View Poll Results: Is sharing the Aegis (SM-3) missile systems with Russia a good idea?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - it's fine

    2 12.50%
  • No - it's crazy

    14 87.50%
  • Other (explain)

    0 0%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 85

Thread: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

  1. #41
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,606

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Uh... So in your opinion we gave up more than we got out of that treaty, so somehow you think they won't honor future agreements, even though they are honoring that one? That doesn't make sense.
    What doesn't make sense is why you keep saying this is my issue. I'm having problems with your honesty here.


    Anyways, it isn't really true that we gave more than we got out of that treaty. That's just the usual banter of right wing pundits. We got a ton of out of it. Huge expansion of inspection rights and whatnot, which is really what we're most interested in with regards to Russia.
    Why, because you say so?


    But they also are having to cut their number of warheads by half and lots of other stuff.
    No, they don't. Their warhead counts are negligibly above the limits set by the treaty, whereas ours are significantly above. All this does is negate, as I said, our strategic advantage. And give up our missile defense commitments, which was the prerequisite for negotiating the treaty.

    We got squat. We gave up a lot. It'll happen again.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #42
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    What doesn't make sense is why you keep saying this is my issue. I'm having problems with your honesty here.
    Maybe you should just lay out your argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Why, because you say so?
    No, because that's a fact. Our primary concern, by far, is that none of the Russian nukes slip into the hands of terrorists. So being able to inspect them and count them and check out the security and hold them accountable for all of them and make sure they're complying with all the agreements and whatnot is crucial.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No, they don't. Their warhead counts are negligibly above the limits set by the treaty, whereas ours are significantly above. All this does is negate, as I said, our strategic advantage. And give up our missile defense commitments, which was the prerequisite for negotiating the treaty.

    We got squat. We gave up a lot. It'll happen again.
    lol. Ok, so your stance is that in your opinion the last treaty wasn't a good deal, so we shouldn't make any more treaties... Uh...

    I think your problem is that you're envisioning it like it's still the cold war or something and Russia is our enemy. Our goal here isn't to increase our power relative to Russia. Our primary goal is to prevent Russian nukes from ending up in the hands of terrorists or Iran or whatever. Maybe that's why you're glossing over the biggest things we're getting out of these treaties- because you aren't understanding our goals?

  3. #43
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,606

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Maybe you should just lay out your argument.
    I did, in plain language. I wouldn't have thought it was hard to follow.


    No, because that's a fact. Our primary concern, by far, is that none of the Russian nukes slip into the hands of terrorists.
    According to whom? It's not a fact because you declare it such.



    lol. Ok, so your stance is that in your opinion the last treaty wasn't a good deal, so we shouldn't make any more treaties... Uh...
    OK, you're doing it again. I didn't say that. What I did say was quite plain, and if you're not going to deal with it honestly, I don't see why I should bother with you any further.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #44
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I did, in plain language. I wouldn't have thought it was hard to follow.

    According to whom? It's not a fact because you declare it such.

    OK, you're doing it again. I didn't say that. What I did say was quite plain, and if you're not going to deal with it honestly, I don't see why I should bother with you any further.
    Look, if you think you have an argument here, you should explain it because as far as I can tell you're just lobbing out vague statements about how you think Russia will screw us and then retreating from any more specific position.

  5. #45
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    They've reduced their arsenal by almost 97% so far, so yeah, I don't see any reason they won't continue. They won't go to zero I assume, but the risk is proportional to the number of nukes they have. 2,000 means many more facilities, personnel, transportation operations, etc, that could lead to a weapon being leaked than if they have a smaller number.

    Their biggest concern is that they don't want to give up the deterrence that nukes give them, same reason we don't want to give ours up. Giving them defensive technology that meets the same need in exchange for agreements to give up more nukes makes a lot of sense both for them and for us IMO.
    You think the reason we are trying to convince Russia to disarm their nuke stockpile is to lesson the chance of one getting stolen? If that were the case we would just ask really nice like if they would let us build a big fence around their storage facility. America is in a position of strength right now, and yet we are still bargaining with them like they are in charge. Of course they will keep working with us as long as we keep giving over billions of dollars worth of R&D in exchange for them letting us pay for disarming their antiquated nukes. They are never going to let them all go, so whats the point, if they can still destroy the world 3 times over, instead of 500 times over?

  6. #46
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    You think the reason we are trying to convince Russia to disarm their nuke stockpile is to lesson the chance of one getting stolen?
    Most definitely it is. That's been our primary goal ever since the USSR disbanded. Every president we've had since then has explicitly stated that many times, the primary goals we've pushed for in our relationship with them have all been related to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    They are never going to let them all go, so whats the point, if they can still destroy the world 3 times over, instead of 500 times over?
    Again, you're missing the point. Nobody is concerned about a nuclear war between the US and Russia... That's kind of silly. The concern at present is that a guard captain that has the midnight shift at some remote silo has his family kidnapped and is told that if he doesn't look the other way when somebody steals one of the nukes, they'll kill his family. Or a scientist somewhere is offered $5 million. Or that a region of Russia will be taken over by a rebel faction that will seize the nukes. That kind of thing.

    As for why Russia won't let us just "build a wall around the nukes", it is because they want to retain control of their own arsenal. They wouldn't just want to turn control over to the US of course. So we have certainly been helping finance efforts to improve security and we've gotten concessions to allow us to inspect and to move certain missiles to locations we believe will be more secure and so on. That's the main focus on our side in all these negotiations- trying to get the Russians to reduce the numbers of warheads, trying to get them to centralize them and upgrade security, trying to get them to let us help secure them, inspections, etc.

  7. #47
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,683
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Hell no, it's a horrible idea! It's more than crazy, it's bat**** insane. Why doesn't he just send them a map of our missle silos, a spare key to the nuke box, and invite them to build a few Russian military bases around the country so they can keep an eye on our newest military technology?

    I can't believe this. It's nuts.

  8. #48
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    I doubt that the Russians didn't have anti-nuke capabilities, but the Aegis will surely enhance it dramatically, as well as their naval capabilities.
    The Aegis is the one big argument that nukes are invulnerable
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  9. #49
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Again, you're missing the point. Nobody is concerned about a nuclear war between the US and Russia... That's kind of silly.
    How old are you? Do you even remember the cuban missile crisis? The Cold War? It almost got really hot! To ignore the lessons we learned, or in your case, should have learned, is just plain stupid!


    As for why Russia won't let us just "build a wall around the nukes", it is because they want to retain control of their own arsenal. They wouldn't just want to turn control over to the US of course. So we have certainly been helping finance efforts to improve security and we've gotten concessions to allow us to inspect and to move certain missiles to locations we believe will be more secure and so on. That's the main focus on our side in all these negotiations- trying to get the Russians to reduce the numbers of warheads, trying to get them to centralize them and upgrade security, trying to get them to let us help secure them, inspections, etc.
    You really are niave arent you? You really think there is no possible scenario where things COULD change in the future to the point that America and Russia return to the relationship we had only 40 years ago?? If that possibility exists, which it does, why give a potential enemy the blueprints to our house? Do you think after WWI anyone thought that Germany could be capable of launching a second world war within only few decades?? Would we have allowed it to happen if we hadnt found out to late? Should we have shared the atomic bomb with Hitler as a sign of friendship between our two countries? You wanna talk about silly, YOUR silly.

    And if we are already pulling guard duty for a country incapable of keeping their own weapons from being sold to terrorists, why give them another piece of technology they cant keep their hands on?
    Last edited by Dpetty; 01-09-12 at 11:10 PM.

  10. #50
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    How old are you? Do you even remember the cuban missile crisis? The Cold War? It almost got really hot! To ignore the lessons we learned, or in your case, should have learned, is just plain stupid!
    You think it is "stupid" to be aware that the cold war ended almost 30 years ago now? Uh...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    You really are niave arent you? You really think there is no possible scenario where things COULD change in the future to the point that America and Russia return to the relationship we had only 40 years ago?? If that possibility exists, which it does, why give a potential enemy the blueprints to our house? Do you think after WWI anyone thought that Germany could be capable of launching a second world war within only few decades?? Would we have allowed it to happen if we hadnt found out to late? Should we have shared the atomic bomb with Hitler as a sign of friendship between our two countries? You wanna talk about silly, YOUR silly.

    And if we are already pulling guard duty for a country incapable of keeping their own weapons from being sold to terrorists, why give them another piece of technology they cant keep their hands on?
    Shared the atomic bomb with Hitler! lol. Be serious. We're talking about REDUCING their number of nuclear weapons in exchange for 10 year old DEFENSIVE technology... The nukes are clearly the larger threat. Sure, theoretically it is possible that some day we'll be launching ICBMs at Russia, although that is pretty far fetched, and they'll be able to block them because they have this defense system... It's 10,000 more likely that we'll face a threat from a soviet era nuclear bomb that was smuggled out of Russia. That's the real threat.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •