View Poll Results: How should Marijuana be dealt with?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stricter federal laws must be made, and more money put to enforcing them

    13 10.83%
  • Give individual states the right to decide how to go about it

    39 32.50%
  • Legalize it through a federal law

    52 43.33%
  • Give states the right to decide about it as long as they abide by certain Federal guidelines

    16 13.33%
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 409

Thread: Marijuana

  1. #391
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    02-23-12 @ 04:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    791

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Banning vices does not really work. People would still do it, except they would then do it in a dangerous, criminal economy that is far more likely to create negative externalities than an open market.
    Yup, every since we re-legalized alcohol, people are not going blind, dying, or being gunned down by organized mafia syndicates over the rum running.

  2. #392
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Antiderivative View Post
    Yup, every since we re-legalized alcohol, people are not going blind, dying, or being gunned down by organized mafia syndicates over the rum running.
    In Britain actually since we have had more liberalised licensing laws there have been increased problems with alcohol and its effects. It is the case in Australia as well that too liberal licensing laws, such as the ability of pubs to open till 5am for instance, has often seen increased ill effects of alcohol.

    I'm not sure I support them, but you have to admit the drives against smoking, including regulations and prohibitions, have had some effect.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  3. #393
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    But you keep saying that as if that means it is never illegitimate to regulate or prohibit such actions.
    I've simply said that vices should not be banned to the extent that they are not coercive

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Actually I have repeatedly, earlier in the thread.
    Where? I've seen you argue that Amsterdam and Nevada are not good samples, although I don't know what this is based on. Even if these two areas were bad examples. I still have not seen any evidence that banning prostitution solves more problems than it creates.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  4. #394
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    I've simply said that vices should not be banned to the extent that they are not coercive
    And I simply pointed out that this is a priori position which I disagree with, and have given various reasons.


    Where? I've seen you argue that Amsterdam and Nevada are not good samples, although I don't know what this is based on. Even if these two areas were bad examples. I still have not seen any evidence that banning prostitution solves more problems than it creates.
    I argued the topic long ago in this thread, it is all there. I'm afraid I'm not inclined or required to repeat it. I used rational argument rather than any sort of statistical evidence, but firstly we need to start with right thought, secondly statistical evidence is so reliant on rational categorisation and evaluation that it is not the panacea some hold it up to be and lastly in such a setting as this, at this time it is what we have to get master before moving on in our analysis.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #395
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    And I simply pointed out that this is a priori position which I disagree with, and have given various reasons.


    I argued the topic long ago in this thread, it is all there. I'm afraid I'm not inclined or required to repeat it. I used rational argument rather than any sort of statistical evidence, but firstly we need to start with right thought, secondly statistical evidence is so reliant on rational categorisation and evaluation that it is not the panacea some hold it up to be and lastly in such a setting as this, at this time it is what we have to get master before moving on in our analysis.
    I read through the thread. You said why you thought legalizing prostitution would create problems, but I did not see any evidence to actually support this.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  6. #396
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    I read through the thread. You said why you thought legalizing prostitution would create problems, but I did not see any evidence to actually support this.
    You are wrong. I gave rational analysis, including of those places offered as successes. As I said rational evidence is evidence. If we do not start with right thought then we cannot make sense of the issues, and anyway statistics are treacherous, they require a lot of rational categorisation and evaluation to be of any use.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  7. #397
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    Freedom and security are yin and yang forces that only work well when paired in dynamic balance.

    Those who are constantly screaming "Freedom! Freedom! Freedom!" .. are probably lacking in personal security.

    As to why any parent would want to keep their pre-teens and young teens from the scourage of a deadly drug like pot, got me by the sneakers.

    Seriously, though, I don't have all the answers; don't profess to.

    But this OP -- Street Pot Is Irrefutably Deadly -- has quite a few. Did you read it? What'd you think?
    I don't know if you have kids or not but despite the laws parents aren't keeping their pre-teens and young teens from the scourage of pot now. Pot is probably more available among teens than any other age group. Unlike the people characterized in the OP I have never been a regular user of pot. I would characterize my history with pot as very casual and rare. So I am not some paranoid, delusional pot head yet I think the pot should be legalized and controlled just like alcohol. We can still just like any parent today try keep our kids from the scourage of pot by our guidance, diligence and training just like we try to keep our kids from other harmful things and activities.
    Last edited by jambalaya; 01-19-12 at 11:10 AM.

  8. #398
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    240

    Re: Marijuna

    If it doesn't help build a society and make it healthy & strong, then it should have no place in a nation of laws.

  9. #399
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    You are wrong. I gave rational analysis, including of those places offered as successes. As I said rational evidence is evidence. If we do not start with right thought then we cannot make sense of the issues, and anyway statistics are treacherous, they require a lot of rational categorisation and evaluation to be of any use.
    Statistics may be treacherous, but they are not useless. What specific harms came out of decriminalizing or legalizing prostitution? Amsterdam and Nevada are two very different places that both experienced similar results.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  10. #400
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbelt View Post
    If it doesn't help build a society and make it healthy & strong, then it should have no place in a nation of laws.
    Human consumption of marijuana predates CIVILIZATION.

    Its been with us the whole time and clearly didn't keep us from getting HERE.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •