View Poll Results: How should Marijuana be dealt with?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stricter federal laws must be made, and more money put to enforcing them

    13 10.83%
  • Give individual states the right to decide how to go about it

    39 32.50%
  • Legalize it through a federal law

    52 43.33%
  • Give states the right to decide about it as long as they abide by certain Federal guidelines

    16 13.33%
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 409

Thread: Marijuana

  1. #311
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Comparing murder to smoking weed is dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Yes I agree, LOL! nice catch evanescence!
    I never compared murder to weed.

    Ergo, there was no "catch."

  2. #312
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Logically, if drugs and prostitution were legal, both would be safer. Isn't that more important than other considerations?
    No. We have to think at a social and cultural level as well as what might be better for junkees and prostitutes.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  3. #313
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Will people ever stop with this stupid straw-man argument that gets flung at Liberals and Libertarians? No one says that a man is an island. He simply is not a cog in a machine. People have the right and ability to react to society and find their place in it. The government does not need to be there to wipe crap from our bottoms or dress us. People are social and largely moral, not because someone makes them do it, but because they want to be. You've been talking in abstracts, and I have not seen any evidence of "moral decay" (whatever the hell that is) in places where prostitution is legal. Meanwhile, we do know that allowing people to engage in vices that you don't like (and, in this case, I don't really like either) but don't violate anyone's rights tends to reduce harm to society and the people involved in those vices
    The Marxist says he is not a collectivist, the liberal says he is not an atomist, when pushed. When you get down to it they are almost always these. You have shown that you may be rather quickly when you associate any sort of governmental and societal role in morality and social cohesion with the governmental simply forcing people to do things. As if it were simply some simplistic choice of completely removing all government roles in these issues or having them do everything for everyone. This denotes a simplistic view of society.

    I have been talking about the basic, intellectual issues. If this is abstract then it is a necessary abstraction in the contexts.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  4. #314
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Do you find it ironic that some on the right would stand and demand more "personal accountability" when it comes to financial solvency but would just as willingly try to regulate private, personal behavior for the "common good"?
    Come let me tell you a tale of what it means to be a conservative.

    A conservative believes very much in individual responsibility and the individual. He however realises he is a social animal. That society and culture not only regulate him, but help to form his personality and provide him meaning and purpose. This society in turn is made up of society at large and just as importantly intermediate associations, like family, community and work, which are ever present in the lives of individuals, regulating and forming them and bringing them into a somewhat healthy relationship with society at large. All these layers of society are made up of a complex web of associations, authorities, loyalties, relations, ideas and so forth. Culture and Imagination are essential aspects as well, because men do not just do things and view things, healthily, in a simplistic and utilitarian way. All their ideas, particularly the important ones like values and meaning, tend to take on a deep significance based on the concepts that become associated with them and they also tend to be weaved loosely together into one diverse but coherent cultural whole, in a healthy society. Now government must tread carefully in this complex mesh of society and culture, but as it can effect it anyway, culturally and socially, and as there is no a priori reason why it shouldn't do its limited bit, there is no reason to rule out the government helping to support society and culture in various ways. It must be watched to see it doesn't usurp areas of individual and associational responsibility, but that doesn't mean it can have no role. It is simply not the case that individual responsibility alone can form a healthy and cohesive society.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 01-11-12 at 06:15 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #315
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I never compared murder to weed.

    Ergo, there was no "catch."
    Umm.... lets just back track and see exactly what you said .... oh yeah, here it is:

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Question: If murder was made legal, would that as well drop the rate in murder?
    You were either making an analogy with prostitution (which would be off topic) or you were making an analogy with marijuana use, either way, murder is not comparable to either of those currently illegal activities and that was the whole point, i.e. the "catch".

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Umm.... lets just back track and see exactly what you said .... oh yeah, here it is:



    You were either making an analogy with prostitution (which would be off topic) or you were making an analogy with marijuana use, either way, murder is not comparable to either of those currently illegal activities and that was the whole point, i.e. the "catch".
    Actually, no.

    Actually, I was testing this line of logic:

    "Legalizing something decreases the occurence of that once-illegal something."

    I was not comparing the two, but rather focusing on that line of logic.

  7. #317
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Actually, no.

    Actually, I was testing this line of logic:

    "Legalizing something decreases the occurrence of that once-illegal something."
    I am not saying you were comparing; what you were doing was trying to make the legalization of marijuana analogous to the legalization of murder (when they are two incomparable activities; see the following explanation). Your argument was that you think that legalizing murder would not lead to less murders, therefore, legalizing marijuana would not lead to less marijuana use. While I see what you were trying to do, it was ineffective because the motivations for committing murder are different from those for using marijuana. Make sense? Basically is was an outrageously inappropriate analogy.

  8. #318
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I never compared murder to weed.
    yeah you did.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  9. #319
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Marijuana

    A study just came out that says moderate pot smokers have better lungs than non pot smokers, probably from holding their breath all the time.

  10. #320
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    The Marxist says he is not a collectivist, the liberal says he is not an atomist, when pushed. When you get down to it they are almost always these. You have shown that you may be rather quickly when you associate any sort of governmental and societal role in morality and social cohesion with the governmental simply forcing people to do things. As if it were simply some simplistic choice of completely removing all government roles in these issues or having them do everything for everyone. This denotes a simplistic view of society.

    I have been talking about the basic, intellectual issues. If this is abstract then it is a necessary abstraction in the contexts.
    So now you're telling me what I think? No, Wessexman, I'm not an atomist. Each person has a place in society, but it is up to people to pick that spot. We do not need government controlling our every move. Again, what happened in Amsterdam and Nevada? You have not provided any evidence of the harms caused by legalizing things like prostitution
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •