View Poll Results: How should Marijuana be dealt with?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stricter federal laws must be made, and more money put to enforcing them

    13 10.83%
  • Give individual states the right to decide how to go about it

    39 32.50%
  • Legalize it through a federal law

    52 43.33%
  • Give states the right to decide about it as long as they abide by certain Federal guidelines

    16 13.33%
Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 409

Thread: Marijuana

  1. #281
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Roaches in a marijuana thread?

    I prefer this:

    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by NGNM85 View Post
    This is a flawed comparison. There are enormous differences between soliciting a prostitute, and committing first degree murder. There's really no equivalency, there. the reason why STD infections are less common in areas where prostitution is legalized is because they regulate it, they require that brothels meet certain health codes, among other things, they require the use of condoms, as well as STD testing. This is also more attractive to the customers, most of whom would rather go to a safe establishment where they know they won't catch anything, even if they have to pay a little more. It's a win/win. Better for the girls, better for society.

    Back to the point; there simply aren't any cogent arguments for the prohibition of marijuana. It should be legalized, immediately.
    You misread my post, as well.

    The logic is that legalizing something decreases the occurence.

    If you legalize all drugs, supposedly less people will use drugs.
    If you legalize prostitution, supposedly less people will either be prostitutes/seek out prostitutes.

    Thus, I wonder if the same would hold true for thievery and murder.

    Remember. Legalizing something lowers the occurence, so, by that logic, anything you legalize will undoubtedly lower the occurence?

    According to whichever questions I recieve, why would that logic work for prostitution yet not murder, when they are both illegal things? What exactly are the differences which cause that logic to bend?




    You see, I believe logic must be absolute. No wiggle room for bias and emotion to confuse it. If 2 +2 = 4, then 2 + 2 must equal 4.

    With that, here is the phrase of logic:

    "Legalizing anything will decrease the occurence of said once-illegal thing [drugs, prostitution, whatever]."

    Therefore, would this also apply to murder and other currently illegal things? Why?
    Last edited by Wake; 01-11-12 at 02:41 PM.

  3. #283
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    You misread my post, as well.

    The logic is that legalizing something decreases the occurence.

    If you legalize all drugs, supposedly less people will use drugs.
    If you legalize prostitution, supposedly less people will either be prostitutes/seek out prostitutes.

    Thus, I wonder if the same would hold true for thievery and murder.

    Remember. Legalizing something lowers the occurence, so, by that logic, anything you legalize will undoubtedly lower the occurence?

    According to whichever questions I recieve, why would that logic work for prostitution yet not murder, when they are both illegal things? What exactly are the differences which cause that logic to bend?




    You see, I believe logic must be absolute. No wiggle room for bias and emotion to confuse it. If 2 +2 = 4, then 2 + 2 must equal 4.

    With that, here is the phrase of logic:

    "Legalizing anything will decrease the occurence of said once-illegal thing [drugs, prostitution, whatever]."

    Therefore, would this also apply to murder and other currently illegal things? Why?
    legalizing pot would decrease the use of pot? that's not logical at all, wake.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    legalizing pot would decrease the use of pot? that's not logical at all, wake.
    I argue that legalizing pot would increase the use. I also argue that legalizing prostitution would increase the occurence of prostituting/seeking prostitutes. Since I've been here, that's been my stance, and a logical one, imho, at that.

    My earlier posts are checking the claims of other arguments.

  5. #285
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    You misread my post, as well.

    The logic is that legalizing something decreases the occurence.

    If you legalize all drugs, supposedly less people will use drugs.
    If you legalize prostitution, supposedly less people will either be prostitutes/seek out prostitutes.

    Thus, I wonder if the same would hold true for thievery and murder.

    Remember. Legalizing something lowers the occurence, so, by that logic, anything you legalize will undoubtedly lower the occurence?

    According to whichever questions I recieve, why would that logic work for prostitution yet not murder, when they are both illegal things? What exactly are the differences which cause that logic to bend?




    You see, I believe logic must be absolute. No wiggle room for bias and emotion to confuse it. If 2 +2 = 4, then 2 + 2 must equal 4.

    With that, here is the phrase of logic:

    "Legalizing anything will decrease the occurence of said once-illegal thing [drugs, prostitution, whatever]."

    Therefore, would this also apply to murder and other currently illegal things? Why?
    I'm not aware that anyone said that. If they did, they were wrong. All I've heard people say, what I say, is that it's likely that if cannabis or other drugs were legalized, that we would see a reduction in the prevelence of drug use. That's borne out by comparisons to other countries that have done so, and where drug use is significantly less prevalent than in the United States. Drug use, and murder are both illegal, but they are fundamentally different things.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by NGNM85 View Post
    I'm not aware that anyone said that. If they did, they were wrong. All I've heard people say, what I say, is that it's likely that if cannabis or other drugs were legalized, that we would see a reduction in the prevelence of drug use. That's borne out by comparisons to other countries that have done so, and where drug use is significantly less prevalent than in the United States. Drug use, and murder are both illegal, but they are fundamentally different things.
    They may be different things, but the logic I have heard from others is that "legalizing something decreases the occurence." Either that statement is wrong, or the person who said that is dealing in absolutes instead of shades of grey. Iirc, Evanescence argued that legalizing drugs decreases the occurence. I think it would increase the occurence. I check her logic to see if she thinks that way about anything else, like prostitution and other currently illegal things.

    I don't know the EXACT how/why use would decrease if legalized. IF prostitution were legalized, undoubtedly more people would swarm to it with all of those protective benefits, so why not the same with drugs?

  7. #287
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Marijuna

    Marijuana Smoking Does Not Harm Lungs, Study Finds

    A large new government study has found that smoking marijuana on a regular basis, even over many years, does not impair lung function.

    Marijuana Smoking Does Not Harm Lungs, Study Finds - NYTimes.com

  8. #288
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I argue that legalizing pot would increase the use. I also argue that legalizing prostitution would increase the occurence of prostituting/seeking prostitutes. Since I've been here, that's been my stance, and a logical one, imho, at that.

    My earlier posts are checking the claims of other arguments.
    instead of me making a lengthy time consuming post here, let me just give you a link to a couple of previous posts for you to mull over.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/genera...post1058236364

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1058649799

    there are likely repeat studies between the two links. especially look at the situation with Portugal and their usage rates.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  9. #289
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    They may be different things, but the logic I have heard from others is that "legalizing something decreases the occurence." Either that statement is wrong, or the person who said that is dealing in absolutes instead of shades of grey. Iirc, Evanescence argued that legalizing drugs decreases the occurence. I think it would increase the occurence. I check her logic to see if she thinks that way about anything else, like prostitution and other currently illegal things.

    I don't know the EXACT how/why use would decrease if legalized. IF prostitution were legalized, undoubtedly more people would swarm to it with all of those protective benefits, so why not the same with drugs?
    This is a prime example of a strawman argument. They claim legalizing drugs would reduce consumption of drugs. You claim then that legalizing homicide or anything illegal would reduce murders or anything that we made legal. You've extremely twisted their point. They're talking about drugs specifically. You're the one talking about everything else.

    Don't get me wrong, I don't THINK it would reduce consumption. But I can't stand by and let you build an argument on such a twisted premise that only you have stated.

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Marijuana Smoking Does Not Harm Lungs, Study Finds

    A large new government study has found that smoking marijuana on a regular basis, even over many years, does not impair lung function.

    Marijuana Smoking Does Not Harm Lungs, Study Finds - NYTimes.com
    Effects on the Lungs
    Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer;6 however, a recent case-controlled study found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or upper digestive tract cancers.7 Thus, the link between marijuana smoking and these cancers remains unsubstantiated at this time.

    Nonetheless, marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.8 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.
    Marijuana - InfoFacts - NIDA

    Are you saying that study trumps these .gov websites?

Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •