View Poll Results: How should Marijuana be dealt with?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stricter federal laws must be made, and more money put to enforcing them

    13 10.83%
  • Give individual states the right to decide how to go about it

    39 32.50%
  • Legalize it through a federal law

    52 43.33%
  • Give states the right to decide about it as long as they abide by certain Federal guidelines

    16 13.33%
Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 409

Thread: Marijuana

  1. #191
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    People use sex as a bargaining tool all the time. Legislating on the basis of your morality disregards the morality of all others....which is why it's a faulty premise for law.
    All law is based on morality. No one but a few intellectuals ever made laws simply on some sort of calculations of social utility. You cannot make most men understand or respect such laws. Most people cannot help but thinking of right and wrong as the basis of law.

    Prostitution is a particularly glaring instance of selling sex. I don't think you need to make all bargaining with sex illegal to be able to ban prostitution.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Yeah, essentially it's majority rule....except when the majority would rule in a manner that infringes upon the rights of a minority. Legalizing prostitution infringes upon the rights of nobody. Legalizing or decriminalizing drugs infringes upon the rights of nobody. Criminalizing gay marriage infringes upon the rights of a group of people.

    Do you get it? Law should not be based on a moral code which is dynamic (and has always been dynamic). Law should be based on whether or not that law would infringe upon "natural" rights. We can do more for people who are addicted to drugs if we aren't constantly working to throw them in jail. All existing evidence suggests that decriminalizing drug use will actually decrease the number of addicts, death from drugs, and the prison population (and we all know prisons are drastically over crowded in most states). Decriminalizing prostitution provides protections for those who choose to make it their profession.

    So really, you have a choice: You can stand on an arbitrary morality soap box and refuse to decriminalize, but in doing so you must also accept that your stance will lead to more harm, pain, illness, and death for those you're classifying as criminals. Or, you can accept that decriminalization allows for safety, rehabilitation, and protection for the so called "victims" of drug use and prostitution and realize that, as a Christian, it is better to do what helps the most people than it is to stand on arbitrary rules from an archaic mindset dictated by men no more equipped to create those guidelines than you are.
    That is something to think about, to be sure. Legalizing prostitution does not, in the slightest, infringe the rights of others. Same can be said for drugs.

    The problem, though, is that we're ignorant of the side-effects. As a nation gives in to such moral decay, how does it affect the nation as a whole?

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Hm, interesting points.

    I just think it's despicable and wrong to sell one's body out to others for sex void of love. So hollow, I think.

    I don't know what to think from a legal standpoint, but that doesn't change my opinion that it's wrong.
    And I agree, except that I replace "wrong" with "a usually poor choice".

    I have had the experience of spending time in countries where it was legal. And I have spent time becoming familiar with those luxuries.

    LOL .... before you assume that I shelled out $20, let me say that I have interviewed legal prostitutes. I have examined their "medical" books. Their licensing and/or permit requirements. Interviewed those who ran establishments where the girls plied their wares, and what their concerns were. And interviewed several levels of customers.

    Legal prostitution is so much better for the prostitutes, and their customers, and their communities, than what we have here in the US.

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    That is something to think about, to be sure. Legalizing prostitution does not, in the slightest, infringe the rights of others. Same can be said for drugs.

    The problem, though, is that we're ignorant of the side-effects. As a nation gives in to such moral decay, how does it affect the nation as a whole?
    And if the end result is less "moral decay", then your argument has lost its merit ?

  5. #195
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    That is something to think about, to be sure. Legalizing prostitution does not, in the slightest, infringe the rights of others. Same can be said for drugs.

    The problem, though, is that we're ignorant of the side-effects. As a nation gives in to such moral decay, how does it affect the nation as a whole?
    It would not be giving in to "moral decay" because people are already engaging in these activities, and legalizing it isn't going to dramatically increase the number of people engaging in these activities. Would you smoke weed, and go to prostitutes if it were legal? I think not.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #196
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    That is something to think about, to be sure. Legalizing prostitution does not, in the slightest, infringe the rights of others. Same can be said for drugs.

    The problem, though, is that we're ignorant of the side-effects. As a nation gives in to such moral decay, how does it affect the nation as a whole?
    Do you think we've decayed morally because women are now allowed to divorce their husbands?
    Do you think we've decayed morally because men can now be charged with a crime for beating their wives?
    Do you think we've decayed morally because many Christians eat food forbidden by the bible?
    Do you think we've decayed morally because parents are not allowed to beat their children into submission without fear of legal consequences?

    Morality is fluid.

    Honestly, I think society is more threatened by narrow-mindedness and hatred than it is by any religious-based moral decay. Remember, it's the fundamental, radicalized, strict-adherence religious followers who lead the chargers for war...not the "loose acting" casual followers. That should speak volumes about the risk of narrow adherence to arbitrary moral codes.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  7. #197
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Not really, cigarettes are legal, and they are not viewed as a good thing to do. In my view morality is up to the people to practice for themselves, not for the government to force on the people. Laws should be practical, keep the people safe, and improve their lives, not force people to be moral.
    I don't think prostitution will be the same as cigarettes. Cigarettes are despised by all the trendy groups and cultural viewpoints. Such people and groups, with the exception of the Germaine Greer's of the world, do not necessarily despise prostitution and their ideologies see little wrong with it.

    I think morality has a social aspect. I do not think it is necessarily government's job to simply legislate this, but that doesn't mean that it can't have a role in maintaining social morality in certain areas.

    It must be remembered there is a difference between forcing people to act morally and in certain areas stopping them acting immorally. You can help prevent the indulgence of certain temptations without simply forcing people to be moral.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  8. #198
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Of course, it is possible to believe that the first front in an effective War on Drugs is best started by legalizing drugs.
    That seems a rather 'French' approach to military strategy.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  9. #199
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Do you think we've decayed morally because women are now allowed to divorce their husbands?
    Do you think we've decayed morally because men can now be charged with a crime for beating their wives?
    Do you think we've decayed morally because many Christians eat food forbidden by the bible?
    Do you think we've decayed morally because parents are not allowed to beat their children into submission without fear of legal consequences?

    Morality is fluid.

    Honestly, I think society is more threatened by narrow-mindedness and hatred than it is by any religious-based moral decay. Remember, it's the fundamental, radicalized, strict-adherence religious followers who lead the chargers for war...not the "loose acting" casual followers. That should speak volumes about the risk of narrow adherence to arbitrary moral codes.
    Damn you tess for explaining things better than me! It's probably a good think I start going back to school tomorrow
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #200
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Marijuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    That is something to think about, to be sure. Legalizing prostitution does not, in the slightest, infringe the rights of others. Same can be said for drugs.

    The problem, though, is that we're ignorant of the side-effects. As a nation gives in to such moral decay, how does it affect the nation as a whole?
    some of us would argue that it is actually a sign of moral decay - make that rot - for a segment of society to impose on another - by law - a prohibition of actions, which actions, if taken, do no harm to any other

    that is a nanny state, which tells us that the state knows better what is good behavior for us than we, who choose to engage in it
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •