View Poll Results: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Liberals

    17 23.29%
  • More Conservatives

    15 20.55%
  • About the same

    26 35.62%
  • Don't know and don't care

    15 20.55%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 101

Thread: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

  1. #61
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Yes, I know, there are more political leans than just conservative/liberal, but I know some have an opinion on this specific question. I'm conducting an experiment. Does it seem to you that there are more liberals (and/or liberal posts) or more conservatives (and/or conservative posts) or is it about equal?

    Poll to follow.
    I'd say it's about the same. To be honest it feels to me like we have a disproportionate number of libertarians relative to the general population.

  2. #62
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

    Well of course the conservatives are going to vote liberal, because anything that doesnt suck the conservative way, is "liberal (school system) (media) (etc)"...


  3. #63
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I voted for more conservatives here than liberals.

    The one thing I know is absolute fact is that the percentage of people who claim they are libertarians is way way way out of proportion to the American populace. For some reason, right wing libertarians have decided that internet message boards are the battleground for the hearts and minds of the next generation.
    Libertarians are the fastest growing party in America. Causality is important here. Do you think that all these people are being converted to the party or do you think that they already held these views and found a party that shares most of them?

    I believe you see a larger representation online because online is the only place where knowledge of the party is really common. I hold the same views (well, most) that I did before I learned about the party. I went online and actually got information instead of jokes from the media and found out my beliefs had a name. I'm guessing I'm far from the only one.
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,882

    Re: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keridan View Post
    Libertarians are the fastest growing party in America. Causality is important here. Do you think that all these people are being converted to the party or do you think that they already held these views and found a party that shares most of them?

    I believe you see a larger representation online because online is the only place where knowledge of the party is really common. I hold the same views (well, most) that I did before I learned about the party. I went online and actually got information instead of jokes from the media and found out my beliefs had a name. I'm guessing I'm far from the only one.
    Results in the last five US presidential elections tell us the opposite story. The label of LIBERTARIAN on the election ballot is like a skull and crossbones on a medicine bottle.

    As to why they hang out on message boards - my own theory is that most are rather anti-social, do not work or play well together and do not have the skills or temperament necessary to build a functioning and successful political organization which involves compromise, sacrifice and daily hard work. So instead, they fight silly battles here deluding themselves into believing they can covert some teen aged randroids to their ersatz philosophy.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #65
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keridan View Post
    Libertarians are the fastest growing party in America. Causality is important here. Do you think that all these people are being converted to the party or do you think that they already held these views and found a party that shares most of them?

    I believe you see a larger representation online because online is the only place where knowledge of the party is really common. I hold the same views (well, most) that I did before I learned about the party. I went online and actually got information instead of jokes from the media and found out my beliefs had a name. I'm guessing I'm far from the only one.
    Now this is just conjecture, but I would hazard a guess and say that there has got to be some sort of correlation between the online community (meaning people who spend a significant amount of time on the Internet and on message boards, etc.) and the degree of (right) libertarianism.

  6. #66
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Results in the last five US presidential elections tell us the opposite story. The label of LIBERTARIAN on the election ballot is like a skull and crossbones on a medicine bottle.

    As to why they hang out on message boards - my own theory is that most are rather anti-social, do not work or play well together and do not have the skills or temperament necessary to build a functioning and successful political organization which involves compromise, sacrifice and daily hard work. So instead, they fight silly battles here deluding themselves into believing they can covert some teen aged randroids to their ersatz philosophy.
    While I'm not a libertarian and there are many aspects of right libertarianism that I dislike, I can understand why they believe what they do, many of their beliefs have merit, and many of the most intelligent posters on this board are libertarians. This is just silly, BS conjecture that has as much merit to it as the "parasitic welfare liberal" stereotype.

  7. #67
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Results in the last five US presidential elections tell us the opposite story. The label of LIBERTARIAN on the election ballot is like a skull and crossbones on a medicine bottle.
    However, the statistics show they are the fastest growing. Check wiki or the party website or just about anywhere. They don't have to be powerful to be on the rise.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    As to why they hang out on message boards - my own theory is that most are rather anti-social, do not work or play well together and do not have the skills or temperament necessary to build a functioning and successful political organization which involves compromise, sacrifice and daily hard work. So instead, they fight silly battles here deluding themselves into believing they can covert some teen aged randroids to their ersatz philosophy.
    This is a large generalization based on ignorance and prejudice. It might even be projection considering how much time I see you on here screaming partisan views in many "battles".

    I know many libertarians who are successful sales people, business persons, and are incredibly popular in social circles. We are not some right wing fringe group. In fact, many of us believe in some social programs and certain left wing ideologies.
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

    We don't have an accurate means to find the truth, and a poll won't indicate it, either.

    We can only guess.

  9. #69
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Now this is just conjecture, but I would hazard a guess and say that there has got to be some sort of correlation between the online community (meaning people who spend a significant amount of time on the Internet and on message boards, etc.) and the degree of (right) libertarianism.
    I would be inclined to agree to some point. However, I think part of that is experiences like mine. I have many many liberal and democratic friends. They feel free to spout their beliefs as if they were fact and treat anyone who disagrees as some sort of evil freak. It doesn't matter that my views are not polarized against them or that I agree on many points, but if I disagree with one or even share something interesting I learned that doesn't agree, I have to face a barrage of attacks.

    Here, it's part of life and I can speak freely without having it impact my other interactions. It's helped me refine my views and even changed some of them.

    Please don't take this as a belief that all liberals or democrats act this way. I'm simply pointing out why I come here for my political discussions. I'm also not sure I qualify as considerably right wing, but I wouldn't fight the description.
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  10. #70
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are There More Liberals or More Conservatives on DP?

    I think there are more conservatives. For the most part, I count Libertarians as conservatives as social issues aren't too much of an area of dispute on here.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •