View Poll Results: What do you think about smoking in cars?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • It shouldn't be banned at all.

    29 58.00%
  • I'm fine with Arkansas's current smoking law.

    3 6.00%
  • I'd like to see the law applied everywhere.

    15 30.00%
  • I don't know/Other

    3 6.00%
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 370

Thread: Smoking in Cars

  1. #331
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The cost benefit analysis argument is bunk. Its an opinion argument to restrict freedom on potential happenings. There is nothing to talk about if you won't ban everything due to the equation because you personally don't see the benefit analysis warranting it. That is an illogical argument, sorry.
    The very fact that the law is based on an analysis is a logical argument.

    You guys are basing the argument on all/nothing, which is a more illogical argument than studying the costs and benefits of allowing something as compared to making it illegal or at least unlawful in connection with other actions/people/places.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The very fact that the law is based on an analysis is a logical argument.

    You guys are basing the argument on all/nothing, which is a more illogical argument than studying the costs and benefits of allowing something as compared to making it illegal or at least unlawful in connection with other actions/people/places.
    No, its not. You are saying because the cost is high for whatever group you decide to look at for the example which you decide is high on personal basis that the freedom is forfeit. That is not an accurate way to look at things, nor is it logical.

    You say well so and so is dangerous and "could" hurt someone so therefore we are going to ban this or if we decide that we like it more than the other and we "feel" the danger is less than this other activity that is not banned and not regulated even IF it still causes harm and the harm is just as real as the other example. However we have decided its less likely, which may or may not be true, so its fine.

    You fail to realize you aren't going to win people over with this trash because other people may or may not even agree with your analysis let alone the premise of your idea of a ban of potentials. You aren't going to convince anyone here.

    The fact balancing dangers is illogical anyway regardless. The world is dangerous, things harm people. Trying to avoid it is no way to behave.
    Last edited by Henrin; 01-10-12 at 09:46 PM.

  3. #333
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Earlier today I heard a conversation about Arkansas, and the illegality of smoking in cars with the windows up. According to them, it's illegal to smoke in a car with children that are, iirc, 6 years of age or younger? I don't know which law this is, and have beeb searching for it to find out exactly what the law entails.

    I have this link that seems to support the conversation I heard: Law on smoking in car with children could change Arkansas - The Debate Team - BabyCenter

    Assuming this is true, I have no problem with the law.

    In fact, I'd like to see smoking in cars with the windows up completely banned, because I've heard 2nd/3rd-hand smoke is pretty dangerous.

    Would you like to see this law applied for the whole country? What do you think?
    Banning smoking in a car with kids in it makes a certain amount of sense. Banning smoking in your own car (absent the presence of minors) is ridiculous. If your friends don't like it, they can just tell you that. If it doesn't work, well... maybe you're not very good friends.

  4. #334
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, its not. You are saying because the cost is high for whatever group you decide to look at for the example which you decide is high on personal basis that the freedom is forfeit. That is not an accurate way to look at things, nor is it logical.

    You say well so and so is dangerous and "could" hurt someone so therefore we are going to ban this or if we decide that we like it more than the other and we "feel" the danger is less than this other activity that is not banned and not regulated even IF it still causes harm and the harm is just as real as the other example. However we have decided its less likely, which may or may not be true, so its fine.

    You fail to realize you aren't going to win people over with this trash because other people may or may not even agree with your analysis let alone the premise of your idea of a ban of potentials. You aren't going to convince anyone here.

    The fact balancing dangers is illogical anyway regardless. The world is dangerous, things harm people. Trying to avoid it is no way to behave.
    What are you talking about?

    Research says that second hand smoke is dangerous time and again.

    Smoking in a car with a child present, on the other hand, provides no real advantages to a person besides convenience to indulge in a destructive habit around others. Voters and politicians have already decided in many places that the dangers of second hand smoke are more important than allowing a person to indulge in their habit anytime they want.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    What are you talking about?

    Research says that second hand smoke is dangerous time and again.
    Doesn't matter to my point.

    Smoking in a car with a child present, on the other hand, provides no real advantages to a person besides convenience to indulge in a destructive habit around others.
    So what? Who cares if it serves on purpose? Why does freedoms have to serve a purpose? If the children feel and can prove a harm was done to them they can prove it. Since I damn well know you can't prove the connection between individual cases of cancer and second hand smoke you have no chickens in the hen house.

    Voters and politicians have already decided in many places that the dangers of second hand smoke are more important than allowing a person to indulge in their habit anytime they want.
    People are scared of freedom, and more interested in prevention. I know, big whoop.

  6. #336
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Doesn't matter to my point.

    So what? Who cares if it serves on purpose? Why does freedoms have to serve a purpose? If the children feel and can prove a harm was done to them they can prove it. Since I damn well know you can't prove the connection between individual cases of cancer and second hand smoke you have no chickens in the hen house.

    People are scared of freedom, and more interested in prevention. I know, big whoop.
    On the contrary, people are concerned for the freedom and health of the other person in the car with you, that child.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #337
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    What are you talking about?

    Research says that second hand smoke is dangerous time and again.

    Smoking in a car with a child present, on the other hand, provides no real advantages to a person besides convenience to indulge in a destructive habit around others. Voters and politicians have already decided in many places that the dangers of second hand smoke are more important than allowing a person to indulge in their habit anytime they want.
    And outside of areas that are owned by the government.... they are wrong for doing so.

    Just like those "public indoor smoking bans" are also unlawful.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #338
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    On the contrary, people are concerned for the freedom and health of the other person in the car with you, that child.
    No, if they were concerned with freedom they would allow it and punish harm when it occurs, not when they could occur. Prevention is not caring for freedom, but being scared of it.

  9. #339
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, if they were concerned with freedom they would allow it and punish harm when it occurs, not when they could occur. Prevention is not caring for freedom, but being scared of it.
    So then preventing people from getting sick from potentially raw, undercooked, or spoiled food through food safety laws is wrong then?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #340
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    And outside of areas that are owned by the government.... they are wrong for doing so.

    Just like those "public indoor smoking bans" are also unlawful.
    You are not the only person in those areas. They are areas entered by other people who are affected by what you do in those areas. If you are smoking, you are affecting other people's health.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •