View Poll Results: What do you think about smoking in cars?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • It shouldn't be banned at all.

    29 58.00%
  • I'm fine with Arkansas's current smoking law.

    3 6.00%
  • I'd like to see the law applied everywhere.

    15 30.00%
  • I don't know/Other

    3 6.00%
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 370

Thread: Smoking in Cars

  1. #311
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    @Tucker Case

    A. The benefits of the usage of cars outweighs the cost. Kids can't walk to the emergency room if they get hit by a car; they have to have a faster means of transportation.
    Well, I thought it would be obvious that emergency vehicles like ambulances would be an exception to the ban. Since it wasn't obvious, I will now clarify that point for you: Emergency vehicles like ambulances, would be an exception to the ban for obvious reasons.

    If a parent decides to transport their child to the hospital on tjheir own after an accident like the one you describe, they should be charged with reckless endangerment. Such transporting of injured individuals should be left to experts.

    B. Engineers are working on cars that will "drive themselves". This will nearly eliminate the issue.
    And if that completely ends all motor vehicle accidents, the ban can be rescinded.

    C. All we ask is that the smoker pull down their windows, or wait until his kids aren't present.
    Laws don't ask, they force.

    This should be enforced because it is preventable, unlike car crashes, which removal of children will actually be more harmful to the children.
    I've reread this about 5 times and it still is not making sense to me. Are you saying that car crashes involving children aren't preventable? If so, you are wrong. I've described an impossibly simple way to prevent them.

    Are you also saying that this prevention would be more harmful to children? If so, I simply laugh at the absurdity of your claim and ask you to provide at just one single shred of evidence to support the idea that children not being in cars is more harmful than children being in cars (which is, to stress the point, the #1 cause of death and serious injury for children under the age of 18).

    The only noticeable negative effect my proposal would have is that it would inconvenience many parents who would need to put their child's safety above their own convenience.

  2. #312
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    There are other ways to prevent child injuries and deaths due to crashes.
    There is nothing that can even come remotely close to being as effective as what I have proposed. Nothing. My proposal would also manage to accomplish the goal that y'all are seeking.

    Why should we allow parents to put their own convenience over the safety of there children? Why do you put convenience above child safety?

    BTW, I'm not presenting a strawman. You really should look that term up before accusing someone of doing it. I'm presenting an alternative solution that !. Accopmplishes the stated goal of protecting children and B. Employs the logic that others are using in a different context.

    This is more correctly called a reduction to absurdity argument, and it is used to show the flaws in someone's logic.

    Note the way that the arguments against my proposal universally fail to address the fact that it does accomplish the stated goals. Far more effectively than their proposal does. It also prevets the very thing that they want to prevent, giving it an added layer of efficacy.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 01-07-12 at 01:36 PM.

  3. #313
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,483

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Force the kids to stay inside their homes 24/7/365 until they are legal adult age. Oh, but wait, what about those parents who force kids to live in the home where they smoke?

  4. #314
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,806

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    The idea that second hand smoke hurts anybody is literally a stupid idea that has no scientific backing what so ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #315
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,483

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The idea that second hand smoke hurts anybody is literally a stupid idea that has no scientific backing what so ever...
    That's what the CEO's of all of the Cigarette companies claimed. They lied! Their lies almost shutdown the industry. But true addicts still are working busily to mame and kill themselves despite solid evidence that smoking mames and kills.

    Now that I think about it...if a person who is just a bystander who is force to breath cigarette smoke...might be subject to the same health issues as people who lit it up and draws in smoke...and exhales smoke.

    Sorry, Bod, but (and I'm not wasting time to do research for you) there's plenty of information and evidence contrary to your claim. Come on, Bod, your a person who works in education...you know there's plenty of evidence that secondhand smoke is dangerous.

    You were just throwing out a burning straw man just waiting for me to come by and shout "fire".
    Last edited by Removable Mind; 01-08-12 at 11:50 AM.

  6. #316
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    All this empirical data about second hand smoke always seemed suspect too me. How can you possibly prove that one with all the extenuating variables? Now first hand smoking, no doubt. But being in a room with circulation inhaling and causing enough damage to be significant, doubtful unless it's extreme. We're exposed to so many other more harmful substances in comparison. I remember George Burns talking about smoking cigars and said he had several doctors who claimed he'd die if he didn't stop, he outlived them all. Guess second hand smoke didn't hurt him that much.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #317
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,806

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    That's what the CEO's of all of the Cigarette companies claimed. They lied! Their lies almost shutdown the industry. But true addicts still are working busily to mame and kill themselves despite solid evidence that smoking mames and kills.

    Now that I think about it...if a person who is just a bystander who is force to breath cigarette smoke...might be subject to the same health issues as people who lit it up and draws in smoke...and exhales smoke.

    Sorry, Bod, but (and I'm not wasting time to do research for you) there's plenty of information and evidence contrary to your claim. Come on, Bod, your a person who works in education...you know there's plenty of evidence that secondhand smoke is dangerous.

    You were just throwing out a burning straw man just waiting for me to come by and shout "fire".
    If you can't do any research then you must not feel very confident about being correct...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #318
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    If you can't do any research then you must not feel very confident about being correct...
    I've provided research. If you chose to actually read through the thread instead of reading the first few posts and then replying, you wouldn't have demanded research.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  9. #319
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Well, I thought it would be obvious that emergency vehicles like ambulances would be an exception to the ban. Since it wasn't obvious, I will now clarify that point for you: Emergency vehicles like ambulances, would be an exception to the ban for obvious reasons.
    I can turn the tables on you with the reductio ad absurdum. Watch:

    Are you saying that ambulances can't crash?

    Laws don't ask, they force.
    Fair enough.



    I've reread this about 5 times and it still is not making sense to me. Are you saying that car crashes involving children aren't preventable? If so, you are wrong. I've described an impossibly simple way to prevent them.

    Are you also saying that this prevention would be more harmful to children? If so, I simply laugh at the absurdity of your claim and ask you to provide at just one single shred of evidence to support the idea that children not being in cars is more harmful than children being in cars (which is, to stress the point, the #1 cause of death and serious injury for children under the age of 18).

    The only noticeable negative effect my proposal would have is that it would inconvenience many parents who would need to put their child's safety above their own convenience.
    The dangers of cigarette smoking have become apparent only recently. We still don't know how many deaths SHS causes.

    I understand your logic, and I understand and admire your debating skills in this matter. But there are still a few flaws.

    A. Most kids don't die in car accidents, yet most kids are in cars. On the other hand, second hand smoke has been shown to cause problems when it is around people.

    B. Again, the benefits to driving children in cars outweighs the costs. Kids can be taken to the doctor's office, and to school that is far away. There are literally no benefits to children who are in a car with a smoker.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  10. #320
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    There are literally no benefits to children who are in a car with a smoker.
    What about children in a car with a flatulence releaser? Shouldn't we ban that also by similar reasoning? If cows are increasing greenhouse gases, how much more pollution are 7.5 billion human poonters destroying the atmosphere with? Save the children, don't pull fingers!
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •