View Poll Results: What do you think about smoking in cars?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • It shouldn't be banned at all.

    29 58.00%
  • I'm fine with Arkansas's current smoking law.

    3 6.00%
  • I'd like to see the law applied everywhere.

    15 30.00%
  • I don't know/Other

    3 6.00%
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 370

Thread: Smoking in Cars

  1. #301
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Throwing cigarette butts out the window is already illegal in many places. It's not enforced very well, though.

  2. #302
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    No it isn't. We can't even make it 100% possible to stop drinking and driving, cell phone use, or other distractions while driving.
    As I said, it's impossible to change the behaviors of addicts unless they want to take on the responsibility of the consequences of their behaviors.

    OUR WORLD USES CARS TO TRANSPORT US ALL, men, women, and children alike. If you want that part of your life discontinued, the advocate for such. Start a movement to end the use of cars. But until then...all you owe your children and their health, welfare and well being is to STOP SMOKING. Then if you can bring yourself to stop drinking, using the cell phone, etc...even the better for you and your children. Your children and other in another car might benefit from your personal changes in your own driving behaviors. But your children don't have to power to make you change your behaviors. You are at the wheel, they aren't.

  3. #303
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    OUR WORLD USES CARS TO TRANSPORT US ALL, men, women, and children alike. If you want that part of your life discontinued, the advocate for such. Start a movement to end the use of cars.
    You realize that the part in bold is a strawman, right? nobody here is trying to end the use of cars. Consenting adults can use whatever mode of transport they desire. I am only talking about it when children are held hostage and their lives placed at risk and doind somehting to stop deaths and injuries to children that are 100% preventable!!!!.

    Perhaps you are using the strawman because the actual proposal relies on the exact same logic that you have presented put into a different context.

  4. #304
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    @Tucker Case

    A. The benefits of the usage of cars outweighs the cost. Kids can't walk to the emergency room if they get hit by a car; they have to have a faster means of transportation. On the other hand, there is no benefit to smoking that outweighs the costs, including the ones to children.

    B. Engineers are working on cars that will "drive themselves". This will nearly eliminate the issue.

    C. All we ask is that the smoker pull down their windows, or wait until his kids aren't present. This should be enforced because it is preventable, unlike car crashes, which removal of children will actually be more harmful to the children.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  5. #305
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You realize that the part in bold is a strawman, right? nobody here is trying to end the use of cars. Consenting adults can use whatever mode of transport they desire. I am only talking about it when children are held hostage and their lives placed at risk and doind somehting to stop deaths and injuries to children that are 100% preventable!!!!.

    Perhaps you are using the strawman because the actual proposal relies on the exact same logic that you have presented put into a different context.
    There are other ways to prevent child injuries and deaths due to crashes. Unlike smoking, cars are a keystone in today's society. We aren't even trying to make smokers not smoke with kids; just not with the windows closed. You are presenting a strawman by suggesting we remove children entirely from the equation, which is not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  6. #306
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Earlier today I heard a conversation about Arkansas, and the illegality of smoking in cars with the windows up. According to them, it's illegal to smoke in a car with children that are, iirc, 6 years of age or younger? I don't know which law this is, and have beeb searching for it to find out exactly what the law entails.

    I have this link that seems to support the conversation I heard: Law on smoking in car with children could change Arkansas - The Debate Team - BabyCenter

    Assuming this is true, I have no problem with the law.

    In fact, I'd like to see smoking in cars with the windows up completely banned, because I've heard 2nd/3rd-hand smoke is pretty dangerous.

    Would you like to see this law applied for the whole country? What do you think?
    Before we go off, half cocked, lets see if this works.
    Similar to the Affordable Health Care Act which was first(I think) established in Massachusetts, we must learn, at all times... an open heart, an open mind..
    And lets not fall in love with our rights to the detriment of others !

  7. #307
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You realize that the part in bold is a strawman, right? nobody here is trying to end the use of cars. Consenting adults can use whatever mode of transport they desire. I am only talking about it when children are held hostage and their lives placed at risk and doind somehting to stop deaths and injuries to children that are 100% preventable!!!!.

    Perhaps you are using the strawman because the actual proposal relies on the exact same logic that you have presented put into a different context.
    Knowing that unavoidable elements that are responsible for compounding kid's hostage situation in vehicles - you know, by adding addition hazardous don't really make sense. Perhaps your blinders will fall off one day and realize that we have to work with what we know.

    You know that cars aren't going away...ever. But that childrens' deaths and injuries should be used as an inspiration to invent the means to substantially reduce those types of casualities resulting from all the various reasons that we are all aware pose as the most predomonate risks.

    Of all of those risks...one of the very easiest places to start is where? Stop smoking, texting, and other behaviors that are totally within the control of the drivers. RESPECT FOR OTHERS is paramount, but way more importantly, respect for children who don't have any control over their own lives and rely on their safety and welfare to those who are their daily guardians and keepers.

  8. #308
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    There are other ways to prevent child injuries and deaths due to crashes. Unlike smoking, cars are a keystone in today's society. We aren't even trying to make smokers not smoke with kids; just not with the windows closed. You are presenting a strawman by suggesting we remove children entirely from the equation, which is not true.
    The children are the primary ingredient in this equation...and discussion...
    And religion poisons nothing; its man's interpretation than can be ruinous.
    And, why is it that arguments from liberals are so logical, make so much sense ???
    Last edited by earthworm; 01-07-12 at 12:33 PM.

  9. #309
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    The children are the primary ingredient in this equation...and discussion...
    And religion poisons nothing; its man's interpretation than can be ruinous.
    And, why is it that arguments from liberals are so logical, make so much sense ???
    Strawman. Yes, they are the primary ingredient, but we're not suggesting that we need to remove them entirely from the equation. We just want to make the world a little safer for them.

    Bring up my signature in my profile, not here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  10. #310
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    There are other ways to prevent child injuries and deaths due to crashes. Unlike smoking, cars are a keystone in today's society. We aren't even trying to make smokers not smoke with kids; just not with the windows closed. You are presenting a strawman by suggesting we remove children entirely from the equation, which is not true.
    Preventing smokers from closing the windows on cars with kids inside is a strawman because it's not enforceable to a realistic degree. Why make legislation that isn't even possible because you're trying to make a statement? I think the counter argument of removing children from dangerous vehicles makes a comparative analogy because neither is sensible.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •