View Poll Results: What do you think about smoking in cars?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • It shouldn't be banned at all.

    29 58.00%
  • I'm fine with Arkansas's current smoking law.

    3 6.00%
  • I'd like to see the law applied everywhere.

    15 30.00%
  • I don't know/Other

    3 6.00%
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 370

Thread: Smoking in Cars

  1. #261
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,136

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Its not my argument to prove. If you want to make a point, do your own research. Obviously the slavery one epically failed.
    you were the one who insisted that there were better examples to be used to make my point
    i invited you to show us the better examples
    you failed
    [emphasis below added by bubba]
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    If a state gets is wrong, then they do. Oh well. The people can vote the legislature and/or governor out and get it changed. Thats the way it works. BTW, the slavery argument holds no water due to the fact that the Fed will not allow it. I think another example, that could actually be passed, would prove your point better.
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #262
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    you were the one who insisted that there were better examples to be used to make my point
    i invited you to show us the better examples
    you failed
    [emphasis below added by bubba]
    Understood. You have nothing to back your point other than using an argument about a practice outlawed in 1865 by the Federal gov't. You also have no contemperary example you can use, so you pick the low hanging fruit because you lack the depth and knowledge to make a solid argument based on recent issues. I think that would have been the cordial and honorable way to say it instead of the childish "no, you're it" way you did it.
    Don't mean to offend you though. If I did, I am so very sorry.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #263
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    01-09-12 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Understood. You have nothing to back your point other than using an argument about a practice outlawed in 1865 by the Federal gov't. You also have no contemperary example you can use, so you pick the low hanging fruit because you lack the depth and knowledge to make a solid argument based on recent issues. I think that would have been the cordial and honorable way to say it instead of the childish "no, you're it" way you did it.
    Don't mean to offend you though. If I did, I am so very sorry.
    If you offended him/her (which I didn't see) it was he/she who chose to be offended. No need to be sorry for that.

  4. #264
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    What should be done if a parent has the car windows up, is smoking, and has two children in the back seat?
    Nothing.

    We need to get away from making laws to protect everyone from everything.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #265
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Nothing.

    We need to get away from making laws to protect everyone from everything.
    Another great point. I tell you, I am Romneying on this one a lot. Can Romney be used as a verb by the way?
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #266
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Please mister, I give up take my smokes...

    Attachment 67120614
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #267
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    I just noticed I am much too far behind to be responding to some of the earlier posts in this thread. My has this thing taken off in 2-3 days...

    Anyways.

    I'll put my point out there....

    Yes, second-hand smoke can be harmful to children.
    No, the intent is not to harm the children..... I don't know anyone who intends to harm someone, but decides they want to do it over the course of 30+years.

    And THAT is where we need to start drawing the line. Intent and Gross Negligence? Sure, make laws against it.
    But simple negligence? People are negligent every day.... even negligent in a way that causes IMMEDIATE harm (not this, over a long ****ing period of time bull****), and yet society just shrugs it off. Even going so far as to renaming what it is really called into an "ACCIDENT". Yes Im talking about car crashes, or collisions. We now call them "Accidents". Oops! Did I just T-Bone you sending you to the hospital?
    Do we take people's cars and license away for that? No. Do we fine them? Depends on what happened and if the collision was a result of a violation of law (even if the violation was not malicious but unintentional).

    Anyways. I got off of the point. The point is that smoking in a car with the windows rolled up is a dumb idea. However, I don't see anything in the constitution about being free to do what you want as long as its not unpopularly considered dumb.

    As to the arguments about INCREASING HEALTH CARE COSTS!!! OMFG!!
    Since when does freedom have a price tag? Since when do we justify removing someone's freedom due to costs? Well.. I shouldn't have asked the question in that manner. Not "since when" anyhow. I should have asked.... "What makes us think the government can do that?" ... "Why did we give the government the authority to take away our freedoms to reduce costs?"

    I'm sure I'll come up with some more thoughts on the subject at some point.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #268
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #269
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I just noticed I am much too far behind to be responding to some of the earlier posts in this thread. My has this thing taken off in 2-3 days...

    Anyways.

    I'll put my point out there....

    Yes, second-hand smoke can be harmful to children.
    No, the intent is not to harm the children..... I don't know anyone who intends to harm someone, but decides they want to do it over the course of 30+years.
    If I shoot my gun up in the air, and it kills someone accidentally, should I still be tried? The actual event is just as important as the intent.

    And THAT is where we need to start drawing the line. Intent and Gross Negligence? Sure, make laws against it.
    But simple negligence? People are negligent every day.... even negligent in a way that causes IMMEDIATE harm (not this, over a long ****ing period of time bull****)
    So only immediate harm counts as harm?

    , and yet society just shrugs it off. Even going so far as to renaming what it is really called into an "ACCIDENT". Yes Im talking about car crashes, or collisions. We now call them "Accidents". Oops! Did I just T-Bone you sending you to the hospital?
    Do we take people's cars and license away for that? No. Do we fine them? Depends on what happened and if the collision was a result of a violation of law (even if the violation was not malicious but unintentional).

    Anyways. I got off of the point. The point is that smoking in a car with the windows rolled up is a dumb idea. However, I don'asee anything in the constitution about being free to do what you want as long as its not unpopularly considered dumb.
    It can actually harm people. That's not "dumb".

    As to the arguments about INCREASING HEALTH CARE COSTS!!! OMFG!!
    Since when does freedom have a price tag? Since when do we justify removing someone's freedom due to costs? Well.. I shouldn't have asked the question in that manner. Not "since when" anyhow. I should have asked.... "What makes us think the government can do that?" ... "Why did we give the government the authority to take away our freedoms to reduce costs?"

    I'm sure I'll come up with some more thoughts on the subject at some point.
    Oh no, a guy can't smoke in the car with kids if the windows are closed! He might have to - *gasp* - OPEN THE WINDOW!! Oh the oppression, the loss of liberty!
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  10. #270
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    If I shoot my gun up in the air, and it kills someone accidentally, should I still be tried? The actual event is just as important as the intent.
    That is Gross Negligence. Deadly weapons are not playthings.


    So only immediate harm counts as harm?
    Do we have a way of isolating the long term to one specific cause?



    It can actually harm people. That's not "dumb".
    So can many things.

    The government needs to get out of the parenting business unless serious intended physical harm is being done.



    Oh no, a guy can't smoke in the car with kids if the windows are closed! He might have to - *gasp* - OPEN THE WINDOW!! Oh the oppression, the loss of liberty!
    It starts that way.... it ends much worse.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •