View Poll Results: What do you think about smoking in cars?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • It shouldn't be banned at all.

    29 58.00%
  • I'm fine with Arkansas's current smoking law.

    3 6.00%
  • I'd like to see the law applied everywhere.

    15 30.00%
  • I don't know/Other

    3 6.00%
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 370

Thread: Smoking in Cars

  1. #251
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Well, then why bring slavery up? There's nothing inherently wrong with Arkansas bringing up a smoking law [in cars], that protect children. I don't think Arkansas is getting this one wrong.
    and we simply disagree

    the slavery issue was brought up to point out that under the guise of states' rights, states get it wrong sometimes ... as i believe arkansas did in this instance
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #252
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    and we simply disagree

    the slavery issue was brought up to point out that under the guise of states' rights, states get it wrong sometimes ... as i believe arkansas did in this instance
    If a state gets is wrong, then they do. Oh well. The people can vote the legislature and/or governor out and get it changed. Thats the way it works. BTW, the slavery argument holds no water due to the fact that the Fed will not allow it. I think another example, that could actually be passed, would prove your point better.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #253
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    If a state gets is wrong, then they do. Oh well. The people can vote the legislature and/or governor out and get it changed. Thats the way it works. BTW, the slavery argument holds no water due to the fact that the Fed will not allow it. I think another example, that could actually be passed, would prove your point better.
    using slavery as an issue is a very obvious way to exhibit bad law fashioned under the guise of states' rights
    no one can quibble that such a states' rights slavery provision resulted in sound law in that instance
    but if you have a better example, please offer it up
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #254
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    using slavery as an issue is a very obvious way to exhibit bad law fashioned under the guise of states' rights
    It wasn't fashioned under that guise. State's rights was just used as a means to defend the State's ability to continue having slavery.

    State's rights shouldn't be blamed for being used immorally.

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    using slavery as an issue is a very obvious way to exhibit bad law fashioned under the guise of states' rights
    no one can quibble that such a states' rights slavery provision resulted in sound law in that instance
    but if you have a better example, please offer it up
    Yeah, slavery was a bad law. We understand that. However, this smoking law is so harmless it shouldn't even be compared to slavery laws.

    Me> I think this state's right law on smoking is A-OK.
    You>> OMG slavery was a state's right law TOO.
    Me>>> Ok...?

  6. #256
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    using slavery as an issue is a very obvious way to exhibit bad law fashioned under the guise of states' rights
    no one can quibble that such a states' rights slavery provision resulted in sound law in that instance
    but if you have a better example, please offer it up
    Its not my argument to prove. If you want to make a point, do your own research. Obviously the slavery one epically failed.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #257
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Yeah, slavery was a bad law. We understand that. However, this smoking law is so harmless it shouldn't even be compared to slavery laws.
    State's rights is a separate issue altogether. But someone who supports states right can look at a law like this, disagree with it, but not care all that much because it is not their state.

    State's rights allows more people to live in the situation they prefer. I disagree with this law, but I don't live in that state so it doesn't affect me. It's far superior to have such a law at the state level than at the national level because of that. I would oppose such a law in my own state, but I only argue about it's asinine nature when it is employed in another state.

    And, for the record, I smoke in my car, but never while my son is in the car. I agree with not smoking in a car that contains children, I disagree with making it a law. If we are going to pass laws like this, we need to start with real problems that cause far more harm than second-hand smoke does, such as fast food being fed to children.

    Look at all the fat little ****ers running aro... scratch that, waddling around these days. The little weeble wobbles are too damned fat to run.

    That's a hell of a lot more unhealthy than second-hand smoke is.

  8. #258
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    State's rights is a separate issue altogether. But someone who supports states right can look at a law like this, disagree with it, but not care all that much because it is not their state.

    State's rights allows more people to live in the situation they prefer. I disagree with this law, but I don't live in that state so it doesn't affect me. It's far superior to have such a law at the state level than at the national level because of that. I would oppose such a law in my own state, but I only argue about it's asinine nature when it is employed in another state.

    And, for the record, I smoke in my car, but never while my son is in the car. I agree with not smoking in a car that contains children, I disagree with making it a law. If we are going to pass laws like this, we need to start with real problems that cause far more harm than second-hand smoke does, such as fast food being fed to children.

    Look at all the fat little ****ers running aro... scratch that, waddling around these days. The little weeble wobbles are too damned fat to run.

    That's a hell of a lot more unhealthy than second-hand smoke is.
    Interesting. I also agree that laws should be passed to deal with the ridiculous nature of fast food.

    For me, personally, I would like to see this law spread nationwide. I guess that makes me similar to those who would like gay marriage spread nationwide, but that's a different issue entirely.

    Second-hand smoke, to me, is dangerous, if you're exposed to enough of it for enough time. But yeah, I recognize there are other things out there that or or may not be worse than second-hand smoke. There's also third-hand smoke which is also an issue:

    Third-hand Smoke: A Bigger Danger Than Perceived? | MedSci Discoveries | Learn Science at Scitable

    THIRD HAND SMOKE - old, dried particulates are actually worse than "second" hand smoke

    The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: New Study Concludes that Thirdhand Smoke Causes Lung Damage to the Fetus; Declares Changing Bedsheets a Problem of Global Proportions

    Smoke-Free Washington :: Thirdhand Smoke

  9. #259
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    I think the reason this Poll is so lopsided in favor of "No Ban" is because it's another freedom lost in favor of political correctness being forced on people. If you're going to honestly protect children from harmful exposure to socially induced causes, fast food, foods high in sugar content, pipe-cigar and BBQ smoke, pesticides, hormones in cattle and chickens, preservatives and dyes used in food, the list goes on and on. Either make the product illegal like prohibition or not but to keep chipping at public usage is neither honest or fair. I think the real reason is because of the cost to healthcare, which seems that everything is being done for money anymore.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    01-09-12 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Lord Have Mercy...after reading all these rants I need a smoke! I think I'll go for a drive.

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •