View Poll Results: What do you think about smoking in cars?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • It shouldn't be banned at all.

    29 58.00%
  • I'm fine with Arkansas's current smoking law.

    3 6.00%
  • I'd like to see the law applied everywhere.

    15 30.00%
  • I don't know/Other

    3 6.00%
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 370

Thread: Smoking in Cars

  1. #11
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,153

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Nothing, mind your own business.
    but these kind of people always know what is best for us and insist there should be a law to regulate our behavior
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #12
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    tobacco is legal.

    until its illegal, folks have the right to smoke in their own home or in their car.
    Two logical fallacies in one!

    1. False dilemma - you must either make tobacco completely illegal or you allow it's use anytime, any place, no middle ground.

    2. Circular argument - we're discussing whether to make tobacco illegal in certain circumstances, so just saying "it's legal" is pointless.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  3. #13
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's a terrible idea and would make a terrible law. Tobacco is a legal product, a car is a person's private property.
    So could you force your children to smoke, in your car?
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  4. #14
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    but these kind of people always know what is best for us and insist there should be a law to regulate our behavior
    Lots of people want more government in our lives. Particularly those who call themselves small government conservatives....they're usually for the largest expansions of government. But it doesn't make it right. Second hand smoke is harmful. The information is out there as well. But so long as tobacco is legal, then I don't see it as proper government force to prevent people on or in their own property from smoking. And I hate the smoking bans in bars and such too. Love the results because I don't smoke, but the method by which the results were obtained is not worth it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    so if a guy decides to smoke one cig., just one time in his car with his kids in the back, he should get a fine or go to jail?

    sorry, that's nanny-state bull****.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    So could you force your children to smoke, in your car?
    Why do I care what you do to your kids? There are legal restrictions on age of smoking and blah blah blah. But I don't see how forcing kids to smoke follows from the argument. Rather it seems like an absurd hyperbole to deflect from the topic.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #17
    Advisor BamaBrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    510
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    we allow parents to expose their kids to bad foods, bad drinks, bad habits of all kinds. Parents have the right to be poor parents, and that includes smoking around their kids.
    I agree. People have the right to do a lot stupid stuff, its called freedom. Like I said. I personally chose not to, but I believe that its no ones business what you do in the privacy of your home or vehicle (so long as it is within the law).
    Last edited by BamaBrat; 01-03-12 at 03:07 PM.

  8. #18
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Two logical fallacies in one!

    1. False dilemma - you must either make tobacco completely illegal or you allow it's use anytime, any place, no middle ground.

    2. Circular argument - we're discussing whether to make tobacco illegal in certain circumstances, so just saying "it's legal" is pointless.
    Most times I would agree with you on these points, but this time I think they're off-base. Regarding smoking, smokers are constantly hammered hammered hammered... if it's not one thing, it's another... then it's something else... yada yada yada. It more of a collective consideration where people say... "Geez, give it up and be intellectually honest and make it completely illegal then. Don't just chip away at it."

  9. #19
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    we allow parents to expose their kids to bad foods, bad drinks, bad habits of all kinds. Parents have the right to be poor parents, and that includes smoking around their kids.
    But there's a limit to that.

    Exposing children regularly to pretty much any other harmful substance could be grounds for child abuse charges. Why not smoke?
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  10. #20
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Most times I would agree with you on these points, but this time I think they're off-base. Regarding smoking, smokers are constantly hammered hammered hammered... if it's not one thing, it's another... then it's something else... yada yada yada. It more of a collective consideration where people say... "Geez, give it up and be intellectually honest and make it completely illegal then. Don't just chip away at it."
    Huh?

    My points stand.

    I don't care if smokers are getting hammered. They deserve to be. Exposing children to harmful fumes should be illegal.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •