View Poll Results: What do you think about smoking in cars?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • It shouldn't be banned at all.

    29 58.00%
  • I'm fine with Arkansas's current smoking law.

    3 6.00%
  • I'd like to see the law applied everywhere.

    15 30.00%
  • I don't know/Other

    3 6.00%
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 370

Thread: Smoking in Cars

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Well, I guess I express contempt for the contempt in your posts.
    My contempt is greater than yours. I simply cannot express it!

  2. #112
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Where's the pro to being allowed to smoke in your car with a child in there? We know the con is potentially exposing your child to dangerous second hand smoke, even if the danger is miniscule.
    It is certainly wise to err on the side of caution in this case. I don't smoke...I don't have kids either. But if both those were true, I would not smoke around my kids. There's no reason in my mind to risk it. But if we're going to call for government force, the government force must be excused. We need information and data to justify the use of government force against the individual.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But the only pro is being able to expose your child to that harm to indulge in that addiction. Any harm at all, and we know there is some from just a little exposure to the smoke by children while they are in an enclosed car, should be enough to legitimize such laws.
    "Any harm" is a bit too vague for excusing government force. We need standards and measurable data to make the call. How much, how long, is that realized in a car? Does opening or closing the window make a difference? Things of this nature need to be answered before we use the government. Before that point, the individual must choose for themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    In fact, I can think of another con, in that smoking, especially lighting that cig, while driving could easily be a distraction to driving. (Personally, I don't think that driving and smoking, without minors in the car, should be against any law though.)
    If you can demonstrate that, you can make the argument.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #113
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    The Onion is one of my favorite joke sources.
    It was good timing. I wasn't looking for anything, but just happened to stumble across this on Facebook and thought of this thread.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    OK, here we go again. look at YOUR post with my added emphasis:

    you were excoriating against the effects of second hand cigarette smoke, and as a comparison, YOU noted how the adverse effects of cigarette smoke did not compare to the [implied] milder effects of auto exhaust fumes

    your post was foolish then and remains so
    your inability to grasp its foolishness of such comparison indicates to me that you are without the ability to comprehend why
    You erred by thinking I implied that exhaust fumes were milder than cigarette smoke.

    Just because I said they were different doesn't mean I think they are worse or better than the other. You see, lemme break this down. If all I said were that green apples and red apples were different, does that mean I think one is better or worse than the others? Or, if you really want a thrill, let's say I said there's a difference between yello and purple spheres. Just because I say they're different doesn't mean I said one is better or worse, as in harmful, than the other.

    Oh yeah, I never said car exhaust couldn't cause cancer over enough period of time, either. See, lemme break this down, too. Let's say I'm talking about the Big Mac and some other unhealthy burger. Let's say that I only said they're different.

    Factually, they are different. Why? Because they are not the same, right? They're not both Big Macs, riiiight? So, that said, if all I say is that the Big Mac is, say, harmful, then realize that's all I said, and that it's not specific. If you're you, you might think I'm saying that the other burger isn't unhealthy at all, or even worse. What do I really think? Well, you might just have to ask me instead of coming up with it yourself. If you asked me, you'd hear that I also think the other burger is unhealthy, too.

    Yeah, I did say that secondhand smoke isn't good. And you know what? That's true. I also said that cigarette smoke was different from exhaust fumes. Guess what? That's true too, because they aren't exactly the same thing, right? I never said exhaust fumes were milder, or that I implied them---YOU assumed that.

    So no, my post wasn't foolish then, and it wasn't foolish now. You're adding words and thoughts to my posts, where I put none. If you want to know if I think cigarette smoke is more harmful than exhaust fume, then ASK ME, instead of saying I implied one is more harmful than the other, capiche? That way, I don't have to break this down to a ridiculous level in order to illuminate exactly where and why you're incorrect.

  5. #115
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    You erred by thinking I implied that exhaust fumes were milder than cigarette smoke.

    Just because I said they were different doesn't mean I think they are worse or better than the other. You see, lemme break this down. If all I said were that green apples and red apples were different, does that mean I think one is better or worse than the others? Or, if you really want a thrill, let's say I said there's a difference between yello and purple spheres. Just because I say they're different doesn't mean I said one is better or worse, as in harmful, than the other.

    Oh yeah, I never said car exhaust couldn't cause cancer over enough period of time, either. See, lemme break this down, too. Let's say I'm talking about the Big Mac and some other unhealthy burger. Let's say that I only said they're different.

    Factually, they are different. Why? Because they are not the same, right? They're not both Big Macs, riiiight? So, that said, if all I say is that the Big Mac is, say, harmful, then realize that's all I said, and that it's not specific. If you're you, you might think I'm saying that the other burger isn't unhealthy at all, or even worse. What do I really think? Well, you might just have to ask me instead of coming up with it yourself. If you asked me, you'd hear that I also think the other burger is unhealthy, too.

    Yeah, I did say that secondhand smoke isn't good. And you know what? That's true. I also said that cigarette smoke was different from exhaust fumes. Guess what? That's true too, because they aren't exactly the same thing, right? I never said exhaust fumes were milder, or that I implied them---YOU assumed that.

    So no, my post wasn't foolish then, and it wasn't foolish now. You're adding words and thoughts to my posts, where I put none. If you want to know if I think cigarette smoke is more harmful than exhaust fume, then ASK ME, instead of saying I implied one is more harmful than the other, capiche? That way, I don't have to break this down to a ridiculous level in order to illuminate exactly where and why you're incorrect.
    ok, then tell us what your point was to compare the difference between second hand smoke and auto exhaust fumes
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #116
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    what, you want evidence that a toddler can be able to stand in the passenger seat of a moving vehicle if the parent does not prohibit it?
    do you actually require such evidence?
    I meant the evidence that costs outweigh benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  7. #117
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    I meant the evidence that costs outweigh benefits.
    the likelihood of potential harm to a toddler by being allowed to stand in the passenger seat of a car is fairly evident to you i would hope
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    ok, then tell us what your point was to compare the difference between second hand smoke and auto exhaust fumes
    I felt like it. OH, and people were also mildly talking about it earlier.

    You know, laying the logical groundwork in a debate. Obviously they're different, and each can lead to cancer over enough time.

    The question, though, is which one is worse? I don't know, which is why I didn't imply one was worse than the others.

    If you want to volunteer and explain which is worse and why, please be my guest.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Cigarette smoke is different than car fumes. Secondhand smoke can still cause cancer, over enough time....
    over a short period of time, car exhaust fumes can cause death.

  10. #120
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: Smoking in Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I felt like it. OH, and people were also mildly talking about it earlier.

    You know, laying the logical groundwork in a debate. Obviously they're different, and each can lead to cancer over enough time.

    The question, though, is which one is worse? I don't know, which is why I didn't imply one was worse than the others.

    If you want to volunteer and explain which is worse and why, please be my guest.
    but you made your post opposed to subjecting children to second hand smoke and then compared that to the different effects of auto exhaust fumes
    unless you were making a comparison to present that the exhaust fumes posed a lesser risk there would have been no point to your introducing such a comparison
    which is what caused your post to be found so foolish
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •