View Poll Results: Your Opinion:

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • One federal seat belt law for everyone in the vehicle

    17 21.25%
  • One federal seat belt law, but just for children

    1 1.25%
  • Leave it up to the states to decide seat belt laws

    25 31.25%
  • There should be no seat belt laws for adults

    30 37.50%
  • Something else

    7 8.75%
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 273

Thread: Seat Belt Laws

  1. #81
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Apartments are the place they are living for those people. The same exact argument you are making could be made for homes in general as other people could be living in the home. My argument stands.
    Not totally. You are affecting someone else's health by smoking.

    Now, I don't agree with smoking bans outside. The chances of a person actually being forced to be exposed to second hand smoke from a smoker smoking outside is small. Not so for being inside and the same air basically being circulated throughout the building, even if the building is a pretty good size apartment building.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #82
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    But being outside does not mean the government can justly attach GPS devices to me to monitor my movements at all times.
    Okay.

    Did you miss the whole "warrantless search" debate and how Bush used it and how Obama expanded it?
    No, but I agree that's wrong.

    Did you not just see what Obama signed into law? America is defined as a battlefield now. All the government has to do is label us as terrorist or enemy or any other definition they have which enacts their laws and we CAN be held indefinitely without trial.
    Actually, no, they seem to have fixed that law as far as I can tell. See the other threads on this subject.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  3. #83
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Of course it was. It being an insult doesn't mean it references mentally handicapped.
    Of course it does.

    The insult wouldn't exist if it hadn't been first used to refer to the mentally retarded. That's where the insult came from.

    Regardless, it doesn't matter. I am not bound to your thought control.
    Never said you were. I simply asked you not to use it.

    If everyone paid their own way without tax payer subsidy, I would have no problem with that. I do have problems with paying for other people, and then being denied access to services I already pay for because some jerk thinks his high horse on his soap box is so cool that he should be able to take away my money and give me no services merely for the choices I have made which have not infringed upon the rights of others. As soon as I'm not paying for your kids, subsidizing your mortgage, helping to educate your kids, paying for park services and roads that families use well more often than me, etc. perhaps I'll entertain your argument.
    But educating other people's kids benefits you too. Park services are open to your use as often as anyone else.

    As for the other things, feel free to make a law banning those. On the other hand, the government already make plenty of laws requiring you to, for instance, keep your property in a working, safe state too in order to protect others and reduce demand on government services - do you oppose those too?
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  4. #84
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Actually, no, they seem to have fixed that law as far as I can tell. See the other threads on this subject.
    Yeah...they "fixed it". Sure they did. Abuse of power never happens.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #85
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah...they "fixed it". Sure they did. Abuse of power never happens.
    Of course abuse of power happens, but by that logic, we'd never give the government any power at all or pass any laws, since they could be abused.

    It was "fixed" to not apply to U.S. citizens or on U.S. soil. I'm not saying it's a good law otherwise.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  6. #86
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    But educating other people's kids benefits you too. Park services are open to your use as often as anyone else.
    Then University should be free for all, yes?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    As for the other things, feel free to make a law banning those. On the other hand, the government already make plenty of laws requiring you to, for instance, keep your property in a working, safe state too in order to protect others and reduce demand on government services - do you oppose those too?
    When does the government keep "property in working, safe state", have you seen Detroit? That's mostly dilapidated by this point.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #87
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But you are putting other people in the car in danger as well by not wearing a seat belt, especially in the back seat. If an accident occurs and you do not have a seat belt on, you now become an unsecured projectile within that car. Your body, especially your skull, can now hit others in the car, causing serious injuries, including brain damage.
    Well, you could just make just about anything illegal with that logic.


  8. #88
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Well, you could just make just about anything illegal with that logic.
    This is where a cost/benefit analysis comes in handy.

  9. #89
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Then University should be free for all, yes?
    That doesn't follow.

    There are community colleges open to all though.

    When does the government keep "property in working, safe state", have you seen Detroit? That's mostly dilapidated by this point.
    Um, okay, everywhere except Detroit. Doesn't change my point that the government has all kinds of laws that require you not to do stupid things because you'd be wasting taxpayer's money if you did.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  10. #90
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Well, you could just make just about anything illegal with that logic.
    As already pointed out, you simply weigh the costs. The cost of requiring someone to put a strap of fabric around their waist for a while is very very small, considering the benefit.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •