View Poll Results: Your Opinion:

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • One federal seat belt law for everyone in the vehicle

    17 21.25%
  • One federal seat belt law, but just for children

    1 1.25%
  • Leave it up to the states to decide seat belt laws

    25 31.25%
  • There should be no seat belt laws for adults

    30 37.50%
  • Something else

    7 8.75%
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 273

Thread: Seat Belt Laws

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Strawing up a comparison of drugs to seatbelts is ridiculous. You really need to hone your arguments, Henrin.
    How in the hell did I straw it up and it wasn't my comparison. Read the damn thread for once. This is the second stupid mistake you made here.

    And, by your own definition (which I do not necessary accept), if the responsibility of government is the legal defense of our rights and liberties, my right to peaceful enjoyment trumps candy up your nose.
    What?

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Pretty well. Last time I checked, the govt. required us to wear seat belts, but doesn't require us to stay locked up in our homes.
    But in certain states its illegal to smoke in your home, they spy on you in the streets, listen to your phone calls, can jail you without trial...should I go on?

  3. #63
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    You were using the mentally retarded as the insult though. You insult them when you say that.
    No, you just imagine that so as to play the "Holier than thou" card. STFU, I don't give a crap. Retarded means slowed. In relation to your argument, it means dimwitted. We use the term "retarded potential" in physics....does that make fun of the mentally handicapped as well?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Yes, I can. I definitely can. You are not entitled to use my tax funds to subsidize your stupidity. You want to use the roads I help pay for and the many government services provided to those disabled or killed by car accidents, you must conform to laws that keep us safe, including your own safety. Deal with it.
    You're not entitled to my tax funds to raise your family, yet we do it. You have no just reason to take away services I've paid for because you do not like how I exercise freedom. That level of fascism is detrimental to this very Republic.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #64
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    So I can't choose to put myself at greater risk because that might cost taxpayers more money, but I also don't have a choice to pay taxes that might help pay for healthcare?
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  5. #65
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    But in certain states its illegal to smoke in your home,
    Where?

    they spy on you in the streets,
    If you're in the street, it's not spying, by definition. Anyone can look at you in the street.

    listen to your phone calls,
    Not without a warrant.

    can jail you without trial..
    No they can't.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  6. #66
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Retarded means slowed.
    You meant it as an insult though. You don't mean that my argument is slowed. You mean it compares to someone who is mentally retarded.

    In relation to your argument, it means dimwitted. We use the term "retarded potential" in physics....does that make fun of the mentally handicapped as well?
    No, but you're not using it that way.

    Retarded is an insult because it compares you to the mentally retarded. It's not just a random word.

    You're not entitled to my tax funds to raise your family, yet we do it. You have no just reason to take away services I've paid for because you do not like how I exercise freedom. That level of fascism is detrimental to this very Republic.
    Oh, STFU with your holier-than-thou attitude. You want freedom? You're free to pay your own way when your skull is crushed because you're too stupid to simply put on a seatbelt. You want that "freedom" to not wear a stupid belt around your waist that bad, have at it.
    Last edited by misterman; 01-02-12 at 04:37 PM.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  7. #67
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    If you're in the street, it's not spying, by definition. Anyone can look at you in the street.
    But being outside does not mean the government can justly attach GPS devices to me to monitor my movements at all times.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Not without a warrant.
    Did you miss the whole "warrantless search" debate and how Bush used it and how Obama expanded it?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No they can't.
    Did you not just see what Obama signed into law? America is defined as a battlefield now. All the government has to do is label us as terrorist or enemy or any other definition they have which enacts their laws and we CAN be held indefinitely without trial.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #68
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    You meant it as an insult though.
    Of course it was. It being an insult doesn't mean it references mentally handicapped. It means someone who should have the full function of their brain made and incredibly idiotic, slow, and dimwitted argument. It certainly wasn't a compliment.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No, but you're not using it that way.

    Retarded is an insult because it compares you to the mentally retarded. It's not just a random word.
    Retarded potentials are slow potentials. Your argument was as well.

    Regardless, it doesn't matter. I am not bound to your thought control.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Oh, STFU with your holier-than-thou attitude. You want freedom? You're free to pay your own way when your skull is crushed because you're too stupid to simply put on a seatbelt. You want that "freedom" to not wear a stupid belt around your waist that bad, have at it.
    If everyone paid their own way without tax payer subsidy, I would have no problem with that. I do have problems with paying for other people, and then being denied access to services I already pay for because some jerk thinks his high horse on his soap box is so cool that he should be able to take away my money and give me no services merely for the choices I have made which have not infringed upon the rights of others. As soon as I'm not paying for your kids, subsidizing your mortgage, helping to educate your kids, paying for park services and roads that families use well more often than me, etc. perhaps I'll entertain your argument.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #69
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    I chose that there should be no seat belt laws for adults. If you want to put yourself in danger, fine.
    But you are putting other people in the car in danger as well by not wearing a seat belt, especially in the back seat. If an accident occurs and you do not have a seat belt on, you now become an unsecured projectile within that car. Your body, especially your skull, can now hit others in the car, causing serious injuries, including brain damage.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Where?
    Belmont California. Though you have to complain about a smoker for them to show up about it.

    If you're in the street, it's not spying, by definition. Anyone can look at you in the street.
    The camera is watching your every move. By definition that is spying.

    Not without a warrant.
    False. Even with the warrant it is spying so it changes nothing.

    No they can't.
    They just did it. How can they not?

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •