View Poll Results: Your Opinion:

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • One federal seat belt law for everyone in the vehicle

    17 21.25%
  • One federal seat belt law, but just for children

    1 1.25%
  • Leave it up to the states to decide seat belt laws

    25 31.25%
  • There should be no seat belt laws for adults

    30 37.50%
  • Something else

    7 8.75%
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 273

Thread: Seat Belt Laws

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Um, I just explained how.
    No you didn't. Why would they not lock you up to keep you safe? Because you personally reject it? Why would they care? You gave them permission to use preventive techniques so why not throw you all in a cell to keep you safe? Seems like the best approach to me.

  2. #52
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Get over yourself. Don't make retarded arguments if you don't want your arguments called retarded.
    You are insulting real people when you use that term. Don't be an asshole. Just debate.

    I pay all sorts of **** that other people use already. What's the point? We're not buyer pays on some things, else we wouldn't be taxed for certain things and everyone would buy access when they needed access. Tax dollars support a lot of "idiocy" and people taking advantage of the system, and what have you. Doesn't distract from what I said. The government is not here to protect me from me. I can make choices, and if there are negative consequences to those choices than so be it. But just because you want to use government force here doesn't mean that you can strip taxpayers of their ability to engage in tax funded programs. As I said, that's retarded.
    You aren't entitled to use my tax money to subsidize being stupid. That's why I support a waiver that people like you could sign to waive all your rights to an taxpayer-supported care, from medical to welfare, in the event that you are injured or killed without wearing a seatbelt. And that includes support for your family if you die.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  3. #53
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No you didn't. Why would they not lock you up to keep you safe? Because you personally reject it? Why would they care? You gave them permission to use preventive techniques so why not throw you all in a cell to keep you safe? Seems like the best approach to me.
    Because the cost to you exceeds the benefits. I explained that clearly. I was talking about the cost to citizens, not to the government. The cost of locking you up isn't worth the benefit to you. The cost imposed on you by making you wear a belt around your waist is small though. Pretty clear.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  4. #54
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So they committed crimes? So why not just deal with those crimes?

    No, government is the collective organization of the legal defense of our rights and liberties. How does your prevention techniques maintain liberty?
    Strawing up a comparison of drugs to seatbelts is ridiculous. You really need to hone your arguments, Henrin. And, by your own definition (which I do not necessary accept), if the responsibility of government is the legal defense of our rights and liberties, my right to peaceful enjoyment trumps candy up your nose.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #55
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    You are insulting real people when you use that term. Don't be an asshole. Just debate.
    No, I was insulting your argument when I used that term. Please learn to comprehend English.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    You aren't entitled to use my tax money to subsidize being stupid. That's why I support a waiver that people like you could sign to waive all your rights to an taxpayer-supported care, from medical to welfare, in the event that you are injured or killed without wearing a seatbelt. And that includes support for your family if you die.
    No. I pay so much money to keep other people's kids educated, to fund emergency agencies I don't use, some that I don't even want, to fund undeclared wars against foreign States. I subsidize married people's mortgages and a plethora of other money I pay into which goes towards government programs and societal needs. I even pay for the very agencies which would have to hose me off the road should I wreck. Done and paid. Just because you don't like the choice doesn't mean that you can try to enact government force against it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #56
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    You are insulting real people when you use that term. Don't be an asshole. Just debate.

    You aren't entitled to use my tax money to subsidize being stupid. That's why I support a waiver that people like you could sign to waive all your rights to an taxpayer-supported care, from medical to welfare, in the event that you are injured or killed without wearing a seatbelt. And that includes support for your family if you die.
    Just plain silly. #1, a waiver would be ridiculously impossible to track; #2, nobody's going to verify if someone has signed your idiotic waiver before calling an ambulance; #3, addressing your last sentence, SURPRISE!! You can't waive someone else's rights.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Because the cost to you exceeds the benefits. I explained that clearly. I was talking about the cost to citizens, not to the government. The cost of locking you up isn't worth the benefit to you. The cost imposed on you by making you wear a belt around your waist is small though. Pretty clear.
    So how has this limiter of yours worked out so far? Just admit the premise is faulty. The truth is you can't stop them from doing exactly what I said and no amount of arguing over benefit to cost balances are going to make it so you can. They don't care about your balance that you personally set up. Why in the hell would they?

  8. #58
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,450
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Not comparable. If you choose to not wear your seat belt, you aren't in danger of hurting anyone but yourself. If you do meth or heroine, it's very likely that you could hurt someone else.
    Simply untrue.

    The cost of treating belted drivers as opposed to non-belted ones is quite less expensive. So if you choose to drive without wearing a seatbelt, you will be responsible for driving up the cost for medical services. That in turn would affect insurance rates for everyone, no?

    Also, people who don't belt up often find themselves flying out of the windshield. I'd say the odds are pretty good that this alone can cause another accident.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  9. #59
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No, I was insulting your argument when I used that term. Please learn to comprehend English.
    You were using the mentally retarded as the insult though. You insult them when you say that.

    No. I pay so much money to keep other people's kids educated, to fund emergency agencies I don't use, some that I don't even want, to fund undeclared wars against foreign States. I subsidize married people's mortgages and a plethora of other money I pay into which goes towards government programs and societal needs. I even pay for the very agencies which would have to hose me off the road should I wreck. Done and paid. Just because you don't like the choice doesn't mean that you can try to enact government force against it.
    Yes, I can. I definitely can. You are not entitled to use my tax funds to subsidize your stupidity. You want to use the roads I help pay for and the many government services provided to those disabled or killed by car accidents, you must conform to laws that keep us safe, including your own safety. Deal with it.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  10. #60
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So how has this limiter of yours worked out so far?
    Pretty well. Last time I checked, the govt. required us to wear seat belts, but doesn't require us to stay locked up in our homes.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •