View Poll Results: Your Opinion:

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • One federal seat belt law for everyone in the vehicle

    17 21.25%
  • One federal seat belt law, but just for children

    1 1.25%
  • Leave it up to the states to decide seat belt laws

    25 31.25%
  • There should be no seat belt laws for adults

    30 37.50%
  • Something else

    7 8.75%
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 273

Thread: Seat Belt Laws

  1. #41
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Ah...you put the wrong name on the quote there.
    Yeah Maggie, that was from me. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  2. #42
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Ah...you put the wrong name on the quote there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Yeah Maggie, that was from me. :-)
    (Can't figure out how I did that!)
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    No, you didn't explicitly say that, but your insistence on "freedom to do whatever the hell you want, government coercion is inherently immoral" position negatively impacts the well-being of others, whether you like it or not.
    So what if it does? Life is dangerous.

    Negative freedom as an end in and of itself has absolutely no value, in my opinion. That is why seat belt laws and helmet laws are a good idea. Yes, they are coercive, yes they limit "freedom" in your sense of the word, but I'd rather save lives and not have idiots be a drag on OUR (that is, society's) healthcare system.
    So how do you limit the government when your position is to always keep us free from danger? Have any ideas or is it totally and utterly subjective and selective without any sort of logic at all. The truth is you don't, and you are smart enough know it.

    The truth is you forcing people to do what you want in the chance, and yes it is a chance, that something will happen because of it. You have any earthly idea how many things that covers? You do, I know you aren't stupid. Why don't you just admit that it really based on a bad and dangerous premise?

    And negative freedom is valuable or else the only solution logically is to keep us all locked up to keep us safe.
    Last edited by Henrin; 01-02-12 at 03:06 PM.

  4. #44
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No seatbelt, or helmet laws.

    Two reasons: 1) It's not the government's responsibility to make me take care of myself and 2) It stifles Darwinism.
    On 2 - I know you might be joking, but should little children die because their parents are stupid?
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  5. #45
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    And negative freedom is valuable or else the only solution logically is to keep us all locked up to keep us safe.
    Nope. You weigh the costs and benefits. Keeping people locked up is obviously too high a cost. But making you wear a seatbelt imposes very little burden. It's a strap on your waist. It costs you nothing in monetary terms, and at most causes you slight irritation. The benefits greatly outweigh the cost.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Nope. You weigh the costs and benefits. Keeping people locked up is obviously too high a cost. But making you wear a seatbelt imposes very little burden. It's a strap on your waist. It costs you nothing in monetary terms, and at most causes you slight irritation. The benefits greatly outweigh the cost.
    Then you are failing to keep people safe voiding your argument for seatbelts on a logical standing. If you tell the government to keep you safe they have no reason logical to stop anywhere to reach that goal. Why is your stopping point going to be where they would place it? It wouldn't, as they would be failing at the request.
    Last edited by Henrin; 01-02-12 at 03:46 PM.

  7. #47
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    I want to know when are they going to enforce seat belts on motorcycles?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  8. #48
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Please don't use demeaning terms like that.
    Get over yourself. Don't make retarded arguments if you don't want your arguments called retarded.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    You're payment of taxes doesn't entitle you to use taxpayer services recklessly. That's like saying you can just quit your job and go on welfare simply because you pay the taxes that go toward welfare.

    If you are stupid, and don't wear a seatbelt and are disabled and need government support, you're using MORE than your share of taxes - in other words, you're consuming some of MY taxes too. I shouldn't have to support you or your family just because you're a ****ing idiot who can't simply strap in a belt. I don't care if you're too stupid to live, but you don't get to use my tax dollars to support your idiocy.
    I pay all sorts of **** that other people use already. What's the point? We're not buyer pays on some things, else we wouldn't be taxed for certain things and everyone would buy access when they needed access. Tax dollars support a lot of "idiocy" and people taking advantage of the system, and what have you. Doesn't distract from what I said. The government is not here to protect me from me. I can make choices, and if there are negative consequences to those choices than so be it. But just because you want to use government force here doesn't mean that you can strip taxpayers of their ability to engage in tax funded programs. As I said, that's retarded.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #49
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    why should I, as a taxpayer, enable your poor decisions and be expected to flip the bill for them?
    because we as tax payers pay for a lot of dumb ****, and particularly collectively we pay for a lot of our freedoms. Being free means that certain people are going to make reckless decisions; but we don't leave them on the street to die. We pay to take care of it, it's one consequence of freedom. Free allows dumb people to be dumb.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #50
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Then you are failing to keep people safe voiding your argument for seatbelts on a logical standing. If you tell the government to keep you safe they have no reason logical to stop anywhere to reach that goal. Why is your stopping point going to be where they would place it? It wouldn't, as they would be failing at the request.
    Um, I just explained how.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •