View Poll Results: Your Opinion:

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • One federal seat belt law for everyone in the vehicle

    17 21.25%
  • One federal seat belt law, but just for children

    1 1.25%
  • Leave it up to the states to decide seat belt laws

    25 31.25%
  • There should be no seat belt laws for adults

    30 37.50%
  • Something else

    7 8.75%
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 273

Thread: Seat Belt Laws

  1. #251
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    There should be a waiver you can sign that exempts you from seat belt laws that says you waive your right any taxpayer assistance whatsoever for you or your family if you are killed or disabled in a crash, starting with the ambulance or hearse.
    That seems like a ridiculous thing to do because you do not want to wear a seat belt. You would be better off just paying the tickets every time you get caught!
    Last edited by Kushinator; 01-12-12 at 12:39 AM.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #252
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Many have decided that it is the government's business.
    Many also think that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed or used to think that slavery and segregation was a good thing. Just because the majority may think it is a good thing doesn't mean that it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Do have any actual proof that children playing is a bigger hazard to life than people not wearing their seatbelts? Even just the harm to others for some not wearing their seatbelt? Heck, since I know you can't find the numbers, how bout just the ejected person causing other people harm?
    Talk to all the kids that can no longer play freeze tag or tag or red rover or any other numerous recess games kids use to play...

    The hidden dangers of playing freeze tag

    Just because there are no statistics or that there are statistics doesn't mean politicians don't do stupid crap.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #253
    User Bettina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Last Seen
    08-01-12 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    56

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGreenwell View Post
    So you're saying that because there are more kids that run out in the street and cause car accidents than ejected passengers, means that we shouldnt have seat belt laws? That seems counter-productive. Having a single federal law would much more sense, making seat belts one of the most important aspects of everyday driving. If you decide you dont want to wear a seatbelt out of laziness, and you get in an accident and kill everyone else in the car with your flailing arms, that's completely your own fault. Which could have been avoided with a 3 second task.
    Sensible and to the point. However there are posters in every forum who just don't believe in sensibility especially when it smacks of common sense so they'll continue to argue in the name of "liberty" thinking that it somehow adds credibility to their argument.

    Shaking my head....

    Bettina
    When the gift is the music, it comes from a heart that sings.

  4. #254
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettina View Post
    Sensible and to the point. However there are posters in every forum who just don't believe in sensibility especially when it smacks of common sense so they'll continue to argue in the name of "liberty" thinking that it somehow adds credibility to their argument.

    Shaking my head....

    Bettina
    What you don't seem to understand is that we are not argueing against seat belt usage. We are argueing against the government forcing people to use seat belts.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #255
    User Bettina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Last Seen
    08-01-12 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    56

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    What you don't seem to understand is that we are not argueing against seat belt usage. We are argueing against the government forcing people to use seat belts.
    Believe me I understand. However, you need to go back and look at the thread where some argued against wearing seatbelts period. So, if there's no law to force these people to wear them then the police can't do a thing except watch these people argue about their liberty.

    With that said, if we make it mandatory but leave it up to the the states, as was stated in this thread, there may be different rules in each state where you're legal in one state but not in another.

    And with that said, it makes much more sense to have one federal policy like MaddieGreenwell so beautifully put it. I know your signature says you have an answer for everything but they have to be plausible ones.

    Bee
    When the gift is the music, it comes from a heart that sings.

  6. #256
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettina View Post
    Believe me I understand. However, you need to go back and look at the thread where some argued against wearing seatbelts period. So, if there's no law to force these people to wear them then the police can't do a thing except watch these people argue about their liberty.

    With that said, if we make it mandatory but leave it up to the the states, as was stated in this thread, there may be different rules in each state where you're legal in one state but not in another.

    And with that said, it makes much more sense to have one federal policy like MaddieGreenwell so beautifully put it. I know your signature says you have an answer for everything but they have to be plausible ones.

    Bee
    I am not for giving the federal government power over regulating the rules of the roadways maintained by the states.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #257
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,656

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    In a perfect world, we would not need laws protecting people from themselves. They would have enough sense to do that without a mandate.

    But it ain't a perfect world.

    Do I care is some Loony Bird refuses to wear a seat belt and the fire department has to hose him off the pavement? Not really. I consider that to be Darwinism at it's finest. Remove them from the gene pool. LOL!

    If there were no laws mandating seat belts the Loony Birds would make my insurance rates go up. I should not have to pay extra for their stupidity.
    Last edited by Captain America; 01-12-12 at 10:11 PM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #258
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,656

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I am not for giving the federal government power over regulating the rules of the roadways maintained by the states.
    Would you, in turn, deny federal contributions to build and maintain said roadways?

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #259
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Would you, in turn, deny federal contributions to build and maintain said roadways?
    Yep. But reduce taxes to the federal government and increase them to the states.

    The government deciding which states to distribute taxes to for something that the states are supposed to be responsible for maintaining is yet another example of how our federal government uses high taxes to maintain power over areas that it doesn't belong and have the authority.

    All under the "commerce clause"
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #260
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,656

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Yep. But reduce taxes to the federal government and increase them to the states.

    The government deciding which states to distribute taxes to for something that the states are supposed to be responsible for maintaining is yet another example of how our federal government uses high taxes to maintain power over areas that it doesn't belong and have the authority.

    All under the "commerce clause"
    Yup. That makes pretty good sense.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •