View Poll Results: Your Opinion:

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • One federal seat belt law for everyone in the vehicle

    17 21.25%
  • One federal seat belt law, but just for children

    1 1.25%
  • Leave it up to the states to decide seat belt laws

    25 31.25%
  • There should be no seat belt laws for adults

    30 37.50%
  • Something else

    7 8.75%
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 273

Thread: Seat Belt Laws

  1. #241
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    That makes perfect sense until reaching the reality that if you are in an accident the emergency room - meaning myself and other taxpayers - have to pay for your hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical treatment because you're too much a lazy ass to buckle a seatbelt. Not wearing a seatbelt is just stupid as accidents will happen and even KingKong isn't strong enough to stop himself flying thru the windshield when sitting in the suicide seat (front passenger side.) It'd be different if law provided that people in accidents not wearing seatbelts are required by paramedics to just be shoved the person off the road and left there to die and then the litter of your body removed by vultures, rats and ants.

    Why should I and other taxpayers pay for your being a lazy ass?

    There are some doctors that refuse to treat motorcycle accident victims other than what is immediately necessary to preserve life if the rider does not have medical insurance covering it 100% specifically because the known dangers of motorcycles.
    So the idea here is that wearing a seat belt should be manditory because not wearing a seat belt is more likely to lead to more expensive medical treatment (paid for by taxpayers). Is that correct?

    If so, what would you say to people being required to make a prepayment for possible services rendered in the worst case scenario, i.e. paying ahead of time for their, possible, medical bills?

    Additionally, using your logic, we should ban certain unhealthy foods, or place limits on how much can be consumed in a certain time period ... you know, because you risk medical problems such as heart attacks, diabetes etc., which would be expensive for taxpayers under current circumstances. Or perhaps people could pay ahead of time for those possible scenarios too?

    I just want to be sure I am understanding the reasoning. I am wondering what solution would provide the most freedom for the individual without making it costly for taxpayers.

  2. #242
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Again, not the government's business.

    Lets ban children playing with any type of ball nearby a street.... this can cause a traffic hazard and does 500 times more often than an ejected non-seat belt wearing passenger of a crashed vehicle ever does.
    Many have decided that it is the government's business.

    Do have any actual proof that children playing is a bigger hazard to life than people not wearing their seatbelts? Even just the harm to others for some not wearing their seatbelt? Heck, since I know you can't find the numbers, how bout just the ejected person causing other people harm?

    I can't even find any statistics on how often children or their balls in a road cause accidents, especially fatal or even harmful ones. Plenty for not wearing a seat belt.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #243
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    That makes perfect sense until reaching the reality that if you are in an accident the emergency room - meaning myself and other taxpayers - have to pay for your hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical treatment because you're too much a lazy ass to buckle a seatbelt.
    So... You know that this guy doesn't have the means to pay for his own medical treatment how exactly? I need you to post evidence that he does not have medical coverage and does not have the money to pay for medical treatment. We don't have forced national healthcare yet. God help us when we do...

    Beside that fact.... We should not let the government get the ability to reduce freedoms based upon the fact that they have forced us to pay them to receive medical care. Once you open up that box of worms, you can't put them back. And we will be stuck with the government telling us what we can and cannot do because "they pay for our medical coverage".


    Not wearing a seatbelt is just stupid as accidents will happen and even KingKong isn't strong enough to stop himself flying thru the windshield when sitting in the suicide seat (front passenger side.)
    Yes. But I fear a government that has the authority to outlaw whatever it and the "majority" deem as "stupid".

    Why should I and other taxpayers pay for your being a lazy ass?
    Again with the assumptions.
    Why should the government be given the authority to limit freedoms because they imposed a cost upon themselves by creating national healthcare?
    Why should you assume this individual doesn't have the means to provide for his own medical care?


    There are some doctors that refuse to treat motorcycle accident victims other than what is immediately necessary to preserve life if the rider does not have medical insurance covering it 100% specifically because the known dangers of motorcycles.[/QUOTE]
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #244
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Many have decided that it is the government's business.
    Many are wrong.


    Do have any actual proof that children playing is a bigger hazard to life than people not wearing their seatbelts? Even just the harm to others for some not wearing their seatbelt? Heck, since I know you can't find the numbers, how bout just the ejected person causing other people harm?
    Children's playthings roll out into the road at a far greater rate than passengers are ejected.

    I can't even find any statistics on how often children or their balls in a road cause accidents, especially fatal or even harmful ones. Plenty for not wearing a seat belt.
    Exactly. Nobody gathers statistics for this very scenario...... you don't think we keep statistics of EVERYthing do you? There are statistics on seatbelts so the government can attempt to show how they need more power over your lives.

    Statistics can't explain everything, never will, ever, be able to.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #245
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    One federal law would be better, less confusing, more fair. The states have shown that they cannot be trusted to do what is best.
    And it makes sense to have one law rather than 50 different ones...
    I also disagree with the "idiot" thing.... I do NOT always "buckle up"....and I doubt if I am the only one...
    Except that there is no basis in the Constitution for a federal law in the matter. State matter. Leave it there...

    And yes, if you don't buckle up, it is a pretty idiotic thing to do...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  6. #246
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Many are wrong.


    Children's playthings roll out into the road at a far greater rate than passengers are ejected.

    Exactly. Nobody gathers statistics for this very scenario...... you don't think we keep statistics of EVERYthing do you? There are statistics on seatbelts so the government can attempt to show how they need more power over your lives.

    Statistics can't explain everything, never will, ever, be able to.
    You know these laws are typically state laws, you can't stop it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #247
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,490

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Personally, I think that the seat belt issue is should be left in the hands of individual states. I think that there's overwhelming evidence as to why people wear them. But, more than that...insurance companies want you to wear them for all the obvious reasons. Consequently there's enough social and institutional pressure to get states to pass seat belt laws.

    I'm not sure why, but some people don't believe that they can cause someone elses death or undue property damage by not having on a seat belt. Yep, even if he or she doesn't respect his or her own life or property, not wearing a seat belt is dangerous to others. You come out okay in your little out of control crash...your car smashed, but that's okay...insurance, right? But what about other people's lives? Their death or injuries? Their property.

    If you don't wear a seat belt, you are subject to be slung around in your car. What's the big deal? You lose all control of steering, braking, and acceleration capabilities. In other words, you might be in the passenger side of the car...watching yourself headed into a collision with another car, building, or person. Had you had a belt on...very possible you could have maintained enough control to avoid such a collision.

    Gezzzz, it's not rocket science.

  8. #248
    User MaddieGreenwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    04-08-12 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Many are wrong.


    Children's playthings roll out into the road at a far greater rate than passengers are ejected.

    Exactly. Nobody gathers statistics for this very scenario...... you don't think we keep statistics of EVERYthing do you? There are statistics on seatbelts so the government can attempt to show how they need more power over your lives.

    Statistics can't explain everything, never will, ever, be able to.
    So you're saying that because there are more kids that run out in the street and cause car accidents than ejected passengers, means that we shouldnt have seat belt laws? That seems counter-productive. Having a single federal law would much more sense, making seat belts one of the most important aspects of everyday driving. If you decide you dont want to wear a seatbelt out of laziness, and you get in an accident and kill everyone else in the car with your flailing arms, that's completely your own fault. Which could have been avoided with a 3 second task.

  9. #249
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGreenwell View Post
    So you're saying that because there are more kids that run out in the street and cause car accidents than ejected passengers, means that we shouldnt have seat belt laws? That seems counter-productive. Having a single federal law would much more sense, making seat belts one of the most important aspects of everyday driving. If you decide you dont want to wear a seatbelt out of laziness, and you get in an accident and kill everyone else in the car with your flailing arms, that's completely your own fault. Which could have been avoided with a 3 second task.
    What jurisdiction does the federal government have over the roadways?

    Are you going to propose federal highway troopers to go around enforcing it too?

    Local law enforcement, except as part of a federal task force or under a specific and limited program, do not have authority to enforce federal law.

    The federal government has made it clear they don't want states even trying to mimic federal law (Arizona Immigration Law anyone?)
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #250
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    That makes perfect sense until reaching the reality that if you are in an accident the emergency room - meaning myself and other taxpayers - have to pay for your hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical treatment because you're too much a lazy ass to buckle a seatbelt. Not wearing a seatbelt is just stupid as accidents will happen and even KingKong isn't strong enough to stop himself flying thru the windshield when sitting in the suicide seat (front passenger side.) It'd be different if law provided that people in accidents not wearing seatbelts are required by paramedics to just be shoved the person off the road and left there to die and then the litter of your body removed by vultures, rats and ants.

    Why should I and other taxpayers pay for your being a lazy ass?

    There are some doctors that refuse to treat motorcycle accident victims other than what is immediately necessary to preserve life if the rider does not have medical insurance covering it 100% specifically because the known dangers of motorcycles.
    FYI,, I wear a seat belt every time I just don't think the government has the right to force me to wear something for safety, when they allow something as unsafe as motorcycles. It's not logical nor within their scope to control. They get their consent to govern from the taxpaying citizens, me. So it should be my choice not some bureaucratic ding dong that can't figure out which modes of transportation are really dangerous. How about ATV's, speed boats, snow ski's, water ski's, hang gliding, bungee jumping and the list goes on and on. Risk is an inherent factor in life that can't be buckled away or uber controlled. Besides I have insurance for my health bills that I pay premiums on. Don't worry about them they make plenty of profit even after they get bailed out.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •