View Poll Results: Your Opinion:

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • One federal seat belt law for everyone in the vehicle

    17 21.25%
  • One federal seat belt law, but just for children

    1 1.25%
  • Leave it up to the states to decide seat belt laws

    25 31.25%
  • There should be no seat belt laws for adults

    30 37.50%
  • Something else

    7 8.75%
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 273

Thread: Seat Belt Laws

  1. #211
    User Bettina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Last Seen
    08-01-12 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    56

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Not sure if you meant that sarcastically or not, but am taking it as such as that seems to the be battle cry of anyone that tries to push an agenda that even remotely might affect a child.
    I thought you would provide something better or nothing at all instead of this. Like what part of the scenario I gave you do you believe couldn't happen. But hey, have a good day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    If they are old enough to call your name they are old enough to take off their seat belts and open the car door...
    This is a dangerous and inaccurate assumption because many children who can say simple words may still lack the strength to push the release mechanisms or may be too dazed from the accident itself to think straight.

    Bee
    When the gift is the music, it comes from a heart that sings.

  2. #212
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I didn't know there were so many stupid people here at DP.

    How could anybody be against seat belt laws. Maybe when the issue was a new idea but now that there are air bags in almost every car, if you don't have a seat belt to go with the air bag you will likely be severly hurt by the exploding bag.

    I used to buy crashed cars and I saw the evidence of people not wearing seat belts. I can't be in any car without a seat belt on anymore.

    What are the arguments against them other than some stupid idea of liberty being crushed.
    There's a difference between being against wearing seat belts and being against mandatory seat belt laws.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  3. #213
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I see cars with kids hanging out the windows, out the sun roofs, babies on peoples laps, including the driver, and these cars have air bags, in the back of open pick up trucks and sometimes packed in so tight, the car is dragging on the ground. We do have seat belt laws but the cops don't enforce anything.
    Is the population of Mexico threatening to collapse? Or is the non-enforcement of these laws a relative non-factor?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #214
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,478

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Nascar drivers also wear flame retardent suits, should we require all drivers, passengers, and kids to wear them also?
    You forgot the helmets.


    Of course we are not asking occupants in vehicles to wear helmets and flame retardent suits.

    A seat belt is a simple task that has been proven to save lives and reduces injuries. It should be a law just as is making texting illegal while driving.

    Also, I doubt the Nascar rider has his family wear flame retardent suits when they go out to a restaurant in the family sedan but I bet they all wear seatbelts.

  5. #215
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    A few yrs ago driving 15MPH, a cop stopped me b/c my friend was not wearing a seatbelt and gave her a ticket. Of course this was in upstate NY, so I guess it should be expected.
    So?
    .......
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #216
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    You forgot the helmets.


    Of course we are not asking occupants in vehicles to wear helmets and flame retardent suits.

    A seat belt is a simple task that has been proven to save lives and reduces injuries. It should be a law just as is making texting illegal while driving.

    Also, I doubt the Nascar rider has his family wear flame retardent suits when they go out to a restaurant in the family sedan but I bet they all wear seatbelts.
    I understand texting completely.
    Texting affects the safety of other drivers on the roadway.

    Wearing your seatbelt or not wearing your seat belt does not.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #217
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettina View Post
    I thought you would provide something better or nothing at all instead of this. Like what part of the scenario I gave you do you believe couldn't happen. But hey, have a good day.
    All of it could happen. Just tired of hearing the "think of the children" spiel. I will tell you this though. Considering I could die because of the seatbelt also your point is moot.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Should there be one federal seat belt law declaring that every person in the vehicle should be wearing one whenever the vehicle is moving? Should I remain up to the states? Should some people be exempt from seat belt laws? Should there be seat belt laws at all for adults?

    Discuss.
    ❖ I strongly think so. The more people who have their seat belts buckled, the more people that survive car crashes.

    ❖ I'm not sure if it should remain up to the states. To me it seems like a no-brainer, and should therefore be applied nation-wide.

    ❖ Exemption from wearing seat-belts... it really depends. I don't know/can't think of any certain people with any certain reasons. Perhaps post-surgery passengers... but I honestly don't know.

    ❖ Definitely. A 250-lb man can still fly through the windshield on impact.

  9. #219
    User Bettina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Last Seen
    08-01-12 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    56

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    All of it could happen. Just tired of hearing the "think of the children" spiel.
    Ok, sorry about that but I deal with children a lot so it was first on my mind.

    I will tell you this though. Considering I could die because of the seatbelt also your point is moot.
    Maybe, but my sole argument was based on your statement that only YOU would be affected by not wearing a seatbelt, not whether you were the sole occupant. The fact remains that YOU can indirectly cause injury or death to someone else in a multiple of situations by not wearing one.

    Look, I'm not going to press you anymore on this because I believe you to be rational in real life but I know and have worked with EMT's and police officers whose first thoughts when arriving on the scene of a severe auto accident is the hope that the occupants were wearing seatbelts. Unfortunately, a car full of teens are 50/50.

    The bottom line is that a driver has a responsibility to make sure that he/she and all their passengers are buckled in...and remember, the seatbelt and airbag work together to greatly increase the chances of survival. Without the belt, the airbag can kill you.

    Have a great day and be safe

    Bee
    When the gift is the music, it comes from a heart that sings.

  10. #220
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,041

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettina View Post
    This is a dangerous and inaccurate assumption because many children who can say simple words may still lack the strength to push the release mechanisms or may be too dazed from the accident itself to think straight.

    Bee
    I guess this is why Natural Selection is such a valuable tool...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •