View Poll Results: Your Opinion:

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • One federal seat belt law for everyone in the vehicle

    17 21.25%
  • One federal seat belt law, but just for children

    1 1.25%
  • Leave it up to the states to decide seat belt laws

    25 31.25%
  • There should be no seat belt laws for adults

    30 37.50%
  • Something else

    7 8.75%
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 273

Thread: Seat Belt Laws

  1. #101
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I still don't see how you can enforce seat belts in cars and allow motorcycles on the road. It's an oxymoron.
    Good point, I hadn't actually thought of that. Well there's an interesting argument if I've ever seen one.

  2. #102
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Stop trying to put everyone on the government dole and you won't have to worry about it.
    Do you think children whose stupid parents die in car crashes should starve instead?

    This is not about "the government dole." Take your rightwing anger somewhere else.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  3. #103
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Good point, I hadn't actually thought of that. Well there's an interesting argument if I've ever seen one.
    They wear helmets instead.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  4. #104
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Of course it follows, educating other people benefits me, yes? Should University be free for all. Not "open to all", most are open and people may apply. If funding the education of others is a benefit to me, then obviously that follows to higher education as well. Should it be free for all?
    Oh, I see. Yes, I think so. We waste huge amounts of talent and intelligence because people can't afford higher education.

    Well it's not just Detroit. Many of the large cities like Chicago, LA, St. Louis, etc all have dilapidated sectors which have unsafe buildings and property in them.
    Do you think that's a good thing?
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  5. #105
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    They wear helmets instead.
    Not that I disagree with your position, but to play a little devil's advocate, I believe grip's argument is that if we're going to be consistent, we should be banning motorcycles altogether.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Oh, I see. Yes, I think so. We waste huge amounts of talent and intelligence because people can't afford higher education.
    Having spent my life in academia, I don't quite agree. There are too many stupid people in University right now as is. And higher education is an investment in one's self. It shouldn't need to be totally supported by tax dollars.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Do you think that's a good thing?
    Not necessarily, but it was a counter to your claim that government does these things. It doesn't. May not be a terrible use of tax payer dollars to bulldoze under sections of our large cities which no longer function. Maybe not. But as it stands, government does not really take care of this. It's left to the individual property owners; and likely that is the proper place.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #107
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    They wear helmets instead.
    Only in commie states.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #108
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,892
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Should there be one federal seat belt law declaring that every person in the vehicle should be wearing one whenever the vehicle is moving? Should I remain up to the states? Should some people be exempt from seat belt laws? Should there be seat belt laws at all for adults?

    Discuss.
    People should be allowed to wear a seatbelt or not. Wearing a seatbelt can be just as dangerous as not wearing one. I'm not denying the fact that people are saved by seatbelts. But to deny the fact that seatbelts are the cause of deaths also is idiotic. I know of 3 people personally that were hurt or died due to seatbelts and one that if she had been wearing her seatbelt she would have died. I know of no one personally that was saved due to wearing one. But besides that fact I don't believe that the government has a right to dictate the wearing of seatbelts.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #109
    Educator partier9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A town in a country, on a planet
    Last Seen
    05-23-13 @ 11:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    972

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    But besides that fact I don't believe that the government has a right to dictate the wearing of seatbelts.
    So even though the government created the roads we drive on, they shouldn't be allowed to create the rules that we have to obey when we are on the road?
    If I had a billion dollars?

  10. #110
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Seat Belt Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Not that I disagree with your position, but to play a little devil's advocate, I believe grip's argument is that if we're going to be consistent, we should be banning motorcycles altogether.
    Back to that cost-benefit thingie.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •