View Poll Results: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    77 91.67%
  • No

    7 8.33%
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 510

Thread: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

  1. #231
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,336

    Re: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    That is a tricky subject. Full autos are inaccurate because of ride up and the rate of fire, they are usually undersized compared to a typical hunting rifle, and aren't really all that reliable. Where they become dangerous is the chance of a lucky shot, this goes up due to the rate of fire but is much less dangerous than a ranged shot placed on target. If some moron decides to open fire on his neighborhood with a SAW there are ordinances to deal with that locally, such as laws prohibiting discharge within corporate or city limits. If someone misses at a firing range "no harm, no foul" Whereas if someone misses with a mortar round or artillery it could ruin someone's property values signifigantly(yes I'm understating).
    Full automatic weapons are not much of a problem in the US. Going from memory, there are around 210,000 legal automatics in the US, about equally divided between LEO and population. From the inception of the law in the 30's there have been 4 deaths attributable to these firearms, 2 on each side. Not a major problem.

    Automatics are expensive to own, expensive to shoot, and are inaccurate to shoot if the need arises.

  2. #232
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Full automatic weapons are not much of a problem in the US. Going from memory, there are around 210,000 legal automatics in the US, about equally divided between LEO and population. From the inception of the law in the 30's there have been 4 deaths attributable to these firearms, 2 on each side. Not a major problem.

    Automatics are expensive to own, expensive to shoot, and are inaccurate to shoot if the need arises.
    Absolutely. I knew the stat, I just give a little more restraint on those for some reason.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #233
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Right, my bad. So I'll rephrase. Who should decide who is mentally competent to own and use a firearm for any reason? As it stands now (in Virginia), a background check is made which eliminates convicted felons, and previous mental patients are precluded, although I do not know how this is checked. I think you might run afoul of the patient-doctor privilege. I know of no test that predetermines with any degree of certainty the chances of someone committing a violent crime. If you are talking about after the fact, those measures are already in place.

    As I said, if and when you can show me a test that will determine future violent criminals without infringing on my rights, I would agree with your premise.
    Mental health professionals should decide and then legislators (and judges in specific cases) should use their decisions to form law. I don't think there's a test to predict the future either. However, there are tests that doctors use to determine the threat an individual poses to himself and society and they use those tests to reasonably predict future actions and to treat people according to their diagnoses.

    In addition to people with severe mental illnesses, there are also individuals with IQs at the level of children. Consequently, if mental health professionals determine that people of certain IQ level cannot handle a weapon any more responsibly than a child can, then they should also be prohibited from owning weapons.

  4. #234
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Mental health professionals should decide and then legislators (and judges in specific cases) should use their decisions to form law. I don't think there's a test to predict the future either. However, there are tests that doctors use to determine the threat an individual poses to himself and society and they use those tests to reasonably predict future actions and to treat people according to their diagnoses.

    In addition to people with severe mental illnesses, there are also individuals with IQs at the level of children. Consequently, if mental health professionals determine that people of certain IQ level cannot handle a weapon any more responsibly than a child can, then they should also be prohibited from owning weapons.
    Considering that no two psychological health professionals will reach the same conclusion who then do you appoint?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #235
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Considering that no two psychological health professionals will reach the same conclusion who then do you appoint?
    That's up to the lawmakers and judges just like it's up to them in deciding any law in which more than one professional opinion exists (which is nearly every law and political decision from foreign policy to environmental issues). Hopefully, they'll choose the conclusions supported by the most reliable evidence.

  6. #236
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    That's up to the lawmakers and judges.......
    So "Shall not be infringed" as prohibited by the U.S. Constitution is now "shall be infringed by psychologists determined by politicians and judges" in your book? And you say you are pro-second. Hint, the amendment was written specifically to disbar the governmnet from establishing infringements at will.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #237
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Considering that no two psychological health professionals will reach the same conclusion who then do you appoint?
    given his agenda, probably the one that is most likely to ban someone from owning a weapon

  8. #238
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    given his agenda, probably the one that is most likely to ban someone from owning a weapon
    I think so too. I'm trying to see who will admit it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #239
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    So "Shall not be infringed" as prohibited by the U.S. Constitution is now "shall be infringed by psychologists determined by politicians and judges" in your book? And you say you are pro-second. Hint, the amendment was written specifically to disbar the governmnet from establishing infringements at will.
    He is not pro second amendment as it was intended. he has problems with honest people owning guns. I find it interesting he has not voted in the poll. so far only top cat (along with a lurker)has voted NO

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Are pro-2nd Amendment?

    at least 300 million guns in the hands of Americans.

    and yet, we are one of the most dangerous societies in the Western world.

    clearly, more guns does NOT equal a safer society.

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •