View Poll Results: Why did we have segregation? (check all that apply)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • People felt threatened by blacks.

    19 79.17%
  • Racists wanted to keep black people opressed.

    22 91.67%
  • Unfortunately, hate was winning out for that time period.

    16 66.67%
  • Actually, it was a prudent measure to protect people from violence.

    7 29.17%
  • It was just far better to keep people apart who were too different to relate.

    7 29.17%
  • God commanded us to keep difference races separate.

    7 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Why did the US have segregation?

  1. #1
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Why did the US have segregation?

    Segregation happened before my time. I was sad to find out it went on even in the city where I live (which is not down south). Today, it seems so obvious that segregation was an injustice. It makes me wonder why we ever had it.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Why did the US have segregation?

    because there were racist mother ****ers all over this country, who didn't want to be poisoned by the company of black people.

  3. #3
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Why did the US have segregation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    because there were racist mother ****ers all over this country, who didn't want to be poisoned by the company of black people.
    Okay, the poll is done now. Took me a few minutes. You can vote now if you want.

  4. #4
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Why did the US have segregation?

    IMO the root cause of segregation, and racism generally, is people who don't have a whole lot about themselves to be proud about that rely on the "well, at least I'm not black/gay/muslim/female/whatever" angle to make themselves feel better about themselves. You get a lot of folks who really don't have anything to offer. They're dumb, poor, ignorant, not well liked, have a dead end job, etc. Many of those types like to think "well, I may not be much, but just by the nature of my race/gender/sexual orientation/religion/etc I am better than everybody who is different from me in that regard". They get very upset when people try to undermine that belief and the go to extraordinary lengths to preserve that belief. Segregation was just one of many manifestations then and now of that problem.

  5. #5
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Why did the US have segregation?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    IMO the root cause of segregation, and racism generally, is people who don't have a whole lot about themselves to be proud about that rely on the "well, at least I'm not black/gay/muslim/female/whatever" angle to make themselves feel better about themselves. You get a lot of folks who really don't have anything to offer. They're dumb, poor, ignorant, not well liked, have a dead end job, etc. Many of those types like to think "well, I may not be much, but just by the nature of my race/gender/sexual orientation/religion/etc I am better than everybody who is different from me in that regard". They get very upset when people try to undermine that belief and the go to extraordinary lengths to preserve that belief. Segregation was just one of many manifestations then and now of that problem.
    That was really well said. Thanks. Seems like it was a form of scapegoating. I worry about scapegoating today. I think gays, Muslims, atheists, socialists and others get scapegoated today. It's easier to just blame people who are a little different than to find thinking solutions to problems.

  6. #6
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Why did the US have segregation?

    Hindsight is 20/20. It's easy, albeit naive, to try and judge the past with today's views and people really seem to like the easy answers. Fact is, though a law can go into effect instantaneously, societal attitudes are far much slower to respond. Societal attitudes are more of a slow evolution from Point A to Point B. To suggest that society just changes *poof*, short of an extreme situation like a dictatorship taking over, is willful ignorance of how human nature works.

    For this reason, I don't believe any of the poll choices is truly accurate, though #2 is probably the closest to being accurate.

  7. #7
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Why did the US have segregation?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. It's easy, albeit naive, to try and judge the past with today's views and people really seem to like the easy answers. Fact is, though a law can go into effect instantaneously, societal attitudes are far much slower to respond. Societal attitudes are more of a slow evolution from Point A to Point B. To suggest that society just changes *poof*, short of an extreme situation like a dictatorship taking over, is willful ignorance of how human nature works.

    For this reason, I don't believe any of the poll choices is truly accurate, though #2 is probably the closest to being accurate.
    I think hindsight can be valuable because we can see the past more clearly than we see the present. Blacks were ridiculously scapegoated via segregation and other things. So the question to ask is, "Who are we scapegoating today?"

  8. #8
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Why did the US have segregation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    I think hindsight can be valuable because we can see the past more clearly than we see the present. Blacks were ridiculously scapegoated via segregation and other things. So the question to ask is, "Who are we scapegoating today?"
    "Anybody who doesn't think like me?"

    Scapegoating seems to be the trendy strategy for pretty much everything. How I long for somebody to make a Harry Truman-like statement, "The buck stops here.". Even Reagan's, "I take full responsibility" (paraphrasing), while meaningless at the time, is refreshing in hindsight.

  9. #9
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Why did the US have segregation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Segregation happened before my time. I was sad to find out it went on even in the city where I live (which is not down south). Today, it seems so obvious that segregation was an injustice. It makes me wonder why we ever had it.
    I'd say it was because, in order for slavery to be "right," blacks had to be considered "lesser than" whites...one step above farm animals. Segregation kept reminding everyone of that fact. The bigger question to me is, "How on God's green earth did we ever think slavery was right?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #10
    200M yrs of experience
    Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    Last Seen
    05-07-12 @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: Why did the US have segregation?

    Blacks were kidnapped and brought to the US as slaves. In order to make this practice mesh with US morals, slaves had to be viewed as sub-human. Even if they were able to purchase their freedom or to escape or were freed by their owners, Blacks were not allowed to vote or own property or businesses. They were not seen as fully human for many, many years after slavery was outlawed. This was the basis for segregation in the US IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •