View Poll Results: What would it take to switch parties in a Federal election?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Depends on candidate's view of Religious Right

    1 2.44%
  • Depends on candidate's view of Social Programs

    0 0%
  • Depends on candidate's view of Tax Structure

    1 2.44%
  • Depends on candidate's view of Military

    0 0%
  • Depends on candidate's view of Environment

    0 0%
  • Depends on candidate's view of World Affairs

    0 0%
  • It would take more than 1 big issue to sway me from my normal vote

    19 46.34%
  • I only vote for my party

    2 4.88%
  • I don't vote

    2 4.88%
  • You left a necessary choice out for me - I'll explain.

    16 39.02%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 121

Thread: Would you consider switching parties if...?

  1. #31
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Would you consider switching parties if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I pretty much switch from my party of choice every time there's an election. I vote for moderate conservatives (democrats) instead of any actual progressives. I have the disadvantage of beginning my interest in politics during the Bush era, which pushed left and right wing politics farther away from each other. Both sides are financially on the side of wealthy business interests, so no vote will actually push my position on that, and both sides keep tearing apart our civil rights with illegal surveillance and expansion of power under the pretext of fighting terrorism. But the social ideas between the two parties are so extreme that I couldn't imagine supporting a really right wing candidate. It's hard enough getting a democrat to treat minorities like equal citizens, getting that from a republican seems impossible right now.
    So, Alex, er - I mean, Pashendale - your primary issue is one of Social Equality; Social Programs; or both? Meaning, if a Republican outlined a more progressive social program (and you believed he was sincere and able), then would you vote Republican - or, did I read you wrong?
    Last edited by GreenvilleGrows; 01-01-12 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    373

    Re: Would you consider switching parties if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    Would you consider voting for someone in a different party than you normally support during a Federal election? If so, what would it take?
    I do vote based on Party Line. I'll never vote a Republican into office under any circumstance whatsoever. That is a golden promise.

    If for some reason I feel the Democratic candidate is completely incompitent and incapable of holding office, I'll simply opt-out of voting. Which I may do this year in lueu of Obama's 2nd term.

  3. #33
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Would you consider switching parties if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    Thanks, Luna. When you say "far too extreme" - is there an area or 2 that you have in mind? I mean, I'm sure you'd readily admit there are extremists on both sides, but what topic or 2 is your hot button? You say you'd maybe vote 3rd party to jump ship, so is it the establishment in general you don't like (ie: don't trust the individual because of the pressure)?
    I think the Republicans' position on health care is far, far extremist right. Their position is not everyone deserves it. It differs from previous Republicans who supported universal health care, but did so differently than the Democrats would have done it. In the 70s, the Democrats were for single-payer like they have in Canada, but Richard Nixon wanted a combination of a public insurance system coexisting with private insurance companies. It was sensible and would have worked. It was more progressive than the Obama plan that did pass. Nixon wasn't a liberal. He was the arch conservative foe of the left of that era. Now we've gone so far right, even Nixon looks like a liberal. I don't think it's certain Republicans who have gone extreme. I think it's the entire party, as they were opposed to universal health insurance in any way, shape, or form, even a plan that uses no socialism. The entire spectrum has shifted far to the right. The Democrats are the right and the Republicans are the far right, with the only liberal being Dennis Kucinich and the only socialist Bernie Sanders. If you took someone from the conservative party in Canada or England and plopped them into our system, he or she would be considered liberal.

    I want the health insurance system that Nixon was for. I don't think that makes me a far leftist. I think that's centrist or slightly right of center, at least it would be measured by our 70s political spectrum. I object to the country moving far, far to the extremist right. I think the climate is as dangerous as that of Germany following World War I.

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Would you consider switching parties if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    I think the Republicans' position on health care is far, far extremist right. Their position is not everyone deserves it. It differs from previous Republicans who supported universal health care, but did so differently than the Democrats would have done it. In the 70s, the Democrats were for single-payer like they have in Canada, but Richard Nixon wanted a combination of a public insurance system coexisting with private insurance companies. It was sensible and would have worked. It was more progressive than the Obama plan that did pass. Nixon wasn't a liberal. He was the arch conservative foe of the left of that era. Now we've gone so far right, even Nixon looks like a liberal. I don't think it's certain Republicans who have gone extreme. I think it's the entire party, as they were opposed to universal health insurance in any way, shape, or form, even a plan that uses no socialism. The entire spectrum has shifted far to the right. The Democrats are the right and the Republicans are the far right, with the only liberal being Dennis Kucinich and the only socialist Bernie Sanders. If you took someone from the conservative party in Canada or England and plopped them into our system, he or she would be considered liberal.

    I want the health insurance system that Nixon was for. I don't think that makes me a far leftist. I think that's centrist or slightly right of center, at least it would be measured by our 70s political spectrum. I object to the country moving far, far to the extremist right. I think the climate is as dangerous as that of Germany following World War I.
    What you describe is a big part of why, I believe, so many people are now choosing to not be affiliated with any party whatsoever. They feel pushed out and unrepresented. This leaves only the extremes in charge of the parties, which in turn encourages them to be even more extreme. Nobody's opposing them within the party.

    Goes for both parties, but the Reps even more so currently.

  5. #35
    Educator Rosie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    943

    Re: Would you consider switching parties if...?

    Ive never voted for a Republican on the federal leve. I have state-wide and locally, where I'm more familiar with the candidates.

    I'll vote for Obama again. Although, I'd have been happier if he were more liberal than he has been.

    I think Romney isn't as bad as the other Republican candidates, but don't like the flips he's made to appease the Tea Party. I think Rand Paul as President would be a disaster.
    "The measure off intelligence is the ability to change." Albert Einstein

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Would you consider switching parties if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What you describe is a big part of why, I believe, so many people are now choosing to not be affiliated with any party whatsoever. They feel pushed out and unrepresented. This leaves only the extremes in charge of the parties, which in turn encourages them to be even more extreme. Nobody's opposing them within the party.

    Goes for both parties, but the Reps even more so currently.
    Which I find interesting, because my lack of a (R) next to my name is because they are NOT EXTREME ENOUGH for my tastes.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Would you consider switching parties if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What you describe is a big part of why, I believe, so many people are now choosing to not be affiliated with any party whatsoever. They feel pushed out and unrepresented. This leaves only the extremes in charge of the parties, which in turn encourages them to be even more extreme. Nobody's opposing them within the party.

    Goes for both parties, but the Reps even more so currently.
    Absolutely no party out there represents me. The problem with the parties is inherent, they are *ALL* extremist in some fashion. Can't stand the Democrats. Can't stand the Republicans. Detest all the rest of the parties. If I had a legitimate choice, I'd ignore them all.

    The problem is, I don't. They all suck.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #38
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Would you consider switching parties if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdminX View Post
    I do vote based on Party Line. I'll never vote a Republican into office under any circumstance whatsoever. That is a golden promise.

    If for some reason I feel the Democratic candidate is completely incompitent and incapable of holding office, I'll simply opt-out of voting. Which I may do this year in lueu of Obama's 2nd term.
    Ok. And, I see you're a libertarian and "pro-choice on everything". But, the pro-choice label and your pic makes it look like your biggest issue has to do with religious agenda in the right. If a truly non-religious Republican ran, what else would he have to prove to you in the way of issues?
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  9. #39
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Would you consider switching parties if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    I think the Republicans' position on health care is far, far extremist right. Their position is not everyone deserves it. It differs from previous Republicans who supported universal health care, but did so differently than the Democrats would have done it. In the 70s, the Democrats were for single-payer like they have in Canada, but Richard Nixon wanted a combination of a public insurance system coexisting with private insurance companies. It was sensible and would have worked. It was more progressive than the Obama plan that did pass. Nixon wasn't a liberal. He was the arch conservative foe of the left of that era. Now we've gone so far right, even Nixon looks like a liberal. I don't think it's certain Republicans who have gone extreme. I think it's the entire party, as they were opposed to universal health insurance in any way, shape, or form, even a plan that uses no socialism. The entire spectrum has shifted far to the right. The Democrats are the right and the Republicans are the far right, with the only liberal being Dennis Kucinich and the only socialist Bernie Sanders. If you took someone from the conservative party in Canada or England and plopped them into our system, he or she would be considered liberal.

    I want the health insurance system that Nixon was for. I don't think that makes me a far leftist. I think that's centrist or slightly right of center, at least it would be measured by our 70s political spectrum. I object to the country moving far, far to the extremist right. I think the climate is as dangerous as that of Germany following World War I.
    Is it possible this division is just more evident because all the extremists get so much coverage on the internet and in 24-hour news stations with nothing else to report? I mean, wouldn't the masses still be fairly similar?
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  10. #40
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: Would you consider switching parties if...?

    My party (the Indepedence Party of Minnesota) probably won't endorse anybody for President, so I'm not switching parties either way. If they choose to endorse anybody, I may or may not vote that way. I'd consider their endorsement, but I wouldn't feel bound by it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •