View Poll Results: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offense?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,but only if they can not find licensed driver to drive the vehicle home.

    21 40.38%
  • Yes,regardless if they can find a licensed driver to drive the vehicle home.

    15 28.85%
  • They should never tow a unlicensed driver's vehicle.

    10 19.23%
  • other

    6 11.54%
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 204

Thread: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offense?

  1. #81
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    How about this scenario as a good reason why I highly disapprove of towing every "unlicensed" driver's car just because?

    Guy is driving his car, with licensed passenger, and they get pulled over for some minor infraction. Guy has valid license, but due to a case of identity fraud, it also shows up that he had a license suspended in another state (that he never lived in) because of a DUI. Now, the cops don't automatically accept that this guy has been a victim of identity fraud, but need to clear the case up. Passenger drives car until necessary legal measures are made to take care of identity fraud case and he can prove that his current driver's license is valid.

    This happened to someone I know how I described it. The idea given for this thread would have cost the person a lot of money for something that was not their fault.
    If that is the case the person should get a refund after clearing everything up.

    ID fraud is a big thing but that fact alone cannot undermine good and valid legal constructs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #82
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,062

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    It really depends on the individual case and the location of the offence. Sometimes mistakes happen and the police officer should have some ability to decide whether the vehicle will pose a hazard if left where it is sitting or if some other person could remove the vehicle. Many small towns really do not have a place to impound a vehicle too, and if a state makes it minatory to impound the vehicle it would cause financial stress on some communities.

    California Law on Driving Without a License | Vehicle Code 12500 a vc

  3. #83
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    If that is the case the person should get a refund after clearing everything up.

    ID fraud is a big thing but that fact alone cannot undermine good and valid legal constructs...
    It's a waste of money. The city really wouldn't be making money off of towing the person's car, even if there is an impound fee because the impound fee is not likely to be high enough to make up for the cost of the impound (paying the guard, the property needed to stow those cars) and put a lot of extra money into the coffers too. The cops would be wasting time waiting for the tow truck when someone who could drive the car home is already right there. And every time someone had an incident like I described, where they were in the right, the city would have to pay them back the impound fee plus the tow truck fee.

    People make mistakes. Heck, my husband forgot his wallet today when we drove up to the dentists' office. It would be complete bullcrap if we would have had to pay for a tow fee for the car when it could have easily been parked for 15 min in the parking lot while either him or I walked back to the house and back to it with his wallet to prove he had a valid license (and yes, we could have easily walked from the dentists' office to our house and back in 15 min, in fact, he probably could have ran it in 5 or less). He wasn't putting anyone's safety at risk by just not having his on him.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #84
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I am seriously confused... even more than normal. If a person does not have a license and they are driving (illegally) then how are they not guilty?
    We either believe in the Constitution and due process, or we don't... even when it's a formality.

  5. #85
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I think it goes along perfectly with your silly "they are victims" post, actually.
    You're seriously confused... even more so than normal. I never said, nor did I imply, "they are victims".

    But I do note that you agree his response was silly.


    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    I still stand by his assertion of an implicit right to travel...... but NOT a right to drive.. I stand corrected sir, my most sincere of apologies.
    Driving is a privilege, yes, but due process is a right... or is supposed to be a right... and the government should not be in the business of requiring people to preemptively waive their government rights in order to take part in an otherwise legal activity.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It's a waste of money. The city really wouldn't be making money off of towing the person's car, even if there is an impound fee because the impound fee is not likely to be high enough to make up for the cost of the impound (paying the guard, the property needed to stow those cars) and put a lot of extra money into the coffers too. The cops would be wasting time waiting for the tow truck when someone who could drive the car home is already right there. And every time someone had an incident like I described, where they were in the right, the city would have to pay them back the impound fee plus the tow truck fee.

    People make mistakes. Heck, my husband forgot his wallet today when we drove up to the dentists' office. It would be complete bullcrap if we would have had to pay for a tow fee for the car when it could have easily been parked for 15 min in the parking lot while either him or I walked back to the house and back to it with his wallet to prove he had a valid license (and yes, we could have easily walked from the dentists' office to our house and back in 15 min, in fact, he probably could have ran it in 5 or less). He wasn't putting anyone's safety at risk by just not having his on him.
    Heck... fair enough. I was not going to my death bed with that position. If a driver with a valid license can drive the car then they should drive the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You're seriously confused... even more so than normal. I never said, nor did I imply, "they are victims".

    But I do note that you agree his response was silly.
    Clever boy!

    you - ""innocent until proven guilty" is a myth in our society."

    ...is a "victim" post. It obviously is not a myth.

    Oh the poor people being taken advantage of by Big Brother having their rights trampled... victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #88
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,253

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Perhaps it's different here. Is everyone in the US with a licence to drive also automatically covered by insurance to drive any car, whether owned by them or not?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #89
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It's a waste of money. The city really wouldn't be making money off of towing the person's car, even if there is an impound fee because the impound fee is not likely to be high enough to make up for the cost of the impound (paying the guard, the property needed to stow those cars) and put a lot of extra money into the coffers too. The cops would be wasting time waiting for the tow truck when someone who could drive the car home is already right there. And every time someone had an incident like I described, where they were in the right, the city would have to pay them back the impound fee plus the tow truck fee.

    People make mistakes. Heck, my husband forgot his wallet today when we drove up to the dentists' office. It would be complete bullcrap if we would have had to pay for a tow fee for the car when it could have easily been parked for 15 min in the parking lot while either him or I walked back to the house and back to it with his wallet to prove he had a valid license (and yes, we could have easily walked from the dentists' office to our house and back in 15 min, in fact, he probably could have ran it in 5 or less). He wasn't putting anyone's safety at risk by just not having his on him.
    uhm ive been pulled over and i did not have my license or insurance and they verified both?

    just saying, I mean in todays age is there a police department around that cant do this?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #90
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Clever boy!

    you - ""innocent until proven guilty" is a myth in our society."

    ...is a "victim" post. It obviously is not a myth.

    Oh the poor people being taken advantage of by Big Brother having their rights trampled... victim.
    Given your response to this post, and your lack of response to my previous post (#84), I have no choice but to conclude that you do not support, nor give one whit about, our Constitution or due process. Duly noted and filed away for future reference.

    "Innocent until proven guilty" IS a myth when people such as yourself willfully dismiss and mock the Constitution and due process, btw.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •