View Poll Results: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offense?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,but only if they can not find licensed driver to drive the vehicle home.

    21 40.38%
  • Yes,regardless if they can find a licensed driver to drive the vehicle home.

    15 28.85%
  • They should never tow a unlicensed driver's vehicle.

    10 19.23%
  • other

    6 11.54%
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 204

Thread: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offense?

  1. #141
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    ok... just got home... where were we...

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    so where did I mention mandatory and why dont you quote my many many posts where I said it should be the cops decision and not mandatory hmmmmmm I wonder why LMAO
    here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    ...

    im in favor of what ever the officers decides just like a speeding ticket and if there is priors it should be mandatory, cops dont need to help people breaking the law

    ...
    And while prior offenses can sometimes be allowed to override constitutional protections/rights (i.e. Many states have legislated that violent felons cannot own guns or vote, and they have as yet held up to constitutional scrutiny) there is no offense which allows the state to override a citizen's right to due process.
    AND...
    I didn't quote your "many, many" posts which contained language like "cops decision and not mandatory" because I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. See below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    notice I also voted OTHER genius, whoops LOL
    I actually did notice that. I checked once you started to emphasize the "not mandatory" stuff (admittedly I was really hoping that you had voted for option 2). At the time I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was an intelligent choice which would allow you to adjust your position based on new evidence and information. In retrospect it appears I may have given you far too much credit. I can only make the assumption now that your choice to choose "other" is simply to allow you the ability to switch positions at will without ever having to actually defend them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    what a joke, you are pathetic, you attempts to save face will not work do you forget that EVERYTHING I wrote is here in black and white not just what you are dishonestly trying to misrepresent
    How can I misrepresent you when I am directly quoting you? How can I be trying to "save face" when my position has never wavered? I'd also point out that each and every time you backed yourself into an untenable position you either neglected to address the point I addressed or resorted to personal attack. I can only assume these were attempts to ignore the point altogether for lack of having a coherent counter-point.

    Since I have seen your posts in many other threads I will help you with your response... just cut and paste and follow the bold instructions. Feel free to change any use of the word "blah" to anything you want, or leave it alone, or delete it... it doesn't matter as it wouldn't change the overall message anyway.

    blah... blah... blah... [insert personal attack here]. LOL
    blah... blah... blah... [insert irrelevant/unrelated gotcha comment here]. hahahaha
    blah... blah... blah... [insert phrase utilizing the word deflection] blah... blah...[insert phrase utilizing the word illogical] blah... blah...[insert phrase utilizing the word(s) reality and/or fantasy] blah... blah...[insert phrase utilizing the word relevant] blah... blah... blah.
    blah... blah... blah... I didn't address your [insert derogatory adjective] point because it was [insert derogatory adjective here], and because you are a/an [insert personal attack here] blah.. blah.. you ignore the fact that [insert red herring here]blah...blah while claiming [insert strawman argument here](feel free to add an emoticon and /or capitalized textspeak if you like)

    Or... you can abandon the personal attacks and logical fallacies and actually address the counter claims to issues you yourself brought up. The choice is yours.

  2. #142
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    Just because the law says so, does not make it fair. Do you think anti-speech laws are fair too? In fact most countries limit free speech and imprison people who disagree too much with mainstream thought. This does not only happen in developing countries, in Swedes they imprison people for calling homosexuality a sin.

    The passengers are punished if the car is towed away. They may be on their way to something important. If they are allowed to drive, it is only fair that they are allowed to drive the car instead.

    If you believe just fining them is not enough, then we can increase the fine or include prison time. But I believe we should try to avoid punishing innocents.
    the passenger are not punished in REALITY, they dont get fined the dont get arrested they dont lose their cars, they are not punished but I could argue if the car doesnt get towed the person breaking the law does get rewarded lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #143
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    ok... just got home... where were we...


    here:

    And while prior offenses can sometimes be allowed to override constitutional protections/rights (i.e. Many states have legislated that violent felons cannot own guns or vote, and they have as yet held up to constitutional scrutiny) there is no offense which allows the state to override a citizen's right to due process.
    AND...
    I didn't quote your "many, many" posts which contained language like "cops decision and not mandatory" because I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. See below.

    I actually did notice that. I checked once you started to emphasize the "not mandatory" stuff (admittedly I was really hoping that you had voted for option 2). At the time I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was an intelligent choice which would allow you to adjust your position based on new evidence and information. In retrospect it appears I may have given you far too much credit. I can only make the assumption now that your choice to choose "other" is simply to allow you the ability to switch positions at will without ever having to actually defend them.

    How can I misrepresent you when I am directly quoting you? How can I be trying to "save face" when my position has never wavered? I'd also point out that each and every time you backed yourself into an untenable position you either neglected to address the point I addressed or resorted to personal attack. I can only assume these were attempts to ignore the point altogether for lack of having a coherent counter-point.

    Since I have seen your posts in many other threads I will help you with your response... just cut and paste and follow the bold instructions. Feel free to change any use of the word "blah" to anything you want, or leave it alone, or delete it... it doesn't matter as it wouldn't change the overall message anyway.

    blah... blah... blah... [insert personal attack here]. LOL
    blah... blah... blah... [insert irrelevant/unrelated gotcha comment here]. hahahaha
    blah... blah... blah... [insert phrase utilizing the word deflection] blah... blah...[insert phrase utilizing the word illogical] blah... blah...[insert phrase utilizing the word(s) reality and/or fantasy] blah... blah...[insert phrase utilizing the word relevant] blah... blah... blah.
    blah... blah... blah... I didn't address your [insert derogatory adjective] point because it was [insert derogatory adjective here], and because you are a/an [insert personal attack here] blah.. blah.. you ignore the fact that [insert red herring here]blah...blah while claiming [insert strawman argument here](feel free to add an emoticon and /or capitalized textspeak if you like)

    Or... you can abandon the personal attacks and logical fallacies and actually address the counter claims to issues you yourself brought up. The choice is yours.
    what on gods name are you talking about I havent attacked you You infact did lie and did back pedal and make stuff up LOL

    I asked where I was in support of it being mandatory when I voted other and all you could mange to post was me saying id be in support of making it madatory IF THERE WERE PRIORS

    hahahahahah but yet you still ignore where I said MULTIPLE TIMES i want it to be up to the cop and I support he decisions and not be mandatory?????????

    could you be any more dishonest you are really looking more silly with each post

    let me know when you are done trying to save face, done lying and trying to argue something that was never said.

    Ill be waiting for you to prove MY statements wrong or give me proof that I said anything you are trying to misrepresent me saying LOL

    This is hilarious
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #144
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offense?

    Yes,but only if they can not find licensed driver to drive the vehicle home.
    Yes,regardless if they can find a licensed driver to drive the vehicle home.
    No
    other

    I say yes regardless if they can find a licensed driver to drive the car home.They are driving without license,they should have their car towed when pulled over for a traffic offense.Just letting some other guy tow the car will just mean the individual will go back to driving unlicensed.
    I agree. No license means no insurance unless they're borrowing someone's car. And, if they are, then the car's owner deserves the inconvenience and $$ penalty of loaning his car to an unlicensed driver. Unlicensed drivers are all over the place. Why?? Because the penalties for same aren't strict enough. Hit 'em where it hurts. Hard.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    the passenger are not punished in REALITY, they dont get fined the dont get arrested they dont lose their cars, they are not punished but I could argue if the car doesnt get towed the person breaking the law does get rewarded lol
    They are punished. Under normal laws licensed drivers can drive any car as long as the owner permits it. If you tell them that they can not drive this car, and has to walk home, because another driver was driving wrong, then that is collective punishment.

    And you are on a slippery slope if you start regarding the absence of punishment as a reward.

    If this is about punishing the driver harder, then they are ways to punish the driver harder. We can increase the fines or give them prison times. If you are concerned about equality, and believe they should all pay the same, then the ones who keeps the car have to pay a higher fine.

    Towing away the car when someone else can drive it is a collective punishment and expensive.

  6. #146
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I agree. No license means no insurance unless they're borrowing someone's car. And, if they are, then the car's owner deserves the inconvenience and $$ penalty of loaning his car to an unlicensed driver. Unlicensed drivers are all over the place. Why?? Because the penalties for same aren't strict enough. Hit 'em where it hurts. Hard.
    How about when the driver still has the physical license in his possession, but it's been suspended? The owners asks for, and verifies, that the driver "has a license", but has no way of knowing its current non-status. The owner did his reasonable due diligence.

  7. #147
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    They are punished. Under normal laws licensed drivers can drive any car as long as the owner permits it. If you tell them that they can not drive this car, and has to walk home, because another driver was driving wrong, then that is collective punishment.

    And you are on a slippery slope if you start regarding the absence of punishment as a reward.

    If this is about punishing the driver harder, then they are ways to punish the driver harder. We can increase the fines or give them prison times. If you are concerned about equality, and believe they should all pay the same, then the ones who keeps the car have to pay a higher fine.

    Towing away the car when someone else can drive it is a collective punishment and expensive.
    the car was used to break the law and if its not their car they have NO RIGHT to use it

    I have no idea what you are talking about with the fines? I only want the person who broke the law fines nobody else

    towing away a car that belongs to the person that broke the law is SINGULAR punishment, and expense is of no concern to me since that person broke the law

    If Im at my neighbors house and he is a drug dealer but I dont know, the house gets raided while Im there should the cops just let me leave on my word and not question me of check my ID or anything, should they just let me go on my word if I tell them I was just about to leave for something important? LOL

    THEY ARE NOT PUNISHED, they pay NO fine, they serve NO time, they get to keep THEIR OWN cars

    if they are late to an appointment big whoop, the cop cant cater to them and skip out on the law not to mention they are going to be late anyway because this its not going to be a quick process even if he does let someone drive away.

    In REALITY they are not "punished" unless you consider every trivial thing punishment.

    Also save the "dramatics" no one is MAKING them WALK home lol
    they can call for rides, call a cab or as last resort get a ride from the officer when he is done handling the crime in progress
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    the car was used to break the law and if its not their car they have NO RIGHT to use it
    Yes, they do. The car didn't do the offence, the individual did. Just because one individual is not allowed to use a car, does not mean everyone else should not be able to use the car.

    But lets take your arguments further. Lets say that people who do crimes will get their house seized. By your argument the family did not get punished. they pay NO fine, they serve NO time, and they will get to keep THEIR OWN hosue if they have any. That argumentation makes no sense.

    Im at my neighbors house and he is a drug dealer but I dont know, the house gets raided while Im there should the cops just let me leave on my word and not question me of check my ID or anything, should they just let me go on my word if I tell them I was just about to leave for something important? LOL
    No, I say we should limit punishing third parties, not eliminate it. In this case you are not even a third party, you are a suspect.

    My problem is with you is that you want a system that costs more, is unnecessary and punish third parties in a larger degree.

    they can call for rides, call a cab or as last resort get a ride from the officer when he is done handling the crime in progress
    Not everyone lives in the big cities. Getting a cab outside the cities can take time. They may not even have a phone, reception or money, and the police may have other things to do. We can not have a legal system that will only work if the police is nice.

    Your arguments tend to go this way. No, I am not punishing anyone else that the individual, but if the person has to walk home, then screw him. Just because they don't get a fine or a sentence does not mean they do not get punished.
    Last edited by Camlon; 12-31-11 at 03:41 PM.

  9. #149
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,062

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    the car was used to break the law and if its not their car they have NO RIGHT to use it

    I have no idea what you are talking about with the fines? I only want the person who broke the law fines nobody else

    towing away a car that belongs to the person that broke the law is SINGULAR punishment, and expense is of no concern to me since that person broke the law

    If Im at my neighbors house and he is a drug dealer but I dont know, the house gets raided while Im there should the cops just let me leave on my word and not question me of check my ID or anything, should they just let me go on my word if I tell them I was just about to leave for something important? LOL

    THEY ARE NOT PUNISHED, they pay NO fine, they serve NO time, they get to keep THEIR OWN cars

    if they are late to an appointment big whoop, the cop cant cater to them and skip out on the law not to mention they are going to be late anyway because this its not going to be a quick process even if he does let someone drive away.

    In REALITY they are not "punished" unless you consider every trivial thing punishment.

    Also save the "dramatics" no one is MAKING them WALK home lol
    they can call for rides, call a cab or as last resort get a ride from the officer when he is done handling the crime in progress
    Cops do not give people rides without handcuffs, I was told this before by a cop after a wreck.

  10. #150
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    Yes, they do. The car didn't do the offence, the individual did. Just because one individual is not allowed to use a car, does not mean everyone else should not be able to use the car.
    no matter how you twist it, in ADULT FREE REALITY they are not punished, NOTHING happens to them, NOTHING lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    But lets take your arguments further. Lets say that people who do crimes will get their house seized. By your argument the family did not get punished. they pay NO fine, they serve NO time, and they will get to keep THEIR OWN hosue if they have any. That argumentation makes no sense.
    guess what it makes PERFECT sense because this is already how the law works. If I embezzle money and I have a house in only MY name and they take it from me thats exactly what happens they take MY house because I did the crime they dont care who stays there lol


    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    No, I say we should limit punishing third parties, not eliminate it. In this case you are not even a third party, you are a suspect.
    why am I a suspect?!?!?!? in this case and not the others? maybe everyone in the car KNEW he was driving it illegally? see your inconsistency is showing itself mighty fast.

    what if Im a perfectly good neighbor and I just stopped by to return a tool I bothered right before I have to catch a plane for a big job interview out of town? how come you dont feel im being "punished" in this case LOL


    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    My problem is with you is that you want a system that costs more, is unnecessary and punish third parties in a larger degree.
    your problem is YOU because I dont want a system that cost more LOL thats something you simp[ly made up or are assuming and I dont want third parties punished either nor do I feel they are being punished in this case because they are grown adults not whiny babies.


    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    Not everyone lives in the big cities. Getting a cab outside the cities can take time. They may not even have a phone, reception or money, and the police may have other things to do. We can not have a legal system that will only work if the police is nice.
    who said everyone lives in a big city? please stay on topic and don't use meaningless examples I said cab, call a friend or have the cop do it after. stop being dramatic like some serial killer movie LOL they were stranded with no phone, no reception, the cop was to busy even to give them a ride where there is reception or a phone and the cop wouldnt even radio a call in from them then what?! DUN DUN DUN!!!!! lol

    the legal system works just fine till babies cry about it, no im not calling YOU a baby Im calling the people in the car a babies if they are crying about it

    what if a meteoroid hit them while they were waiting? please stick to reality we cant cover EVERYTHING


    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    Your arguments tend to go this way. No, I am not punishing anyone else that the individual, but if the person has to walk home, then screw him. Just because they don't get a fine or a sentence does not mean they do not get punished.
    there you go with the "walking home" drama again

    they are not punished, they dont lose anything LIFE is LIFE

    where does your argument of everyone is a victium and is getting punished end?

    what if dad is the only one that brings home money in the family, they lock him up for rape and now the wife and kids lose the house? guess we should just not punish dad for rape because according to you OTHERS will be punished, please stop this is an adult world we live in.

    You if you feel those passengers are being punished you know whos fault it is? THE ILLEGAL DRIVER not the cop LMAO
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •