View Poll Results: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offense?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,but only if they can not find licensed driver to drive the vehicle home.

    21 40.38%
  • Yes,regardless if they can find a licensed driver to drive the vehicle home.

    15 28.85%
  • They should never tow a unlicensed driver's vehicle.

    10 19.23%
  • other

    6 11.54%
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 204

Thread: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offense?

  1. #131
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    LMAO all i hear is moaning and somebody trying to make it easier for criminals and harder for cops
    How exactly is allowing a passenger to drive the vehicle making it harder for cops? As I see it, it frees the cop/dispatcher from having to find a towing service, expedites removal of the vehicle from the roadway, and does not otherwise adversely effect a law abiding citizen (the passenger) by requiring him or her to somehow figure out how to get picked up from the side of the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    1.) easy the cop doesnt want the item used in breaking the law back in the suspects hands DONE LMAO or for SAFTEY. Its not the cops responsibility to cater to someone breaking the law.
    How is allowing the passenger of the vehicle to take possession of the car and move it somehow either catering to, or putting the car back into the hands of the suspect (who is presumably in the back of the squad car awaiting his trip to the pokey). Not to mention that by doing this he would also be denying the passenger from engaging in a completely legal activity without cause. After all the passenger has done nothing illegal here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    2.) because YOU make up a premise for towing a car to be against due process YOU not the law YOU make it up but when that same weak inaccurate logic is applied elsewhere its fine lol
    Neither I nor the law made up the premise, someone else in this thread did and I merely responded to it. You even admitted to not having read the whole thread leading up to this very issue... you should really go do that. I didn't set up this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    3.) wow what the hell are you talking about LOL Im talking about the reaming people left if that car isnt on their insurance its a no go
    First off in terms of automobile insurance, it is the car that gets insured, not the driver. The primary driver merely influences the cost of the insurance. Either that insurance allows for other drivers or it doesn't. Either way it doesn't matter, since the assumption was that the vehicle is legally operable by the passenger as the original context of the situation made no claim to the contrary. If the passenger cannot legally operate the car then who is arguing that should should be allowed to drive illegally? Certainly not I.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    4.) wasnt saying it matters if its felony or not?????? I was saying its not a felony like your example LOL Its evidence if the cop wants it to be
    Ummm, no a cop cannot just arbitrarily seize somebody's property on the claim that it is evidence because he wants it to be. As point of fact, even if there were a precedence for a car being used as evidence in this manner, the police officer would first have to get a judge to sign off on a subpoena for seizure of personal property which he would clearly not have available to him at the time of arrest. And to head off the ridiculous "then the gun cant be used as evidence" argument, the gun is not protected as personal property as it is not legally owned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    5 then you imeddiately state after that "then there can be no argument for not allowing a different licensed driver to remove the vehicle from the roadway (i.e. a passenger that is present at the time of arrest)." so according to your own words anytime a care is towed under these conditions it must be punitive because according to you theres no toher reason to do such LMAO
    Hey, I'm all ears. I already admitted I can't think of any other reason, I've been asking you if you knew of one and you haven't provided one yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    I agree you are right you could not have been more clear and you are clearly wrong
    Gotcha... Your ok with applying punishment to people before determining whether a crime was committed. Mind-boggling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    but Im done playing semantics and talking circles with you this is my statements and it stands.
    Ok, let's hear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    It doesnt have to be mandatory but the cop is totally just in towing the car when it is being driven illegally and that car is own by that person driving it illegally. And in towing the car there is no infringement of due process.
    Here... right here is the problem.... This Statement is 100% correct. But no one was ever arguing to the contrary. I would even argue that it doesn't even matter if the person owns it or not. The mere fact that you said its not a mandatory situation means that you do not understand the context of the original premise, it was predicated on the fact that it was mandatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    this is my statement prove it wrong

    and of course, if you dont want your car towed dont break the law why is this common sense so hard to accept
    Who hasn't accepted this?

  2. #132
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    How exactly is allowing a passenger to drive the vehicle making it harder for cops? As I see it, it frees the cop/dispatcher from having to find a towing service, expedites removal of the vehicle from the roadway, and does not otherwise adversely effect a law abiding citizen (the passenger) by requiring him or her to somehow figure out how to get picked up from the side of the road.

    How is allowing the passenger of the vehicle to take possession of the car and move it somehow either catering to, or putting the car back into the hands of the suspect (who is presumably in the back of the squad car awaiting his trip to the pokey). Not to mention that by doing this he would also be denying the passenger from engaging in a completely legal activity without cause. After all the passenger has done nothing illegal here.

    Neither I nor the law made up the premise, someone else in this thread did and I merely responded to it. You even admitted to not having read the whole thread leading up to this very issue... you should really go do that. I didn't set up this situation.

    First off in terms of automobile insurance, it is the car that gets insured, not the driver. The primary driver merely influences the cost of the insurance. Either that insurance allows for other drivers or it doesn't. Either way it doesn't matter, since the assumption was that the vehicle is legally operable by the passenger as the original context of the situation made no claim to the contrary. If the passenger cannot legally operate the car then who is arguing that should should be allowed to drive illegally? Certainly not I.

    Ummm, no a cop cannot just arbitrarily seize somebody's property on the claim that it is evidence because he wants it to be. As point of fact, even if there were a precedence for a car being used as evidence in this manner, the police officer would first have to get a judge to sign off on a subpoena for seizure of personal property which he would clearly not have available to him at the time of arrest. And to head off the ridiculous "then the gun cant be used as evidence" argument, the gun is not protected as personal property as it is not legally owned.

    Hey, I'm all ears. I already admitted I can't think of any other reason, I've been asking you if you knew of one and you haven't provided one yet.

    Gotcha... Your ok with applying punishment to people before determining whether a crime was committed. Mind-boggling.

    Ok, let's hear it.

    Here... right here is the problem.... This Statement is 100% correct. But no one was ever arguing to the contrary. I would even argue that it doesn't even matter if the person owns it or not. The mere fact that you said its not a mandatory situation means that you do not understand the context of the original premise, it was predicated on the fact that it was mandatory.

    Who hasn't accepted this?
    please stop LYING lol, its pathetic
    "original premise" hahahahaha

    here is my statement again

    "It doesnt have to be mandatory but the cop is totally just in towing the car when it is being driven illegally and that car is own by that person driving it illegally. And in towing the car there is no infringement of due process."

    YOU have been responding to it by quoting me and attacking it so again I ask you please prove it wrong, ill be waiting or are you just going to lie again and do another back pedal to save face?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    I am against collective punishment. The driver should be punished, but not the passengers he bring with him. So the car should be towed away only if there are no one to drive the car home. The passengers may have to go to something important and may not even know the driver do not have a license.

  4. #134
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    I am against collective punishment. The driver should be punished, but not the passengers he bring with him. So the car should be towed away only if there are no one to drive the car home. The passengers may have to go to something important and may not even know the driver do not have a license.
    **** happens, I might be at somebody's house who is a drug dealer and I dont know, house gets raided guess what? Im busy for a while explaining who I am and if im involved or not

    now I understand thats bad luck and unfortunate but its no reason to say they care should definitely NOT be towed, if the cop decided he doesnt want to, fine but if he does thats great to

    me , if that car belongs to the person who was driving it illegally I would tow the car probably 98% of the time if I was a cop.

    Be very little cases or reason not to IMO
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    **** happens, I might be at somebody's house who is a drug dealer and I dont know, house gets raided guess what? Im busy for a while explaining who I am and if im involved or not

    now I understand thats bad luck and unfortunate but its no reason to say they care should definitely NOT be towed, if the cop decided he doesnt want to, fine but if he does thats great to

    me , if that car belongs to the person who was driving it illegally I would tow the car probably 98% of the time if I was a cop.

    Be very little cases or reason not to IMO
    You can say **** happens, but I want a fair system that punish and rewards individuals and not collectives.

    There is a reason I am a conservative and not a liberal.

  6. #136
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    You can say **** happens, but I want a fair system that punish and rewards individuals and not collectives.

    There is a reason I am a conservative and not a liberal.
    By law standards the law in this case IS fair

    The bystanders are not punished they get to keep their cars and not go to jail or receive a fine
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #137
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    please stop LYING lol, its pathetic
    "original premise" hahahahaha

    here is my statement again

    "It doesnt have to be mandatory but the cop is totally just in towing the car when it is being driven illegally and that car is own by that person driving it illegally. And in towing the car there is no infringement of due process."

    YOU have been responding to it by quoting me and attacking it so again I ask you please prove it wrong, ill be waiting or are you just going to lie again and do another back pedal to save face?
    I'm the person back peddling and "lying"?
    Lets examine this...
    This Your Initial Post to this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offense?

    Yes,but only if they can not find licensed driver to drive the vehicle home.
    Yes,regardless if they can find a licensed driver to drive the vehicle home.
    No
    other

    I say yes regardless if they can find a licensed driver to drive the car home.They are driving without license,they should have their car towed when pulled over for a traffic offense.Just letting some other guy tow the car will just mean the individual will go back to driving unlicensed.
    yes the car should be impounded if that car belongs to that driver, plain and simple
    James make a case for mandatory towing, and you agree. How can you claim that the original premise was anything other than mandatory towing?

    Later you even reinforce this position with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    If you don't have a license and its your car I can't think of a reason why you car shouldn't be towed.

    Nothing that is of merit and a huge impact in reality anyway. Does anybody have anything?
    And now you are trying to claim you weren't making a case for mandatory towing? Really?
    or are you going to somehow try and explain how "yes regardless if they can find a licensed driver to drive the car home" somehow does not equate to mandatory towing?

  8. #138
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    I'm the person back peddling and "lying"?
    Lets examine this...
    This Your Initial Post to this thread:

    James make a case for mandatory towing, and you agree. How can you claim that the original premise was anything other than mandatory towing?

    Later you even reinforce this position with:


    And now you are trying to claim you weren't making a case for mandatory towing? Really?
    or are you going to somehow try and explain how "yes regardless if they can find a licensed driver to drive the car home" somehow does not equate to mandatory towing?
    so where did I mention mandatory and why dont you quote my many many posts where I said it should be the cops decision and not mandatory hmmmmmm I wonder why LMAO

    notice I also voted OTHER genius, whoops LOL

    what a joke, you are pathetic, you attempts to save face will not work do you forget that EVERYTHING I wrote is here in black and white not just what you are dishonestly trying to misrepresent
    Last edited by AGENT J; 12-31-11 at 12:14 AM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #139
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    To my knowledge the is no state in the union which requires a driver's license as qualification of automobile ownership.
    You are definitely right here. In fact, I just got a new driver's permit yesterday (might actually finally get a driver's license from this one), yet I have been joint owner of our Mazda 5 since we got it last month.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Should unlicensed drivers have their vehicles towed when pulled over for an offen

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    By law standards the law in this case IS fair

    The bystanders are not punished they get to keep their cars and not go to jail or receive a fine
    Just because the law says so, does not make it fair. Do you think anti-speech laws are fair too? In fact most countries limit free speech and imprison people who disagree too much with mainstream thought. This does not only happen in developing countries, in Swedes they imprison people for calling homosexuality a sin.

    The passengers are punished if the car is towed away. They may be on their way to something important. If they are allowed to drive, it is only fair that they are allowed to drive the car instead.

    If you believe just fining them is not enough, then we can increase the fine or include prison time. But I believe we should try to avoid punishing innocents.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •