View Poll Results: Do you vote?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: in all elections (national and local)

    60 61.22%
  • Yes: but only in national and some local

    17 17.35%
  • Yes: but only national

    2 2.04%
  • Maybe: it depends on the election

    7 7.14%
  • No: I'm not old enough, yet.

    1 1.02%
  • No: not at all

    5 5.10%
  • No: I'm not legally permitted

    1 1.02%
  • Other

    5 5.10%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 178

Thread: Do you vote? (poll)

  1. #81
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    I compare voting in America to shopping at Walmart. There is the appearance of choice, but underneath the fancy labels are the same low quality, imitation garbage no matter what one chooses.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  2. #82
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    As far as voting for a President they simply don't do that much. They don't have that big an impact on the economy or legislation, except vetoing something for their party. They can make decisions on the military and put out executive orders but they're more symbolic anymore than real managers. They're role as leader is more of a cheerleader for the nation than policy maker. You appoint good agency heads, campaign a lot, play some golf and take vacations praying you never have to open the "football" and push the button.
    Last edited by grip; 01-01-12 at 12:01 PM.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #83
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    So are you saying that casting no vote can count as voting intelligently?

    Or are you saying that, in order to vote intelligently one should totally ignore the nonsense that the candidates spew and look only at the promises they make which aren't complete and utter bull**** and then cast a vote for one of them?

    If its the former, I agree; if it's the latter, I disagree. I'll explain that more if it turns out to be the former.

    I agree 100% with the fact that too many people fall for the crap, though and thus are not voting intelligently.
    I think it can be either, depending on the given election.

    If neither candidate is worthy in one's eyes, and both candidates are roughly the same, then I see no issue with not voting. I would view not voting in this case as a form of protest, but I'm fine with that. I think that's valid.

    If neither candidate is worthy, but one candidate is far worse than the other, then as unpleasant as it may be it is still beneficial to vote for the "lesser of two evils" simply in an attempt to keep the "greater evil" out. It's not ideal, but it's practical self-interest.

    Having said that, regarding the person who NEVER votes on literally anything ever, they have chosen to allow others to choose for them, and thus have morally forfeited their right to complain about the results. (Not saying you do this, but some people do... my mother being one of them.)

  4. #84
    Guru
    OKgrannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,221

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Approximately 50% of those who COULD vote are registered to vote. In a well-publicized election, about 50% of the people registered to vote actually exercise that right. This is the method of the right-wing election campaigning, they only need to get 26% (twenty-five percent plus one) of the population to win an election. This is how a minority gets control of government.

    I not only vote in every election, I am a poll worker who makes it possible for others to vote. Election day is a long day, beginning at 6:30 a.m. or earlier, and ending sometime after 7:00 p.m. For those hours, poll workers must take a lunch, since it is forbidden to leave the polls for any reason, and are paid $87 a day here.
    "Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."
    ~Anonymous

  5. #85
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I think it can be either, depending on the given election.

    If neither candidate is worthy in one's eyes, and both candidates are roughly the same, then I see no issue with not voting. I would view not voting in this case as a form of protest, but I'm fine with that. I think that's valid.

    If neither candidate is worthy, but one candidate is far worse than the other, then as unpleasant as it may be it is still beneficial to vote for the "lesser of two evils" simply in an attempt to keep the "greater evil" out. It's not ideal, but it's practical self-interest.

    Having said that, regarding the person who NEVER votes on literally anything ever, they have chosen to allow others to choose for them, and thus have morally forfeited their right to complain about the results. (Not saying you do this, but some people do... my mother being one of them.)
    I'm assuming you are talking about non-presidential elections, then, because presidential elections have little to do with individual votes of the vast majority of people. Take me, for instance, I live in Illinois.

    The outcome of the presidential election is already decided here, regardless of how I vote, well before the election ever happens. If I vote for the winner, it'll make no difference, if I vote against the winner it'll make no difference because very single one of my state's electoral college votes are going to a predetermined candidate based on teh political views of the peopel in my state.

    As far as never voting goes, you really need to know what a person's beliefs are before you can claim they have morally forfeited their right to complain about the results. I believe that the two parties are identically bad for the country. Nether one is superior to the other, and all candidates from either party suck and are essentially pushing the same crap, just with different decorations. This carries over to pretty much every candidate from one of those two parties. Any candidate worth voting for will never make it out of the primaries because they are, by virtue of being good candidates, going to reject the nonsense from their party enough to sabotage any chance of getting the nomination for that party.

    If someone flat-out rejects the two-party system and thinks that any candidate that is a part of that system is, for all practical purposes, equally as bad as any another one from that system, then they are morally obligated to not vote. They have forfeited nothing, because they oppose the entire system.

    Granted, I will often cast a vote for a third party candidate for president knowing the following reasons:

    1. My vote doesn't count in Illinois regardless of who I vote for
    2. A vote against the two-party system can actually count for something by way of voicing opposition to that system.
    3. If enough people vote third party, it increases the chances that third party candidates will be invited to the debates. Even if they don't win, some of their ideas that break away form teh two-party mold could take root.

    In local elections, it's different. I will sometimes vote for the lesser of two evils because, frankly, Chicago is a borderline one-party system.

  6. #86
    Educator Rosie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    961

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    I vote in every election. Oregon has "Vote by Mail" elections, so it's easy. But, I always have voted, even before the mail in vote, since I was 18, and I'm "old" now.
    Last edited by Rosie1; 01-01-12 at 08:02 PM.
    "The measure off intelligence is the ability to change." Albert Einstein

  7. #87
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Unless you live in a swing state, your vote has absolutely no bearing on who the next president will be. If you are lucky enough to live in a swing state, your vote has a very, very tiny effect on it.

    I don't live in a swing state (It hasn't been a swing state in my voting lifetime, although it was one once). Therefore, no matter what I do, the president will be decided by others, and unfortunately, most of them aren't very bright.

    There is a very strongly held myth in this country that every vote counts. Nothing could be further from the truth. Almost nobody's vote actually counts.
    This is similar to the logic I use not to play the Lottery - the chances of winning are almost as great of winning if you play or not! However, I don't view voting as playing the lottery, even if my vote is overridden by others.

    I believe that the more people that vote, the more representative is our government.

    I see it as a duty of every citizen. Having fulfilled that duty, I then have the right, as someone that has participated in the selection process to complain if that person doesn't live up to their promise to get my vote.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #88
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    This is similar to the logic I use not to play the Lottery - the chances of winning are almost as great of winning if you play or not!
    Not quite accurate. The odds of winning some prize in the lottery are much better than the odds of winning the jackpot, and even the odds of winning the jackpot approach 100% over a sufficient number of entries. Playing the lottery is a matter of opportunity cost-- your odds of winning more than you put in, versus your odds of making a better profit using your money for something else.

    That doesn't apply to voting, since you only get one vote which has a zero percent chance of winning since it isn't even counted.

  9. #89
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    Not quite accurate. The odds of winning some prize in the lottery are much better than the odds of winning the jackpot, and even the odds of winning the jackpot approach 100% over a sufficient number of entries. Playing the lottery is a matter of opportunity cost-- your odds of winning more than you put in, versus your odds of making a better profit using your money for something else.
    Yep, that is the way I see, the more people participate, the greater the chance their government will be representative.

    Show me a successful Democracy with an apathetic electorate?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #90
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    I do my best to vote in every election made available to me.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •