View Poll Results: Do you vote?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: in all elections (national and local)

    60 61.22%
  • Yes: but only in national and some local

    17 17.35%
  • Yes: but only national

    2 2.04%
  • Maybe: it depends on the election

    7 7.14%
  • No: I'm not old enough, yet.

    1 1.02%
  • No: not at all

    5 5.10%
  • No: I'm not legally permitted

    1 1.02%
  • Other

    5 5.10%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 178

Thread: Do you vote? (poll)

  1. #71
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Unless you live in a swing state, your vote has absolutely no bearing on who the next president will be. If you are lucky enough to live in a swing state, your vote has a very, very tiny effect on it.

    I don't live in a swing state (It hasn't been a swing state in my voting lifetime, although it was one once). Therefore, no matter what I do, the president will be decided by others, and unfortunately, most of them aren't very bright.

    There is a very strongly held myth in this country that every vote counts. Nothing could be further from the truth. Almost nobody's vote actually counts.
    Yep. It is why I will vote for Stephen Colbert again. My vote will change jack **** in the larger sense of an SC election.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  2. #72
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    Yep. It is why I will vote for Stephen Colbert again. My vote will change jack **** in the larger sense of an SC election.
    That's what gets me. People are under this delusion that their vote counts, despite all of the evidence proving otherwise. The **** about "If you don't vote, then you are part of the problem" is so astronomically out of touch with reality that it boggles my mind that some people believe it. Believing your vote counts is the real problem. If people copped on to the fact that it's all a dog and pony show, maybe then the problems would actually get fixed.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    I voted "Maybe", though it really depends more on the CANDIDATES than the Offices as to how I choose which ones to avoid. I have been known to walk into a voting booth, cast a vote for ONE office, or just on the ballot initiatives, leave the rest of the ballot blank, and be done with it. It does tend to get some interesting looks when you take about 10 seconds to fill out a front & back ballot before heading to the check-out. I have no interest in voting AGAINST anyone, or for anyone who I do not feel is worthy of my vote. It's that simple.

  4. #74
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Unless you live in a swing state, your vote has absolutely no bearing on who the next president will be. If you are lucky enough to live in a swing state, your vote has a very, very tiny effect on it.

    I don't live in a swing state (It hasn't been a swing state in my voting lifetime, although it was one once). Therefore, no matter what I do, the president will be decided by others, and unfortunately, most of them aren't very bright.

    There is a very strongly held myth in this country that every vote counts. Nothing could be further from the truth. Almost nobody's vote actually counts.
    Neither extreme is accurate.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    That's what gets me. People are under this delusion that their vote counts, despite all of the evidence proving otherwise. The **** about "If you don't vote, then you are part of the problem" is so astronomically out of touch with reality that it boggles my mind that some people believe it. Believing your vote counts is the real problem. If people copped on to the fact that it's all a dog and pony show, maybe then the problems would actually get fixed.
    I would phrase it, "If you vote, but don't vote intelligently, you are part of the problem.".

    "Intelligently" meaning doing some due diligence and assessing the candidates not only on what they promise (that you agree with), but what they can actually deliver. For example, Paul claims he will cut 5 departments, and Perry wants to make Congress part-time and cut their pay. Neither is going to happen, especially the part-time Congress thing, so to me it's a waste of oxygen for them to even make the claims.

  5. #75
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I voted "Maybe", though it really depends more on the CANDIDATES than the Offices as to how I choose which ones to avoid. I have been known to walk into a voting booth, cast a vote for ONE office, or just on the ballot initiatives, leave the rest of the ballot blank, and be done with it. It does tend to get some interesting looks when you take about 10 seconds to fill out a front & back ballot before heading to the check-out. I have no interest in voting AGAINST anyone, or for anyone who I do not feel is worthy of my vote. It's that simple.
    That's valid. To me, voting only what you feel serious about is informed voting. I rarely vote for or against judges because I don't know who these people are. I have left ballot inititaives blank because I didn't have an opinion either way. Nothing wrong with that.

    I have voted against someone on occasion, but only in extreme cases where I felt that person would be an absolute travesty.

  6. #76
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    That's what gets me. People are under this delusion that their vote counts, despite all of the evidence proving otherwise. The **** about "If you don't vote, then you are part of the problem" is so astronomically out of touch with reality that it boggles my mind that some people believe it. Believing your vote counts is the real problem. If people copped on to the fact that it's all a dog and pony show, maybe then the problems would actually get fixed.
    It is a way of making people feel it is their duty to vote because no one wants to be the problem. Although, in local elections, your vote actually matters more than anything else. I've read articles that say getting rid of the electoral college in order for popular vote is a way to make people's individual votes to matter more. My favorite thing ever though, is the Futurama episode about this exact subject.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  7. #77
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    That's what gets me. People are under this delusion that their vote counts, despite all of the evidence proving otherwise. The **** about "If you don't vote, then you are part of the problem" is so astronomically out of touch with reality that it boggles my mind that some people believe it. Believing your vote counts is the real problem. If people copped on to the fact that it's all a dog and pony show, maybe then the problems would actually get fixed.
    Agreed. The normalcy bias is a strong force.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  8. #78
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Neither extreme is accurate.
    What do you mean?



    I would phrase it, "If you vote, but don't vote intelligently, you are part of the problem."
    Who cares if someone votes "intelligently" or "stupidly"? The options are **** regardless because of teh two party-system. No amount of due dilligence is going to change that.

    "Intelligently" meaning doing some due diligence and assessing the candidates not only on what they promise (that you agree with), but what they can actually deliver. For example, Paul claims he will cut 5 departments, and Perry wants to make Congress part-time and cut their pay. Neither is going to happen, especially the part-time Congress thing, so to me it's a waste of oxygen for them to even make the claims.
    There hasn't been a candidate for President in my lifetime who didn't make those kinds of absurd promises. President's don't have anywhere near the power the candidates pretend they have. I haven't found one who didn't make promises they cannot possibly deliver.

  9. #79
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    There hasn't been a candidate for President in my lifetime who didn't make those kinds of absurd promises. President's don't have anywhere near the power the candidates pretend they have. I haven't found one who didn't make promises they cannot possibly deliver.
    That's a big part of my point. Too many people actually fall for this crap, thus too many people aren't voting intelligently.

  10. #80
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do you vote? (poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That's a big part of my point. Too many people actually fall for this crap, thus too many people aren't voting intelligently.
    So are you saying that casting no vote can count as voting intelligently?

    Or are you saying that, in order to vote intelligently one should totally ignore the nonsense that the candidates spew and look only at the promises they make which aren't complete and utter bull**** and then cast a vote for one of them?

    If its the former, I agree; if it's the latter, I disagree. I'll explain that more if it turns out to be the former.

    I agree 100% with the fact that too many people fall for the crap, though and thus are not voting intelligently.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 12-31-11 at 09:32 AM.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •