View Poll Results: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    109 52.66%
  • No

    98 47.34%
Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 577

Thread: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

  1. #241
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Doesn't matter. YOU may well think your limited exposure is the worst possible. It isn't according to those who run it. This is important to understand, you may think something, believe it with all your being, and be wrong. So, the testiminy of those who design it and run it matter more than yuour perception of it. And they say you are wrong.
    My limited exposure...I attended SERE, Jungle SERE and Advanced SERE. I would say my exposure is far greater than yours. Let me ask you something...if the waterboarding was a preparation for torture...why did they not put electrodes on my testicles? Or pull out my fingernails? Why just the waterboard, the box, and the smoke, and the soft cell?

    I always laugh at those who ignore factual information by raising a bar to we had to be prosecuted before what is clear is true. It really is a funny kind of denial. Fact: We did not invade under teh UN banner. The coalition of the willing specifcally means not with the UN. FACT: The UN Charter we signed says we can only act with the consent of UN security council, which we did not have, or when facing an imminent threat. Neither condition existed. Now, you can pretend all you want, but those are facts.
    I always laugh at those that can't differentiate fact from agenda driven spin...
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #242
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I did say it was hyperbole. However, at the same time a decade long occupation to bring "freedom and democracy" (which was an excuse and nothing more) is a bit imperial and we should watch what we are using our military for to ensure that the government is using it properly. I don't see a point in occupational war, particularly in absence of a formal Declaration of War.
    Whether or not you agree with the effort to keep Iraq from collapsing right back into another despotic regime or not, you can't compare it with establishing a colony by force.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #243
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    My limited exposure...I attended SERE, Jungle SERE and Advanced SERE. I would say my exposure is far greater than yours. Let me ask you something...if the waterboarding was a preparation for torture...why did they not put electrodes on my testicles? Or pull out my fingernails? Why just the waterboard, the box, and the smoke, and the soft cell?
    Yes, you have a limited view, limited to only how you preceive what happened to you. You did not get the entire waterboarding experience, and,again, those who crearted it and ran it say you did not. Now, perhaps you think you know more than they do. I suspect they would laugh at that, but it is not likley that you know as much as you think you do. You we given but a taste, nothing more. You really should read what they say.


    I always laugh at those that can't differentiate fact from agenda driven spin...
    Again, tell yourself what you have to keep your beliefs affirmed, but you've been given fact. The spin is on your part as you try to hide from the truth.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #244
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,125

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    when asked whether or not the French Revolution was a good thing, Chou En-Lai replied "it is too soon to tell".


    The ledger is not yet complete on Iraqi Freedom, and it seems we may have thrown away all our hard-fought gains at the end, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. After all of that.... because our administration was too incompetent to negotiate a SOFA treaty....


    On the up side, we have the Arab Spring. Which will create a string of Islamist regimes across the Middle East, who will go to war with the West (and Israel) and be defeated in turn, thereby delegitimizing that ideology.

  5. #245
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    when asked whether or not the French Revolution was a good thing, Chou En-Lai replied "it is too soon to tell".


    The ledger is not yet complete on Iraqi Freedom, and it seems we may have thrown away all our hard-fought gains at the end, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. After all of that.... because our administration was too incompetent to negotiate a SOFA treaty....


    On the up side, we have the Arab Spring. Which will create a string of Islamist regimes across the Middle East, who will go to war with the West (and Israel) and be defeated in turn, thereby delegitimizing that ideology.
    That would be true if the outcome was what made it good or bad. But even if Iraq becomes heaven on earth, that would not justify what was done or paid for it. Sorry.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #246
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    373

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Simple yes or no question.
    It plunged our country further into the deficit, and further down the spiral of recession....and what exactly did we get out of it? I don't see anything really really worthwhile on the positive-end that justified the cost of this war. So, NO for me.

  7. #247
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    CNN Poll: Americans agree on bringing troops home from Iraq

    (CNN) – Most Americans agree with the decision to end the war in Iraq, according to a CNN/ORC International poll released Wednesday. Almost eight in ten said they support removal of combat troops from that country by the end of this year.

    And although 96% are proud of U.S. troops who served in Iraq, just one in three consider the war a victory and more than half call it a stalemate.

    CNN Poll: Americans agree on bringing troops home from Iraq – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs


    Just a recent poll. Doesn't answer the question, but gives a snap shot of the currant thinking.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #248
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yes, you have a limited view, limited to only how you preceive what happened to you. You did not get the entire waterboarding experience, and,again, those who crearted it and ran it say you did not. Now, perhaps you think you know more than they do. I suspect they would laugh at that, but it is not likley that you know as much as you think you do. You we given but a taste, nothing more. You really should read what they say.
    Oh, Boo, you crack me up. You see, I have access to personal expirience with the subject matter and the same access to the stories and reports that you have. That makes my view wider than yours, not narrower. You keep citing "those that created it" when in reality, all you've read is the opinion of some agenda driven retired officers...and you can't see that. You don't know anything about SERE, the history of it, or have any idea who created it. It wasn't just a person, or even a handfull of people...and it has changed dramatically since it's inception. You really have no idea what you're talking about.

    Again, tell yourself what you have to keep your beliefs affirmed, but you've been given fact. The spin is on your part as you try to hide from the truth.
    What fact? What actual fact have you given? I showed you the actual polling that shows world opinion of America improving...you've shown nothing to the opposite. Tell yourself whatever you must, but you're just buying the spin.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #249
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That would be true if the outcome was what made it good or bad. But even if Iraq becomes heaven on earth, that would not justify what was done or paid for it. Sorry.
    Of course it would.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #250
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Of course it would.
    No, the ends don't justify the means. Not that making Iraq heaven was our goal to start with.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •