View Poll Results: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    109 52.66%
  • No

    98 47.34%
Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 577

Thread: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

  1. #231
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Imperial? Didn't I just read that we're leaving? Maybe I'm confused.
    British left India after some time too...doesn't mean they didn't play the Imperial card. It's a bit of hyperbole for the US in Iraq as we haven't officially declared ourselves in charge. However, the occupational decade war was still an act of imperialism; we just don't take the last step. Not yet anyway.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #232
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    the Iraq war was worth it if they become and stay a stable democracy.
    What if the Iraqi people do not want a western style democracy?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #233
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    What if the Iraqi people do not want a western style democracy?
    They're too dumb to know what they want.

    Yes, that was sarcasm.

  4. #234
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    They're too dumb to know what they want.

    Yes, that was sarcasm.
    Whew. Long ago I learned that I cannot discern sarcasm online
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #235
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Whew. Long ago I learned that I cannot discern sarcasm online
    Years ago I learned that many people truly cannot, hence the unfortunately necessary disclaimer.

    It wasn't intended for you, btw, but rather for pretty much anybody else who moseyed along and wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I find that the more extreme right/left a person is, the more they lose their sense of humor.

  6. #236
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    I try to keep a sense of humor, but I've had my jokes misinterpreted, and I've misinterpreted other's jokes. It's hard without hearing it, right, because inflection and speech really bring out the meaning of words. The same sentence can have multiple meanings. It always reminds me of a comedy skit (was it Kids in the Hall...I can't remember) where these workers at a nuclear power plant are trying to prevent a meltdown and the instructions for such a time read "You can never use too much water in a nuclear reactor". And thus the skit was a debate as to what that means. Is there a limit to the amount of water you can use, and you cannot go above it; or is there no limit to the amount of water one can use. The verbalization then of the sentence conveys the finer meanings.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #237
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    British left India after some time too...doesn't mean they didn't play the Imperial card. It's a bit of hyperbole for the US in Iraq as we haven't officially declared ourselves in charge. However, the occupational decade war was still an act of imperialism; we just don't take the last step. Not yet anyway.
    Dude, the the British left India after about 200 years. Come on, man.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #238
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Boo, I did not read about SERE, I went through it. Several times in fact, not to mention annual refreshers. I'll rely on personal first hand expirience rather than your mad internet reading skilz, I think.
    Doesn't matter. YOU may well think your limited exposure is the worst possible. It isn't according to those who run it. This is important to understand, you may think something, believe it with all your being, and be wrong. So, the testiminy of those who design it and run it matter more than yuour perception of it. And they say you are wrong.


    What it doesn't do is point to any UN complaint or refusal. Nor does it point out the many UN nations, also a party to the same agreements that joined us in the invasion.
    I always laugh at those who ignore factual information by raising a bar to we had to be prosecuted before what is clear is true. It really is a funny kind of denial. Fact: We did not invade under teh UN banner. The coalition of the willing specifcally means not with the UN. FACT: The UN Charter we signed says we can only act with the consent of UN security council, which we did not have, or when facing an imminent threat. Neither condition existed. Now, you can pretend all you want, but those are facts.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #239
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Dude, the the British left India after about 200 years. Come on, man.
    I did say it was hyperbole. However, at the same time a decade long occupation to bring "freedom and democracy" (which was an excuse and nothing more) is a bit imperial and we should watch what we are using our military for to ensure that the government is using it properly. I don't see a point in occupational war, particularly in absence of a formal Declaration of War.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #240
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Years ago I learned that many people truly cannot, hence the unfortunately necessary disclaimer.

    It wasn't intended for you, btw, but rather for pretty much anybody else who moseyed along and wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I find that the more extreme right/left a person is, the more they lose their sense of humor.
    Hey, I'm a right wing, Tea Party zealot and I take offense to you classifying me as someone who doesn't have a sense of humor!!!! Disclaimer.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •