View Poll Results: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    109 52.66%
  • No

    98 47.34%
Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 577

Thread: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

  1. #201
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    ...by people you knew were on your side and wouldn't allow any real harm to come to you.
    Ehhh, I wasn't so sure lol. You'd be surprised how realistic it gets. Lets put it this way. It isn't in a controlled environment and the guy doing it doesn't have an American accent. Its not fun, to say the least.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #202
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    ...by people you knew were on your side and wouldn't allow any real harm to come to you.
    After about three days in that training, you begin to wonder who's on your side. I can't explain it to you, believe me.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #203
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    As have I. It isn't that bad
    Those who do the training, those who crreated the training, say clearly and have said so in testimney, that what you received is not the same thing. It was to prepare you for TORTURE. They did not do what would happen to you if you were facing the real thing.

    As for you not getting facts, again, tell yourself what you have to. But that doesn't change the facts, or make what you say true.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #204
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,157

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Those who do the training, those who crreated the training, say clearly and have said so in testimney, that what you received is not the same thing. It was to prepare you for TORTURE. They did not do what would happen to you if you were facing the real thing.

    As for you not getting facts, again, tell yourself what you have to. But that doesn't change the facts, or make what you say true.
    my Christmas wish
    the opportunity to personally waterboard those who insist they have experienced it and found it not to be torture
    and to videotape those efforts for posting

    alas, santa is as real as their professions
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #205
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    the opportunity to personally waterboard
    I am also pro-waterboarding, though I have no personal desire to do it to someone else (I thnk that's a lil' messed up).
    Last edited by ecofarm; 12-20-11 at 12:11 PM.

  6. #206
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,157

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I am also pro-waterboarding.
    that comes as NO surprise
    but to your certain disappointment, this thread is not about you
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #207
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Let's see ... Iraq has a tremendous crime rate, on a daily base, more than 100 people get murdered. The standard of living is horrid, due to massive crime and corruption. The different ethnic/religious factions are not united, but there are strong tensions which might likely result in civil war, once the US are out. Chances are the Shia majority will lean towards Iran, making Iraq a new strong ally for Iran and possibly start oppressing the Sunnis.

    Although more civilians have died since 2003 in Iraq than during 25 years of Saddam's rule, and although crime is rampant, maybe the new freedom is worth it for the Iraqi people, although even this is questionable (freedom won't fill your belly, and it will not protect you from robbers and extremists murdering you either).

    But even if Iraqis might say it was worth it, was it really worth it for us in the West?

    The mission has costed more than 1.3 trillion $US, IIRC. And the result doesn't look much better, rather worse than what you got in the Arab countries which toppled their governments recently. The standing of the US was severely damaged, and for good reason. And geostrategically, not much was won (see Iran). And we're bitterly missing the money that was burnt on Iraqi sand now (just think what you could do with additional 1.3 trillion these days).

    So no, it was not worth it, IMO.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  8. #208
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    that comes as NO surprise
    but to your certain disappointment, this thread is not about you
    Oh come on, they went back for it two, three or more times. That proves they liked it, wanted it and were provoking it.

  9. #209
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Those 75 who state that the Iraq War was "worth it" do not place much value on human life, do they???

  10. #210
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    I voted no for many reasons, but chief among them is the hubris of thinking we could change a culture from without. That change has to come from within. All we have done is to remove the cork from the bottle, and what comes bubbling out has everything to do with who they are and little to do with their wanting to be like us.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •