View Poll Results: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    109 52.66%
  • No

    98 47.34%
Page 16 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 577

Thread: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

  1. #151
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Graffias View Post
    Considering that thousands of Americans are dead, tens of thousands have been wounded, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have been killed, $800 billion has been wasted, our international reputation is in tatters, and an Iraqi government is in place that is friendly with Iran, I would say it was not worth it.
    WWII is also worthless when you consider the number of military and civilian deaths, the amount of money wasted, the US international reputation having confused perceptions, and the strengthening of the Soviet Union to become a superpower.
    Just saying
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  2. #152
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No. How can a war based on lies and deceit EVER be worth it. The record is abundantly clear that Rumsfield and Cheney for decades had wanted to pursue an imperialistic agenda into Iraq. They couldn't convince the first Bush to proceed and had to wait for someone that they could control better.

    How can ANYONE say that manipulating the public and using 911 to justify an invasion of a country that had ZERO to do with 911 was worth it?
    I'm not sure an argument about the justification for the invasion can nullify the value of an invasion. I don't have a problem with someone saying "this is morally wrong, so we should not do it". But, to say, "this is morally wrong, by my standards, so it can not result in value to me" isn't a factual statement. You may not like it, but it can result in value to you. Let's say that you believe that it is immoral for people to cheat their spouse. Would you refuse to marry the love of your life because her mother was the birth product of a child born in adultery? What if you didn't know? So, you married the woman, and had a child. Would you say your child had no value because he/she was the great grand child of someone who was in an adulterous relationship?

    I think you understand that this is not so.

    If you want to argue moral outrage as a reason the war was not worth it, I think it needs to be in the context of results. Meaning, the act of going against your moral code will have future ramifications, etc. I think it can be done.

    But, I think saying "the war was a pretext so it can't result in something positive" is bogus.

    I'll give one more example: the police search a suspected felon's car for evidence on the excuse that he "appeared" to be driving while intoxicated. Would you say that the result could NEVER have been worth the ruse? What if they found the kid-nap victim alive in the trunk? What if they find a blood-soaked blanket (victim's DNA) and the murder weapon? What if they find nothing? The academic could argue that none of the results would be worth it because the ruse erodes the fabric of civilization. But, I suspect the district attorney could argue the evidence was worth it. And, I'm sure the father of the kidnap victim would argue the chance of saving his child was certainly worth it.

    To say that the ends never justify the means doesn't address reality.
    Last edited by GreenvilleGrows; 12-18-11 at 10:55 AM.
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  3. #153
    Rogue Graffias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Midwest U.S
    Last Seen
    08-26-15 @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    924

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    WWII is also worthless
    WWII was also a waste.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    WWII is also worthless when you consider the number of military and civilian deaths, the amount of money wasted, the US international reputation having confused perceptions, and the strengthening of the Soviet Union to become a superpower.
    Just saying
    Difference is there was a real threat in WWII. That really does make a difference.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,887

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Difference is that WW2 was a war and not a military occupation.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  6. #156
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Graffias View Post
    Considering that thousands of Americans are dead, tens of thousands have been wounded, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have been killed, $800 billion has been wasted, our international reputation is in tatters, and an Iraqi government is in place that is friendly with Iran, I would say it was not worth it.
    Our reputation is no different than it was before, and the rest...meh.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #157
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    1. We cannot do everything at the same time.
    Your right we cant.

    2. We must have priorities.
    Your seriously playing the card that we support freedom and prosperity?
    We SUPPORT Saudi Arabia
    We support many dicatorships and Monarchs around the world as long as they give us what they want..
    Hell history shows us we dont give a **** about democracy and freedom and prosperity. Remember Chile? As long as our corporations and government can have our way with your country and exploit your resources and labor then we will be happy and shut our mouths.
    So dont play this false "the US has a grand plan to lead the world to freedom and prosperity" card.

    3. We must use alternate means as much as possible when direct intervention and nation building would be inappropriate (for various reasons) at this time.
    Your right like overthrowing truly democratic leaders and putting into power a dictator that agrees with our economic ways. Right?


  8. #158
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    Too soon to tell for me.

    Earlier in the week BO had nice things to say about the outcome. He said this at Fort Bragg so he may have been lying to the soldier to make them feel better. He probably doesn't believe a word he said.
    What would make you happy? My opinion nothing that President Obama would satisfy you or the majority of the whining crying conservative base. What as President of the United States would you tell the troops returning from war?

    Here is my personal thought, Irag was not worth the lost of one American or Iraqi life. Some people supported the war because of misinformation provided to us by the President Bush administration, I support our fighting men and women regardless of where they are sent. I can support them by believeing in the cause they are engaged in or I can support them by questioning why they where sent into harms way.

    Now you tell me if you can what was achieved by attacking Iraq?

  9. #159
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Difference is that WW2 was a war and not a military occupation.
    That's another difference as well.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #160
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was the War in Iraq worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Our reputation is no different than it was before, and the rest...meh.
    Not entirely true. We've now shown rule of law is not important to us, so we don't have that high ground. We're shown that we'd torture, whihc means no country in the future has to worry about being held to that law, not for us. And more people see us as imperialistic than did.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 16 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •