View Poll Results: Photo ID to vote?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 66.13%
  • No

    42 33.87%
Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 826

Thread: Photo ID to vote?

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There is absolutely no reason to object to showing an ID to vote OTHER than to preserve the opportunity for fraud. Senior citizens can't get their SS checks or basic medical care without an ID. Students have them. Anyone that wants to buy liquor or smokes or drive. You can bother to register to vote, you can bother to take the time to vote, you can flash that ID to show you are who you are.
    Sure there is. You really just argue that it isn't necessary - which it isn't. The idea that requiring ID's are going to stop or even quell voter fraud is not convincing considering that you can just get a fake ID.

  2. #22
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Sure there is. You really just argue that it isn't necessary - which it isn't. The idea that requiring ID's are going to stop or even quell voter fraud is not convincing considering that you can just get a fake ID.
    the only real motivation for opposing ID to vote is so that improper voting can take place

    If someone is too stupid or too insignificant to have an ID chances are they shouldn't be voting to begin with

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the only real motivation for opposing ID to vote is so that improper voting can take place

    If someone is too stupid or too insignificant to have an ID chances are they shouldn't be voting to begin with
    Actually that's not the only real reason, but I'm not surprised that you too also fall into "Agree with my opinion or I'll tell you what you believe instead of listening to you" line of (no) logic.

  4. #24
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    I personally believe that yes you should show a drivers license or some sort of photo ID to vote...


  5. #25
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Actually that's not the only real reason, but I'm not surprised that you too also fall into "Agree with my opinion or I'll tell you what you believe instead of listening to you" line of (no) logic.
    that reason being you want people so incompetent they cannot get an ID voting?

  6. #26
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Everyone should have a photo ID. It's just a basic action that really doesn't require any hard work.
    "Imagine if everyone in Manhattan, Queens and the Bronx suddenly lost the right to vote.

    That's about the number of people 5 million and counting affected by changes already adopted or currently pending in state legislatures around the country. When all is said and done, millions more could lose the right to vote."

    Voting Rights | American Civil Liberties Union Blog of Rights: Official Blog of the American Civil Liberties Union
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #27
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Since another Presidential election is coming up, how about this topic again?

    Should people have to show their photo ID in order to vote in US presidential elections? Why or why not?
    That's fine, but good luck getting all 50 states to pass that. Last I checked, the States did election law, not the feds.

    I don't have any problem with requiring a photo ID to vote, as long as a law requiring that also makes a photo ID easier to get. It's not like it's that hard, but if you're going to make a person's right to vote contingent on it, it should be extremely easy to get.

    While I don't think it's too much to ask for an ID, I am suspicious of most of those advocating it. It's usually true that when voter turnout is suppressed, that's good for the Republican party. I wonder if the real reason it's a cause celebre on the right these days has anything to do with that....actually I don't. It's all about winning, not what's right or fair. The converse position is true for the Democrats (high turnout is good for their electoral math), so their reasons for opposing it have mostly to do with that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #28
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    That's fine, but good luck getting all 50 states to pass that. Last I checked, the States did election law, not the feds.

    I don't have any problem with requiring a photo ID to vote, as long as a law requiring that also makes a photo ID easier to get. It's not like it's that hard, but if you're going to make a person's right to vote contingent on it, it should be extremely easy to get.

    While I don't think it's too much to ask for an ID, I am suspicious of most of those advocating it. It's usually true that when voter turnout is suppressed, that's good for the Republican party. I wonder if the real reason it's a cause celebre on the right these days has anything to do with that....actually I don't. It's all about winning, not what's right or fair. The converse position is true for the Democrats (high turnout is good for their electoral math), so their reasons for opposing it have mostly to do with that.
    spot on brotha
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #29
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,517

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Awwwwh, America! Nothing like the legal right to discriminate.

  10. #30
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Awwwwh, America! Nothing like the legal right to discriminate.
    yeah people who want to buy guns are being discriminated against?

Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •