View Poll Results: Photo ID to vote?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 66.13%
  • No

    42 33.87%
Page 28 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 826

Thread: Photo ID to vote?

  1. #271
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    70 people out of millions is not a problem. Also, I didn't say it was an "infringement of right", I said it was a "restriction". I used that word for a reason. Please use my actual words instead of inserting your own.
    Having to present an id card is not a restriction as again 2 federal courts have already said. You don't know what level or number of people that were affected by the convictions or how many were initially charged and pleaded out. You have none of the details as a matter of fact and are guessing based on an arbitrary number based on 2 years of federal voting, not 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    And yes, it is no more a RESTRICTION than requiring an ID for cigarettes or alcohol, I agree. However, I don't support restrictions on action unless a significant problem is apparent. 70 people is not a significant problem. When it gets to be 1000, give me a call.

    Great.
    Yes it is great that at least some people get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #272
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    There you go again. Jumping to conclusions that I haven't made with emotional appeals that have absolutely no effect on me.
    Who said anything about an emotional appeal? You are leaving out a bunch of info. How many did it affect? How many were not even reported? How many did not get caught? How many pleaded out? etc..

    Sorry stating what amounts to your opinion on the statistic when it is very incomplete means little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #273
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Having to present an id card is not a restriction as again 2 federal courts have already said. You don't know what level or number of people that were affected by the convictions or how many were initially charged and pleaded out.
    Really? Do you have the court rulings where they used the word "restriction"? I would like to see them since from your first post, I'm getting the sense that they actually said "infringement".

    You have none of the details as a matter of fact and are guessing based on an arbitrary number based on 2 years of federal voting, not 5.
    How do you figure that I'm guessing when I say "70" and "86"? I don't understand.

    Yes it is great that at least some people get it.
    Meh, we just disagree with each other. I don't know what you're problem is. I already said that I wouldn't care if the state ensured that everyone got their IDs. You're being dramatic.

  4. #274
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Looking back at 2000 and 2004 the way the Democrats and Republicans screamed fraud, I can honestly say that is purely a matter of opinion.
    Yeahhh...you're mixing up voter fraud (which IDs apparently, but not really fix) with other federal elections crimes (which have nothing to do with IDs - see vote counting for more information).
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 12-18-11 at 11:47 PM.

  5. #275
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Who said anything about an emotional appeal? You are leaving out a bunch of info. How many did it affect? How many were not even reported? How many did not get caught? How many pleaded out? etc..

    Sorry stating what amounts to your opinion on the statistic when it is very incomplete means little.
    When you say stuff like "who cares if only a few thousand people get illegally registered and then illegally vote. Not your problem, I understand.", that's called an emotional appeal because your appealing to how much I "care". It's boring, it's a fallacy and it doesn't ever work.

    All of those questions you asked me are questions you should answer yourself. I have no idea how many were not reported. Why would I? I do know how many convictions there were and that's the best gauge we have. Do you have numbers that would make a better gauge?

    This, however, is a great read as it dispels the myth that requiring IDs will actually do something.

  6. #276
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Yeahhh...your mixing up voter fraud (which IDs fix) with other federal elections crimes (which have nothing to do with IDs - see vote counting for more information).
    No I am not. They were screaming about vote fraud. The whole Jesse Jackson with his people out there yelling "re-vote" etc. No, I know exactly what I am talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #277
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I voted no, as the negative effect in disenfranchising voters is greater than any good from addressing a non-existent voter fraud problem.
    The danger of franchising 12 to 20 million illegal alien voters far outweighs any "negative effect" of disenfranchising a few legal voters which is "non-existent" due to being extremely cheap and easy to remedy and therefore avoid.

    After all, it's not like their being rushed__They have eleven months to obtain a photo ID__There is absolutely no excuse not to have the proper identification by November 2012__Common Sense people!
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  8. #278
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No I am not. They were screaming about vote fraud. The whole Jesse Jackson with his people out there yelling "re-vote" etc. No, I know exactly what I am talking about.
    In 2000, the big thing was "hanging chads" if you remember and problems with counting votes. I don't remember much from 2004 because it was as big of deal.

  9. #279
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    When you say stuff like "who cares if only a few thousand people get illegally registered and then illegally vote. Not your problem, I understand.", that's called an emotional appeal because your appealing to how much I "care". It's boring, it's a fallacy and it doesn't ever work.
    Your whole argument is "it does not happen that much, so it's not a problem." So you tell me how else someone is to take it?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    All of those questions you asked me are questions you should answer yourself. I have no idea how many were not reported. Why would I? I do know how many convictions there were and that's the best gauge we have. Do you have numbers that would make a better gauge?
    No. And that is EXACTLY my point.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    This, however, is a great read as it dispels the myth that requiring IDs will actually do something.
    Oh yea I trust the people fighting against id laws to be fair and balanced on this issue screaming the disfranchisement mantra.

    ee the hyperlinked timeline of the Brennan Center's work on voter fraud,
    including work on restrictive photo ID requirements.
    - The Truth About Fraud

    Sorry no dice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #280
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    In 2000, the big thing was "hanging chads" if you remember and problems with counting votes. I don't remember much from 2004 because it was as big of deal.
    So because you did not know or don't remember that somehow makes my point invalid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 28 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •