View Poll Results: Photo ID to vote?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 66.13%
  • No

    42 33.87%
Page 25 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 826

Thread: Photo ID to vote?

  1. #241
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Please don't tell us you think that somehow "voter fraud" threw the last election. Promise me you have some shame, some pride and some intelligence....
    Hmmm...the last election? Last presidential election? Possibly. Some of the margins were very thin.

    How do we make sure elections are not stolen? Prove you are eligible. Then why not dip one's thumb in a bottle of dark blue ink? No thumb. No vote. Dark Blue thumb means you voted already. The first eliminates the dead, the illegals and the felons. The second eliminates the repeat voters.

    If this is acceptable we need to move on to the people who count the votes. They are the ones who determine the vote's outcome and that is where the real voter fraud occurs (in my opinion).

    Perhaps this is one place where we need chain gangs and breaking rocks in the hot sun for twelve hours a day as punishment for voter fraud. Plus, for good measure confiscate the guilty party's property, auction it off. Then give the proceeds to the other political party.
    Last edited by Misterveritis; 12-18-11 at 01:09 AM.

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The risks of a firearm going to the wrong person have far more severe consequences than a vote going to the wrong person.
    That is one perspective. When the nation's citizens come to believe that the vote is not legitimate there is one more reason for revolution. So let's make sure the vote is seen as legitimate. We must take reasonable steps to ensure that only those who are authorized to vote may do so. We also need to make sure that votes are counted properly.

  3. #243
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    I’ve been reading the posts on this thread. I’m surprised that this subject has made a root cause of the difference between people on the Right and the Left stand out. I’m going to omit any particular issue because that issue itself will become the point of discussion. I’m looking at a more root cause of the difference. Let me put it this way: Any fraud is bad, criminal, from the POV of the Right. Fraud, from the POV of the left, is bad also. And any particular incremental case of fraud is thought to be equivalently bad by both the Left and Right. The difference lies in the next step; i.e. what to do about it. The Left and Right want an easy solution to stop the fraud. The Left wants to understand the frequency of the frauds. The Right knows that any fraud is bad and must be stopped. The Left looks at the easy solutions and finds them inadequate for stopping intentional fraud by individuals. The Right knows that any fraud is bad and must be stopped. The Left analyzes effective solutions and finds the side effects will be worse than the problem. The Right knows that any fraud is bad and effective solution must be applied by the Government and the Left must be complicit in the fraud because they aren’t willing to stop large organized voter fraud or the possibility of a fraudulent voter voting. So it’s: Any fraud is bad and must be stopped. Vs. Ok there may be some fraud but the solutions are worse. Follow the rules vs. analysis. Agreement is impossible.
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 12-18-11 at 01:06 AM.

  4. #244
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    I have no problem with a Federal law requiring all Americans show a government issued picture ID, in order to vote.

    However, the cost of such an ID must be paid for by the govt.

  5. #245
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I have no problem with a Federal law requiring all Americans show a government issued picture ID, in order to vote.

    However, the cost of such an ID must be paid for by the govt.
    Well - I don't think the fed gov has the right to require one - but i imagine they'd pay for it if they did like social security cards.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #246
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    Iíve been reading the posts on this thread. Iím surprised that this subject has made a root cause of the difference between people on the Right and the Left stand out. Iím going to omit any particular issue because that issue itself will become the point of discussion. Iím looking at a more root cause of the difference. Let me put it this way: Any fraud is bad, criminal, from the POV of the Right. Fraud, from the POV of the left, is bad also. And any particular incremental case of fraud is thought to be equivalently bad by both the Left and Right. The difference lies in the next step; i.e. what to do about it. The Left and Right want an easy solution to stop the fraud. The Left wants to understand the frequency of the frauds. The Right knows that any fraud is bad and must be stopped. The Left looks at the easy solutions and finds them inadequate for stopping intentional fraud by individuals. The Right knows that any fraud is bad and must be stopped. The Left analyzes effective solutions and finds the side effects will be worse than the problem. The Right knows that any fraud is bad and effective solution must be applied by the Government and the Left must be complicit in the fraud because they arenít willing to stop large organized voter fraud or the possibility of a fraudulent voter voting. So itís: Any fraud is bad and must be stopped. Vs. Ok there may be some fraud but the solutions are worse. Follow the rules vs. analysis. Agreement is impossible.

    (if you add spacing/paragraphs to your posts they will be much easier to read for your audience. Just sayin')


    ďBuild a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.Ē

  7. #247
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    That is one perspective. When the nation's citizens come to believe that the vote is not legitimate there is one more reason for revolution. So let's make sure the vote is seen as legitimate. We must take reasonable steps to ensure that only those who are authorized to vote may do so. We also need to make sure that votes are counted properly.
    I don't see revolution because of voter fraud to be an actual possibility so that doesn't concern me. Moreover, the United States already has taken reasonable steps to ensure that only those who are authorized to vote may do so which is which why only 70 people in 5 years from 2002-2007 were convicted of voter fraud for federal elections. Those are near perfect elections.

  8. #248
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    You can do more damage with a bad vote than a gun. A shooter can take out x number of people during a rampage ruining y amount of lives but a bad politician can ruin all of our lives simultaneously.
    Actually, no you can't. A shooter can take out X number of people and a bad vote will have zero effect on an election because it's beyond negligible. Nice try, but no cigar.

  9. #249
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That wasn't the reasoning.
    The reasoning was that it is a Constitutional right, although even that is debatable, but none the less, so is firearm ownership.
    If your reasoning was just to show that firearm ownership and voting are rights, why would you mention the requirements for obtaining a firearm and highlight "show a photo ID"? You could have just said, "Owning a firearm is a right too".

    I disagree that a vote going to the wrong person is a lesser evil.
    Which doesn't make much sense considering that one gun can kill a bunch of people and one vote does absolutely nothing to a federal election.

  10. #250
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    It is very hard for the dead to get photo IDs.
    And the repeat voters would have to get reasonably good second, third, and fourth sets of photo ID...darned inconvenient.
    Illegal aliens? They would not have the opportunity to vote.

    Those categories could account for as much as 10% of the Democratic voters. And you want to disenfranchise them...some repeatedly!
    How do you know they wouldn't account for even more Republican voters?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 25 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •