View Poll Results: Photo ID to vote?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 66.13%
  • No

    42 33.87%
Page 23 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 826

Thread: Photo ID to vote?

  1. #221
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Actually, that's not true. Each right is different and must be restricted in different ways. It makes zero sense to treat freedom of speech the same way you would treat the right to bear arms. Zero sense.
    I don't agree. You say that requireing ID to get a gun, a constitutional right, is a good thing because guns can kill. Would you apply the same logic to freedom of speech even though it can kill also?

    Mass. High School Girl Commits Suicide after being Cyber-Bullied
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #222
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,491

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It's not the most extreme burden, but I'm not a fan of restricting rights unless a significant problem becomes apparent that requires a restriction Voter fraud in federal elections is negligible with less than 86 people being convicted of it in five years. That's not worth restricting rights even further, particularly when it will affect some people.
    As I keep mentioning their were only 2 Federal elections in that time frame so 86, is allot. You are trying desperately to make it sound like it is much less than it really is. You are also desperately trying to leave out state and local elections.

    That is also convictions only, how many were arrested and then went to trial? How many got off?

    Your reasoning is flawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #223
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,491

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    ThePlayDrive, correcto mundo.

    What I see in this thread is a lot of bigotry and paranoia.
    You are confusing "bigotry" and "paranoia" with common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #224
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The amount of people it will negatively effect, is about the same as the amount of people that get convicted of voter fraud.
    It's a ridiculous charge, that getting an ID is a hardship.
    And this still doesn't change my position that rights should only be restricted, no matter how small the restriction, if a significant problem affects itself. I find it funny that libertarians and conservatives are willing to add restrictions on rights for negligible problems.

  5. #225
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Since another Presidential election is coming up, how about this topic again?

    Should people have to show their photo ID in order to vote in US presidential elections? Why or why not?
    I already do. It's a means of verifying that you are who you say you are so they don't cross the wrong name off the list - really.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #226
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Owning a firearm is a constitutional right, yet I have to fill out a government questionnaire, pass a background check and show a photo ID, to purchase one.
    Cannot the director of your local militia process that for you?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #227
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I don't agree. You say that requireing ID to get a gun, a constitutional right, is a good thing because guns can kill. Would you apply the same logic to freedom of speech even though it can kill also?

    Mass. High School Girl Commits Suicide after being Cyber-Bullied
    I already articulated my "general logic" in my first post. Rights should only be restricted when a significant problem presents itself. Yelling "fire" in a theater is a significant problem - therefore, free speech should be limited in that sense. Psychos who don't need guns is also a problem, so IDs are a logical restriction Cyber-bullying is only a problem if it becomes harassment which is also a significant problem. Voter fraud - not a significant problem.

  8. #228
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Lots of things have part of their origins in other cultures and nations. That is nothing new. Basketball is suppose to go back to Mayan or Aztec culture.

    I do understand your contention that baseball is boring. It is slow and you really have to understand the nuances of the game to appreciate the slower moments. I know you love tennis but truthfully I found that also boring. I do love badminton - as a playing sport - however. To each their own I guess.
    Badminton-like table tennis-is a great sport that is not given much respect in this country.

  9. #229
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    As I keep mentioning their were only 2 Federal elections in that time frame so 86, is allot. You are trying desperately to make it sound like it is much less than it really is. You are also desperately trying to leave out state and local elections.

    That is also convictions only, how many were arrested and then went to trial? How many got off?

    Your reasoning is flawed.
    It's not a lot no matter how much you swing it because it has zero effect on the elections which is the problem that voter fraud would pose if it existed in any way that mattered.

    And it's funny that you think "I'm trying desperately to make it sound like much less than it really is". Dude, I'm literally REPORTING THE NUMBERS. What do you want me to do? Add a couple hundred just to make you happy? No, I'll report the # of convictions. Reporting the actual numbers and not manipulating them is as honest as it gets.

    In fact, I've actually increased the number from what it actually is. 86 people were convicted of federal elections crimes in general, but only 70 were convicted of voter fraud, so now that you're trying to accuse me of doing something I'm not, I'm going to be even more honest and even more inconvenient for you - 70 people, not 86, in 5 years.

  10. #230
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You are confusing "bigotry" and "paranoia" with common sense.
    There's no "common sense" in saying, "Look we have a problem that isn't that much of a problem and is probably as close to perfect as we're going to get for federal elections, so let's just add another restriction onto other people's rights." Absolutely not. I enjoy my rights and they ought not be restricted unless a significant problem becomes apparent OR unless the government ensures that every person eligible to vote gets an ID.

Page 23 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •