View Poll Results: Photo ID to vote?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 66.13%
  • No

    42 33.87%
Page 14 of 83 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 826

Thread: Photo ID to vote?

  1. #131
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    People really need to stop misusing the disenfranchisement argument.Disenfranchise - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary If you read the meaning it is simply to DENY a right. Requiring someone to prove that they are the proper person to exercise the right and not a family pet, dead person, made up name(mickey mouse has voted at one time), or stolen identity is NOT disenfranchisement and frankly every politician and other public political figure misusing the term for political reasons should be censured, fined, and jailed.
    The definition uses this sentence

    They disenfranchised poor people by making property ownership a requirement for registering to vote.
    Requiring someone to prove that they are the proper person to exercise the right
    If that requirement is something people do not have...it fits in perfectly with the sentence used by the source your getting your definition from.
    Legal citizens over 18 years of age already have the vote regardless of sex, religion, and race with the only restrictions being in some states felons or the mentally unfit so where do you expand to? Unless you mean the dead, Mickey Mouse, etc
    Of course....unless we pass laws restricting that access to someone that has a Drivers License etc.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  2. #132
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    With an ID requirement it's easier to catch them if the fake is discovered.
    Sure. I just don't think it's big enough of a problem for me to actually care about it. I just have a problem with restricting rights based on negligible problems. However, I wouldn't have a problem with requiring an ID if the government ensures that people get it. Iliveonramen suggested having people get a specific Voter ID card when they register - that sounds fine with me.

  3. #133
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Should a photo ID be required to vote? Absolutely. Is there really widespread fraud? Probably not, but then, who knows for sure? Requiring an ID would help to either confirm or put to rest the allegations of fraud. Would a photo ID disenfranchise voters? Why? Nearly everyone has a driver's license now, and anyone who doesn't drive can get a photo ID.

    Of course dead people might have a problem.....
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #134
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I voted no, as the negative effect in disenfranchising voters is greater than any good from addressing a non-existent voter fraud problem.
    Disenfranchising people that shouldn't be voting is a good thing. If you can't get some kind of ID, then there's a problem. There is no excuse not to have an ID these days.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #135
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    No...your argument is just irrational. You are stating that it's fine to basically disenfranchise millions of voters in order to stop 84 cases in 5 years of voter fraud. What next, are we going to invade Chile because someone died from a bad Chilean farm raised Salmon? You guys seem to be so blaise about making the voting process harder for millions of Americans...typically those that are worse off for less voter fraud votes needed to elect a highchool class President.



    Really...because last I checked voter fraud is a felony and he would probably no longer be the head of the DNC!

    Expanding voting rights has nothing to do with restricting them. I'm glad you admit the issue is power though instead of concerns about voting fraud.
    Who is being disenfranchised? Who, tell me whom? Tell who can't get an ID.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #136
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    The definition uses this sentence



    If that requirement is something people do not have...it fits in perfectly with the sentence used by the source your getting your definition from.


    Of course....unless we pass laws restricting that access to someone that has a Drivers License etc.
    No it doesn't. You have to prove you have the right by showing that you are indeed the person exercising the right. The rest of the definition is irrelevant which is why I didn't mention it, if it was said that people had to have property or drive their own vehicle to the polling place or pay a poll tax you would have a point, since all of those have been struck down properly by constitutional amendment there is no discussion necessary. ID is not property, it is not your property rather it is a government issued identification that you pay for which is why it is a felony to use one for the purposes of misrepresentation.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Sure. I just don't think it's big enough of a problem for me to actually care about it. I just have a problem with restricting rights based on negligible problems. However, I wouldn't have a problem with requiring an ID if the government ensures that people get it. Iliveonramen suggested having people get a specific Voter ID card when they register - that sounds fine with me.
    I do, but then again I live in one of the more historically corrupt states in the United States. Anything that changes the outcome of an election is a big deal, I don't care if it's a pizza party near the polling place, busing people to vote for a candidate by a candidate, or handing pamphlets out within the designated "no campaign" areas that many states enforce. All of those things influence or potentially so the outcome of an election and outright fraud can affect the numbers enough to make a challenge possible. No one is saying all fraud will be caught because frankly that is impossible, the idea is to make it harder to do than simply stating you are person x and signing a piece of paper to the effect. If you can't prove you are that person then how is a poll worker to know the difference?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #137
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Should a photo ID be required to vote? Absolutely. Is there really widespread fraud? Probably not, but then, who knows for sure? Requiring an ID would help to either confirm or put to rest the allegations of fraud. Would a photo ID disenfranchise voters? Why? Nearly everyone has a driver's license now, and anyone who doesn't drive can get a photo ID.

    Of course dead people might have a problem.....
    Just in the last decade alone there have been numerous reports of more people voting in a location than the census report of total living members of the community.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #138
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Since another Presidential election is coming up, how about this topic again?

    Should people have to show their photo ID in order to vote in US presidential elections? [...]
    Although it sounds like a reasonable requirement on the surface, no.

    Odds are great that a photo ID was shown to register to vote (motor-voter).

    Of those that registered independently of that, odds are that they are indeed citizens, and members of the locality (people are often canvassed at home during voter registration drives).

    After all that, you may have a small amount of illegals that vote when they technically should not. However, you have a small number of people who either do not have an ID (driver's license, probably due to legal problems) or are have outstanding warrants for their arrest (or fear they may have). Given this, they do not want to be identified, in person, by some government functionary (poll worker). While they may be criminals (or think they are), they are nonetheless citizens and, barring a current felony conviction/sentence (in some states), have the right to vote.

    So, the number of legal voting citizens that you would probably disenfranchise could equal or exceed the number of illegals who vote, making it a wash (they're all probably going to vote Democrat anyway).

  9. #139
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Just in the last decade alone there have been numerous reports of more people voting in a location than the census report of total living members of the community.
    You'd need to provide some examples of that for it to be a valid debating point.

  10. #140
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    You'd need to provide some examples of that for it to be a valid debating point.
    It's called Google. Have fun.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 14 of 83 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •