View Poll Results: Photo ID to vote?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 66.13%
  • No

    42 33.87%
Page 10 of 83 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 826

Thread: Photo ID to vote?

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And i posted factual cases of voter fraud with real live people found and convicted. It is real, it happens, and all you care about is hey...as long as its OUR guys committing the fruad (which shockingly enough ALWAYS seems to be the case).
    Why would that be the case when only 86 people from 2002-2007 have been convicted of committing federal election related crimes? OUR side doesn't benefit from the less than 86 people who were convicted of fraud. Your argument doesn't even make any sense.

  2. #92
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Why would that be the case when only 86 people from 2002-2007 have been convicted of committing federal election related crimes? OUR side doesn't benefit from the less than 86 people who were convicted of fraud. Your argument doesn't even make any sense.
    As in the case in Florida, those people convicted arent committing singular acts of vote fraud. They are casting other peoples ballots for them. The simple act of showing an ID...the same act done by people daily for the most basic of services..thats not much to ask to ensure fair elections. Unless of course you dont WANT fair elections.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    01-09-12 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Why not? We'd stop illegals from voting that way.

  4. #94
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I replaced mine not long ago...$10 for a filing fee and another $10 for ...well, can't remember now. But $20 bucks is not costly. And it would be a simple matter to get the infirm an ID. Just do what my area does...provide someone from the dmv that can come out to thier home and deal with the necessary work.
    There is no reason at all why anyone should have to pay anything in order to vote. Anything should be considered as a poll tax. BTW, I was born in NY and I think it cost me $50 to get my BC in order to get my drivers license rened here in Oregon.

    Here in Oregon we have vote by mail - our signatures are matched with our registration forms. It's a great system everyone should have it, in my opinion.

  5. #95
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    So most "voter fraud" is a mistake and there were less than 26 people over 5 years who committed organized voter fraud in federal elections. I'm just going to assume that those who are willing to go to lengths of committing such fraud are willing to pay the $100 and even if they aren't the problem is so ridiculously small that I don't care.
    Since Federal elections only happen every 2 years of course it would be low. Just because something is not rampant, does not mean it should be ignored.

    No one has given a single realistic reason why showing an ID would be an issue for the poor or elderly? Again they have no problem getting them for local, state and federal aid, so why would it be a problem for voting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #96
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    As in the case in Florida, those people convicted arent committing singular acts of vote fraud. They are casting other peoples ballots for them. The simple act of showing an ID...the same act done by people daily for the most basic of services..thats not much to ask to ensure fair elections. Unless of course you dont WANT fair elections.
    Do you NOT understand what I'm saying? Only 86 people were convicted of voter fraud. That is not even enough people to make an election "unfair" anymore than 86 people being convicted of murder in 5 years would be enough to qualify the country as "violent".

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Since Federal elections only happen every 2 years of course it would be low. Just because something is not rampant, does not mean it should be ignored.

    No one has given a single realistic reason why showing an ID would be an issue for the poor or elderly? Again they have no problem getting them for local, state and federal aid, so why would it be a problem for voting?
    I didn't say it should be ignored. I said the problem is exaggerated and inconsequential and usually the fault of mistakes rather than organized fraud.

    I already said, I don't care if IDs are required as long as the government ensures that everyone gets an ID. And it's clear that they aren't doing that.

  8. #98
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Why would that be the case when only 86 people from 2002-2007 have been convicted of committing federal election related crimes? OUR side doesn't benefit from the less than 86 people who were convicted of fraud. Your argument doesn't even make any sense.
    We only had 1 presidential election in that time??? And 2 general elections??? How many people did that 86 effect???
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #99
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,207

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Since Federal elections only happen every 2 years of course it would be low. Just because something is not rampant, does not mean it should be ignored.

    No one has given a single realistic reason why showing an ID would be an issue for the poor or elderly? Again they have no problem getting them for local, state and federal aid, so why would it be a problem for voting?
    The point is...to stop those almost non-existent cases of voter fraud...you'd make it so that millions of Americans will have problems voting. This is why those laws are being passed...

    Citizens with comparatively low incomes are less likely to possess documentation proving their citizenship. Citizens earning less than $25,000 per year are more than twice as likely to lack ready documentation of their citizenship as those earning more than $25,000.4 Indeed, the survey indicates that at least 12 percent of voting-age American citizens earning less than $25,000 per year do not have a readily available U.S. passport, naturalization document, or birth certificate

    Elderly citizens are less likely to possess government-issued photo identification. Survey results indicate that seniors disproportionately lack photo identification. Eighteen percent of American citizens age 65 and above do not have current government-issued photo ID.9 Using 2005 census estimates, this amounts to more than 6 million senior citizens.

    Minority citizens are less likely to possess government-issued photo identification. According to the survey, African-American citizens also disproportionately lack photo identification. Twenty-five percent of African-American voting-age citizens have no current government-issued photo ID, compared to eight percent of white voting-age citizens.10 Using 2000 census figures, this amounts to more than 5.5 million adult African-American citizens without photo identification. Our survey also indicated that sixteen percent of Hispanic voting-age citizens have no current government-issued photo ID, but due to a low sample size, the results did not achieve statistical significance

    http://www.brennancenter.org/page/-/...file_39242.pdf
    Last edited by iliveonramen; 12-16-11 at 12:06 PM.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  10. #100
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Photo ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Do you NOT understand what I'm saying? Only 86 people were convicted of voter fraud. That is not even enough people to make an election "unfair" anymore than 86 people being convicted of murder in 5 years would be enough to qualify the country as "violent".
    Voting should be a duty...a responsibility. We expect people to take responsibility when they are cashing a check, using a credit card, buying popcord at a theater with a debit card, buy cigarettes, buy alcohol, apply for and pick up government assistance, drive a vehicle go to the doctor, get medicine, get entry into bars, clubs, dancehalls, installations, federal buildings...on and on. It is not unrealistic or unreasonable to expect people to show a picture ID when voting. The only people that are opposed to that are people that know fraud is being committed, know who is committing it, and knows who benefits from it. Sure...its very sad that we have vermin that would cheat, lie, commit fraud. Thats tragic but a reality. It happens all across the country. It can be effectively managed with the simple act of showing that same card that every elderly person has and has to show to get services, that every poor person has and has to show to get services. No disenfranchisement. No downside.

Page 10 of 83 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •