View Poll Results: Is Intolerance Wrong?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all intolerance wrong

    9 19.15%
  • Only some intolerance is wrong

    28 59.57%
  • No intolerance is wrong

    10 21.28%
  • I honestly don't know

    0 0%
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 171

Thread: Is Intolerance Wrong?

  1. #121
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You can't force people to stop being bigots, it's a part of human nature as we all have our own bigotry. It can't be legislated away, we have been trying that since the days of slavery and it is still a problem. So what do you mean when you say "I don't think we've taken the good kind far enough at all?"
    The effects of bigotry can be forbidden legislatively. Ever notice how black folks in the South don't have to use separate bathrooms and all that lately?
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  2. #122
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Pedophile-ism
    This is where tolerance is stretched to a breaking point.
    In an absolutely perfect world, intolerance is wrong.
    But we do have the "mentally sick", and those who live in the past, the Sandusky's and the ilk....being intolerant here accomplishes nothing...
    Without debating meaning of words, the thing is we can hold pedophiles accountable under the law, properly try, convict and punish, or treat as the case may warrant (as much as treatment has any positive effect currantly). This type of thing is far more understandable and proper than denying basic rights to homosexuals, for example.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    oh really? which ritual?
    As I said, there are some really good books on this, which I haven't read since the early 80's. But I'm sure you could find one at a local library. However, I will use a conservative site to make the point:

    2. Leviticus is that book of the Law which has specifically to do with cult--sacrifice, priesthood, ritual purity. It is in this regard that it touches on homosexuality.

    (snip)

    It's true, much of the Law deals with religious activity rather than universal morality.

    Stand to Reason: Leviticus and Homosexuality

    They go on to try and explain it away, but it my point is only to show some disagree on what it actually says. I think this accomplishes that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As I said, there are some really good books on this, which I haven't read since the early 80's. But I'm sure you could find one at a local library. However, I will use a conservative site to make the point:

    2. Leviticus is that book of the Law which has specifically to do with cult--sacrifice, priesthood, ritual purity. It is in this regard that it touches on homosexuality....
    please point to actual text where it says the laws in Leviticus are only in regards to priests and religious practise, and not general rules for the Israelites.

  5. #125
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    There should be little or not tolerance for what is intolerable.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    please point to actual text where it says the laws in Leviticus are only in regards to priests and religious practise, and not general rules for the Israelites.
    It is not my point to prove what Leviticus refers to. My point is to prove there is disagreement. I think I have done that. I hearly suggest, again, that if you are really interested in the topic, go to your public library.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #127
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,367

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    I think the part of tolerance that is debateable regards "accepting behavior". I think someone can say "gays are an abomination that will rot in firey hell forever and ever. It is a most grotesque of sins. However, I support their equal rights", and one is, legally at least, tolerant. I don't go after people for general bigotry or honest opposition to a behavior, as they see it, but more correctly an orientation - or asianation. I'm unsure of the grammatical rules regarding things that refer to people (but not necessarily people directly) and the whole oriental restaurant is ok but person is not thing. Anyway, what I will not tolerate is the legal intolerance of equal citizens. When one denies another their rights (without conviction, of course), one is intolerant - there's no debating that.

    You can't have the same rights as me, under the law!

    Intolerance. Legally and beyond debate.

    I am, however, tolerant of people who are against the practice of homosexuality. If they, for example, say "I disagree with the act and the lifestyle, and I think it is a sin worthy of hell but I think they should have equal rights", then I think the person is misguided but decent (politically), not a monster. I might be so intolerant of legally intolerant anti-gay people, that I may want to take away some of their rights. I might be legally intolerant of legally intolerant anti-gay people.

  8. #128
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Leviticus isn't Christian law anyway.

    And Christian law isn't U.S. law either, by the way.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  9. #129
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,367

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Leviticus isn't Christian law anyway.
    I haven't reviewed Lev in awhile, but I'm pretty sure there is moral law in there too (not just ceremonial), which Christians are expected to obey via the Spirit - not as a Law upon them. At any rate, it's all Christian Law, as it points to a messiah and all of it is relevant to Christianity. The apostles quoted the Old Testament countless times.

    There is some debate as to what is ceremonial and what is moral law (eg. sabbath), but the debates regarding homosexuality being 'ok' I find to be very thin. They gotta let it go, like they did the 'no women speaking in church' and other stuff. Christians didn't remove the references to women (even in the NT). They chose to re-interpret, and sometimes appear to flat-out ignore, them. Same thing will happen. Christians will someday accept gays, the Spirit does not condemn nor does it discriminate. God has no favorites. We're all sinners.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I haven't reviewed Lev in awhile, but I'm pretty sure there is moral law in there too (not just ceremonial), which Christians are expected to obey via the Spirit - not as a Law upon them. At any rate, it's all Christian Law, as it points to a messiah and all of it is relevant to Christianity. The apostles quoted the Old Testament countless times.

    There is some debate as to what is ceremonial and what is moral law (eg. sabbath), but the debates regarding homosexuality being 'ok' I find to be very thin. They gotta let it go, like they did the 'no women speaking in church' and other stuff. Christians didn't remove the references to women (even in the NT). They chose to re-interpret, and sometimes appear to flat-out ignore, them. Same thing will happen. Christians will someday accept gays, the Spirit does not condemn nor does it discriminate. God has no favorites. We're all sinners.
    I wouldn't argue the Bible says it is OK. But that it really doesn't address the issue at all. As I understand it, homosexual behavior was rather common as Jesus walked the country side, yet he says nothing at all about it.

    Now, I don't pretend to be a Bible scholar, so I don't speak in absolutes. But I would think someting that causes so much consternation among religious folk, we would see something much more direct and clear.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •