View Poll Results: Is Intolerance Wrong?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all intolerance wrong

    9 19.15%
  • Only some intolerance is wrong

    28 59.57%
  • No intolerance is wrong

    10 21.28%
  • I honestly don't know

    0 0%
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 171

Thread: Is Intolerance Wrong?

  1. #111
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I agree that tolerance can be both good and bad, but as a nation, I don't think we've taken the good kind far enough at all. There is a significant portion of the population that are intolerant of same-sex relationships, same-sex adoption, Muslims, religion in general and many other things. There is still a hell a lot of damaging intolerance in the United States and some of it the reason who politicians can't even work together to get anything done.
    You can't force people to stop being bigots, it's a part of human nature as we all have our own bigotry. It can't be legislated away, we have been trying that since the days of slavery and it is still a problem. So what do you mean when you say "I don't think we've taken the good kind far enough at all?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #112
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    There are many things that I will not tolerate. I actively seek to expose, undermine, discredit, mock and discriminate against those things in many ways. In other words, I have a spine. The poll is not intelligence-friendly and thus I shall not vote.

    Do you oppose SSM? If so, you are intolerant because you are unwilling to grant the other the same rights as you have. You are discriminating against them legally. If there was SSM throughout the US, then such an opinion (as that quoted above) would not be intolerant but merely an opinion. However, as long as they don't get equal rights because of ones opinion... one is intolerant. We might note, even if SSM was legal everywhere, wanting to outlaw it would be intolerant.
    No he is not doing anything of the sort even if he did not support it. Over the top is what that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #113
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No he is not doing anything of the sort even if he did not support it. Over the top is what that is.
    When the position carries the weight of legal discrimination, it is an intolerant position. It's not just "complaining" about it or "not approving" of it. It is supporting institutionalized discrimination and that is, in fact, intolerant.

    If someone supports SSM being legal but does not approve of it or the lifestyle, that would be tolerant. But when someone crosses the line from opinion to the restriction of rights, intolerance is there.

    I'm intolerant of many things. Why can't people just admit that they are intolerant of gay people. What's the big psychological brain-fart here? Since when did universal tolerance become a virtue?!
    Last edited by ecofarm; 12-13-11 at 09:38 AM.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    On what factual basis are you making this statement?
    A little something called the Enlightenment?

    Zafirovski, (2010) argues that The Enlightenment is the source of critical ideas, such as the centrality of freedom, democracy, and reason as primary values of society – as opposed to the divine right of kings or traditions as the ruling authority.[36] This view argues that the establishment of a contractual basis of rights would lead to the market mechanism and capitalism, the scientific method, religious tolerance, and the organization of states into self-governing republics through democratic means. In this view, the tendency of the philosophes in particular to apply rationality to every problem is considered the essential change.[37] Later critics of The Enlightenment, such as the Romantics of the 19th century, contended that its goals for rationality in human affairs were too ambitious to ever be achieved.
    Link

    Hmmmm, fair market competition, religious tolerance, free and pluralistic societies like the one we created based on these very principles, opposition to the divine right of kings, the intellectual capacity of all of humanity...sounds like tolerance was a big part of this kind of thought.

  5. #115
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    When the position carries the weight of legal discrimination, it is an intolerant position. It's not just "complaining" about it or "not approving" of it. It is supporting institutionalized discrimination and that is, in fact, intolerant.

    If someone supports SSM being legal but does not approve of it or the lifestyle, that would be tolerant. But when someone crosses the line from opinion to the restriction of rights, intolerance is there.

    I'm intolerant of many things. Why can't people just admit that they are intolerant of gay people. What's the big psychological brain-fart here? Since when did universal tolerance become a virtue?!
    Because people try and make it sound like a bad word, I don't want to share the right of marriage either. It is impossible for me to see two men or women as a marriage because it takes a man and a woman dictated by my belief system. I am intolerant to the idea although I do accept it needs to happen. We can't read minds and don't know anyone's true intent unless they tell you, one persons intolerant is another common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #116
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    I'm the dumb guy that votes for the wrong option at every poll (the asterisk next to the results). I put always, but meant some. I'm pretty intolerant of child abuse, rape, murder, and genocide.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #117
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    In certain areas we have taken tolerance way too far. In others not far enough. Tolerance is not inherently a good thing.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    There are many things that I will not tolerate. I actively seek to expose, undermine, discredit, mock and discriminate against those things in many ways. In other words, I have a spine. The poll is not intelligence-friendly and thus I shall not vote.




    Do you oppose SSM? NO....5 years ago....YES...but now I tolerate it.....and support it, but I want those people to realize their situation and be tolerant of us...it works both ways.. If so, you are intolerant because you are unwilling to grant the other the same rights as you have. You are discriminating against them legally. If there was SSM throughout the US, then such an opinion (as that quoted above) would not be intolerant but merely an opinion. However, as long as they don't get equal rights because of ones opinion... one is intolerant. We might note, even if SSM was legal everywhere, wanting to outlaw it would be intolerant.
    I wish NOT for equal rights to be infringed upon..It is more than intolerable that we have in our nation otherwise intelligent people running for office who wish to deprive other of their rights.

  9. #119
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    On what factual basis are you making this statement?
    Oh, come on. Google "the Enlightenment" for instance.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  10. #120
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Is Intolerance Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    one persons intolerant is another common sense.
    No, wrong. Intolerance carries legal ramifications. If the "common sense" did not carry legal weight (or threaten to), THEN it would be just an opinion.


    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    I wish NOT for equal rights to be infringed upon..It is more than intolerable that we have in our nation otherwise intelligent people running for office who wish to deprive other of their rights.
    Then you are tolerant of gays.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 12-13-11 at 10:09 AM.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •