View Poll Results: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 66.67%
  • No

    6 13.33%
  • Maybe

    2 4.44%
  • She is a sick bitch!

    7 15.56%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 72

Thread: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Wow. So if you're being stabbed to death and someone walks right by, you're okay with that?
    They are not inclined to help me, as I am not them. Morally speaking they should, but we are not talking about that.
    Last edited by Henrin; 12-09-11 at 03:51 PM.

  2. #52
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

    Did you not notice the two guys at Penn State who were charged with exactly that crime, of not reporting it? Yes, it clearly is a legal requirement in PA.
    The difference (and it is a big difference) is that the school officials are mandatory reporters, required to report crimes of abuse and neglect under penalty of criminal punishment should they not do so. I am a mandatory reporter in my state because of my job, but not everyone is subject to those same criminal penalties. Additionally, these school officials were less than candid with the grand jury (according to their original presentment) and were charged in accusation of this violation of the mandatory reporting law. And at least one of the two admitted to having received the reports of abuse- which is almost a self-indictment.

    An entirely different issue than trying to determine what Ms. Sandusky knew or did not know about her husband's activities.

  3. #53
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    She didn't help facilitate anything here. She wasn't involved in the crime. She didn't hold them down, she didn't join in, or really anything else that could qualify. She just didn't report the crime. I do not really believe in laws about abetting unless they are actively taking part in rights of another being violated. A driver doesn't really do that.
    she's slime, however. there is no way she didn't know what her husband was about. she will be ostracized by her community and rightly so.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #54
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So what you are saying is you are OK with punishing inaction. The government can want me to do something all they want but I'm not inclined to do anything. It is a clear violation of my rights and liberty and I will not obey it.
    Oh, stop. You don't have a right to do nothing. That's like saying you have a right not to move out of the way in your car when a police car with sirens blaring comes your way. Or not pay your taxes. Sorry, but the law says you must do certain things as well as saying you must not.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  5. #55
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    They are not inclined to help me, as I am not them. Morally speaking they should, but we are not talking about that.
    As long as we understand what we're talking about.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Oh, stop. You don't have a right to do nothing.
    I have the right to do nothing. I can sit here all day long, and for the rest of my life and do nothing. I will die since,well, I am not getting up to eat, but all in all, I have the right to do nothing.

    That's like saying you have a right not to move out of the way in your car when a police car with sirens blaring comes your way.
    I do.

    Or not pay your taxes. Sorry, but the law says you must do certain things as well as saying you must not.
    I find them coming to my door and saying to me in plain English that they have a right to my property and spend it in ways I disagree with a violation of liberty. They should offer me a service in exchange for my taxes, or get lost. I will agree with a whole line of things to accomplish this, but taxes as it stands is unjust.

  7. #57
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I have the right to do nothing. I can sit here all day long, and for the rest of my life and do nothing. I will die since,well, I am not getting up to eat, but all in all, I have the right to do nothing.
    False.

    Good luck in court though. Bet the IRS will be the first ones who challenge your right to do nothing.

    I do.
    Give it up, dude.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  8. #58
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    In most states, certain people in certain professions are mandated reporters of abuse. The collegiate staff was legally bound to make the reports under PA law. But Ms. Sandusky is not, which would almost certainly clear her of any criminal wrongdoing, unless of course it can be shown (with evidence, not with speculation) that she participated in or materially supported Sandusky as he (allegedly) committed felony crimes. There is not provision in the laws of my state to criminally prosecute a person for passive knowledge of the commission of a crime without having reported it. There are, however, civil penalties which could be brought by the victims. Civil law is different because the burden of proof by a "preponderence of the evidence," rather than "beyond a reasonable doubt.

    Even then, the plaintiff would have to prove that she heard the screaming, which I doubt they can do. The argument that "it seems unlikely that she didn't hear him" would not hold up in any court. It would have to be demonstrated that either she DID hear him, by witness testimony or her own admission, or that it would be impossible for her NOT to have heard him, which could be demonstrated by physical evidence.
    I agree with this. There would/should still be the legitimate burden of proof.


    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So what you are saying is you are OK with punishing inaction. The government can want me to do something all they want but I'm not inclined to do anything. It is a clear violation of my rights and liberty and I will not obey it.
    That's where we differ. If it happens in her house, while she is there, with her knowledge, then there is no "inaction" at all. It may be a passive action, but it is an action nonetheless. She made a conscious choice (read: action) to at least allow it to happen in a place that is as much within her control as well as it is his.

  9. #59
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    she's slime, however. there is no way she didn't know what her husband was about. she will be ostracized by her community and rightly so.
    You might know more than I do here, but how are you so certain she knew? We hear news stories all the time regarding spouses who are surprised to find out that their partner has a weird perversion, a double life, a deep dark secret. We have one victim who says he shouted for help when she was in the home. We can only assume she heard him unless other information is released to show differently.

    As I said before, if they can find evidence to show she knew/witnessed/was told and failed to do anything about it then I fully support any legal action that the DA takes. If they can't, however, without any other information it's very possible she never knew until the news broke on this whole thing.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should Dorothy Sandusky Be Charged With a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    False.

    Good luck in court though. Bet the IRS will be the first ones who challenge your right to do nothing.
    I never said it was protected.



    Give it up, dude.
    Again, I never said it was protected.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •