View Poll Results: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    51 60.71%
  • No.

    33 39.29%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 174

Thread: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

  1. #51
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,104

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    YOu must know original intent
    which, within a fairly narrow range, isn't terribly difficult. heck, for the main body of the text I can purchase the original intent for $3 on my kindle.

    and how to deal with what happens when original intent no longer applies in the world we live in.
    no longer applies how?

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no longer applies how?
    I was wondering the same thing...

  3. #53
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I would love it if the ninth were used as a check against the reductions in the rights to privacy, attempts to regulate sexuality, the enforcement of religious ideas on those who do not belong to that religion. The ninth amendment basically just says that we have rights beyond those enumerated in the bill of rights.
    I agree here. No one belief or lifestyle fits all people, not even a consensus of opinion in any region of what is believed works if someone is different. Knowing that part of human nature it is natural to allow individuals as much liberty as possible with the only restrictions being the exclusions of behaviors that have a provable harm on others or otherwise infringes upon their rights.

    The tenth amendment, however, has never ever ever ever been used to prevent the federal government from exercising a power. It just says that the states get to do anything that doesn't contradict the federal government. It has been specifically held by the supreme court to work this way on several occasions.
    The tenth reserves very specific powers to the federal government and remands those not listed to the states. The tenth has been much abused since the late nineteenth century, the problem being that many politicians have expanded the definition of interstate commerce to include all transactions, the original intent was to settle interstate trade disputes and to serve as a boundry to establish where power stands. Unfortunately post civil war the mentality has become such that the federal is considered the arbiter of power differences and they tend to enhance their own interests.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #54
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    which, within a fairly narrow range, isn't terribly difficult. heck, for the main body of the text I can purchase the original intent for $3 on my kindle.



    no longer applies how?
    More difficult than you think, which is really why more peopel disagree that you credit. You side tends to assume that amy reading not within your view of it isn't seeking orignal intent. Often you are wrong on that.

    I was thinking about the second amendment, which was more about wanting to keep a citizen army than anything else. While I have no desire to outlaw guns, that rationale no longer applies. it's one reason why I think the amendment shoud be rewritten to be more specifc for the world we live in today.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    I was wondering the same thing...
    Same thing here.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I was thinking about the second amendment, which was more about wanting to keep a citizen army than anything else. While I have no desire to outlaw guns, that rationale no longer applies. it's one reason why I think the amendment shoud be rewritten to be more specifc for the world we live in today.
    No, it very much still applies. The problem is people are just scared. There is a difference.

  7. #57
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    YOu must know original intent, and how to deal with what happens when original intent no longer applies in the world we live in.
    What? Are you serious?
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  8. #58
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,104

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    More difficult than you think, which is really why more peopel disagree that you credit. You side tends to assume that amy reading not within your view of it isn't seeking orignal intent. Often you are wrong on that.
    which is a non answer.

    I was thinking about the second amendment, which was more about wanting to keep a citizen army than anything else. While I have no desire to outlaw guns, that rationale no longer applies. it's one reason why I think the amendment shoud be rewritten to be more specifc for the world we live in today.
    given that they considered the militia to be "the whole people", i'm not sure you could argue that they were first looking to maintain a citizen army as an end in its' own right.

    however, even if they did, why does that rationale no longer apply?

    and it seems that if you feel that it does, the answer is obvious - get public support and amend the Constitution. then it will be your intent that we should hew to.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    the problem being that many politicians have expanded the definition of interstate commerce to include all transactions, the original intent was to settle interstate trade disputes and to serve as a boundry to establish where power stands.
    Thank you! I have been saying this for years and people are just ignorant of the fact. Thank you again.

  10. #60
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,104

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    What? Are you serious?
    of course he is. understanding the Constitution is hard, because it was written, like, a hundred years ago.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •