View Poll Results: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    51 60.71%
  • No.

    33 39.29%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 174

Thread: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

  1. #141
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    if you say so. i don't agree, but i also don't care, as i think it's ok to own guns, within reason.
    Everything changes within language, including grammer. You don't have to agree with me but that is life. As to reasonable that is not a condition provided for in the constitution and reasonable is an opinion. Where does one draw the line at reasonable? What gives them the knowledge or authority to make such a decision considering it is extra-constitutional to do so?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #142
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Everything changes within language, including grammer. You don't have to agree with me but that is life. As to reasonable that is not a condition provided for in the constitution and reasonable is an opinion. Where does one draw the line at reasonable? What gives them the knowledge or authority to make such a decision considering it is extra-constitutional to do so?
    reasonable means no AKs in the hood.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #143
    Advisor Blue Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    01-21-15 @ 06:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    426

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Going back to OP.

    One can be a textualist in interpreting the Constitution.

    However, if phrases are ambigious, the idea of pure textualism goes out the window.
    My family is more important than my party.
    -Zell Miller

  4. #144
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    This is a good example of one not knowing how to read.

    I guess you missed this: The militia is one of many reasons to allow for an armed populace
    Isn't it the only one mentioned in the amendment? Asked earlier why some thoght it was mentioned?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #145
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    reasonable means no AKs in the hood.
    Which goes back to this, AKs are not that great of weapons in the best of hands and pretty much worthless in a thug's. They have severe rideup, fire a medium rifle round, and are not very accurate at long distances. Realistically the only real danger is the odds of a lucky shot go up somewhat but other than that they are not super weapons in any configuration including select fire. As well most of those people using them "in the hood" are most likely criminals involved in drug and gang activity and already have been stripped of their protections of certain rights including the second after their first felony conviction so there are already laws dealing with that, however these should be addressed at the state and not federal level being that the federal is disbarred of creating laws contrary to the second amendment by the mere existence of it coupled with the tenth amendment disbarment of powers not found in the enumerated powers.

    I come back to this though, many of the ridiculous laws I have seen have been deemed "common sense" by someone but really they are kind of stupid to anyone with a fundamental understanding of how firearms work and their proper safety and usage. Again, many people who claim an extra constitutional authority to dictate weapons policy don't have a functional knowledge of weaponry in general and even less so of firearms. These politicians and special interest groups feign ignorance of the constitution in order to circumvent it not just for the basis of gun control but any myriad of agenda based policy and frankly look stupid in the process.

    I must make this clear though. I am not calling people stupid for having an opinion on guns or the constitution as I believe there are no stupid opinions and people are more than entitled to that. What I call stupid are very specific political moves based on flawed constitutional application for any particular given agenda.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #146
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    reasonable means no AKs in the hood.
    No. An AK style weapon legal in the US is just a self loading rifle or carbine depending on barrel length, it is in no way an "assault rifle." An assault rifle has a shorter barrel and a select fire switch for burst/full auto as well as semi. It is less accurate than most semi auto hunting rifles. The problem is the people trying to tell us what "reasonable" is don't know squat about weapons. They get all freaked out over weapons that look like the military counterpart, and legal similarity's pretty much end there.

    Now a real AK in the hood is illegal to begin with. So what is reasonable?
    Last edited by Black Dog; 12-09-11 at 06:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #147
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    There is only one side that uses "the militia argument" and it isn't down the middle or pro-2nd. The reason being is that it is a useless argument that doesn't hold up to basic grammer or any of the framer's writings and is a desperate attempt at taking the individual protections out of the amendment. Here's a last hint, the constitution was written as a document to protect rights on the individual level by reigning in federal power and later to hold states to certain standards of rights protection.
    Yes, a reading I can do too, it provides the individual’s right to protect himself from tyranny. One shouldn’t even need a local militia.

  8. #148
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-21-13 @ 03:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    22

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Pretty easy answer... NO. Even Scalia realizes it's pretty impossible to do that. If we were to suddenly use a totally constructionist approach to interpreting the constitution, we'd still have slavery, women wouldn't vote, blacks would be 3/5 of a citizen, DC would not have voting rights, anything other than the original ratifiers of the constitution would no longer be part of the Union... it goes on and on. (I say the latter because Jefferson had to use an activist approach to execute the Louisiana purchase from France after Napoleon took it from the Spanish & sold it).

  9. #149
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by irviding View Post
    Pretty easy answer... NO. Even Scalia realizes it's pretty impossible to do that. If we were to suddenly use a totally constructionist approach to interpreting the constitution, we'd still have slavery, women wouldn't vote, blacks would be 3/5 of a citizen, DC would not have voting rights, anything other than the original ratifiers of the constitution would no longer be part of the Union... it goes on and on. (I say the latter because Jefferson had to use an activist approach to execute the Louisiana purchase from France after Napoleon took it from the Spanish & sold it).
    No that is not true. All those things were amended legally with the process set down in the Constitution.

    Talk about has no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #150
    Distributist
    Jeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    This thread is the equivalent of someone going "I love pizza" and being asked "...BUT DO YOU LITERALLY LOVE PIZZA?"
    SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie
    Thanks for your awesomeness, Jeezy.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •