View Poll Results: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    51 60.71%
  • No.

    33 39.29%
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 174

Thread: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

  1. #131
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    I had posted: When I read the complete but one sentence admendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I'm reading the words "A well regulated Militia,...; and, in your comments there is no consideration of this. So what does the "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, ..." part intend? Interesting how hard it is to interpret and agree on the the written word, with and without the understanding the intent of the architecture of the whole thing.This is an example of one's literal reading (interpretation) vs. a common different literal (interpretation) reading. So who is it that thinks literal reading is possible?
    This is a good example of one not knowing how to read.

    I guess you missed this: The militia is one of many reasons to allow for an armed populace
    Last edited by Black Dog; 12-09-11 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #132
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    I had posted: When I read the complete but one sentence admendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I'm reading the words "A well regulated Militia,...; and, in your comments there is no consideration of this. So what does the "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, ..." part intend? Interesting how hard it is to interpret and agree on the the written word, with and without the understanding the intent of the architecture of the whole thing.This is an example of one's literal reading (interpretation) vs. a common different literal (interpretation) reading. So who is it that thinks literal reading is possible?
    This has been hashed out years ago. Literally, the comma denotes that contextually there are two independent points being made, literally the second point in context is the stronger one, so literally the secondary thought dealing with one reason being militias is literally not important. The literal important point is that literally the right to bear arms is not to be infringed so literally you have nothing to stand on. So literally you are dismissed.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #133
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    This is a good example of one not knowing how to read.

    I guess you missed this: The militia is one of many reasons to allow for an armed populace
    You think I'm taking a side in this interpretation. You jump to that because of who you are and how you think. My Oh, I see. Then... comes from my behavior as an architect and design engineer and I like to apply it here. You have forgotten the basis, essence, of this poll.
    And to continue this fun one can take the position that to have a militia you need to have an armed populace, i.e. the militia has the right to defend the populace from tyranny from a ‘higher’ force by having an armed populace to serve the militia’s authority to defend the locals.

  4. #134
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    This has been hashed out years ago. Literally, the comma denotes that contextually there are two independent points being made, literally the second point in context is the stronger one, so literally the secondary thought dealing with one reason being militias is literally not important. The literal important point is that literally the right to bear arms is not to be infringed so literally you have nothing to stand on. So literally you are dismissed.
    literally, a semi-colon would have been appropriate in that case.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #135
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    You think I'm taking a side in this interpretation. You jump to that because of who you are and how you think. My Oh, I see. Then... comes from my behavior as an architect and design engineer and I like to apply it here. You have forgotten the basis, essence, of this poll.
    And to continue this fun one can take the position that to have a militia you need to have an armed populace, i.e. the militia has the right to defend the populace from tyranny from a ‘higher’ force by having an armed populace to serve the militia’s authority to defend the locals.
    There is only one side that uses "the militia argument" and it isn't down the middle or pro-2nd. The reason being is that it is a useless argument that doesn't hold up to basic grammer or any of the framer's writings and is a desperate attempt at taking the individual protections out of the amendment. Here's a last hint, the constitution was written as a document to protect rights on the individual level by reigning in federal power and later to hold states to certain standards of rights protection.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #136
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    literally, a semi-colon would have been appropriate in that case.
    Today, not back then. Grammer, like everything else has changed somewhat but the main point is that the comma within the context of the law denotes the difference between two independent thoughts.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #137
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What you write and what you sign are not comparable. It is your duty above all else to understand any contract you sign and that includes the constitution itself. If they did so or not is another subject, but this truth should be understood in any thing you sign your name on in agreement. If you don't you have failed yourself, no one has failed you.
    Two things -

    1) It doesn't matter who has failed whom. That's a meaningless digression.

    2) You don't know what you're talking about with respect to contract law at all. One of the basic tenets of contract law is that if one or both parties have materially different interpretations of a contract, the party that is innocently mistaken usually wins out (if both are innocently mistaken, the contract can be voided). Moreover, where certain provisions of a contract are vague (as is emphatically the case with respect to the Constitution, which is only marginally a contract in any case) that can be grounds for either annulment of the contract, or reinterpretation by a judge.

  8. #138
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    You think I'm taking a side in this interpretation. You jump to that because of who you are and how you think. My Oh, I see. Then... comes from my behavior as an architect and design engineer and I like to apply it here. You have forgotten the basis, essence, of this poll.
    What?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    And to continue this fun one can take the position that to have a militia you need to have an armed populace, i.e. the militia has the right to defend the populace from tyranny from a ‘higher’ force by having an armed populace to serve the militia’s authority to defend the locals.
    I am not taking any side, you were wrong as he did mention it.

    To be honest I can barely understand what you are typing???
    Last edited by Black Dog; 12-09-11 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The constitution does not mention my right to own a gun. Don't believe me? See if you can find the word "gun" anywhere in the constitution.

    I have a right to bear arms. I'm bearing two, one attached to each shoulder!

    (hey, we're being literal aren't we?)
    This is carrying "literal" to silly extremes.
    But then, some do this as a matter of course.
    About 20% here, roughly...

  10. #140
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are you a Literal Constitutionalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Today, not back then. Grammer, like everything else has changed somewhat but the main point is that the comma within the context of the law denotes the difference between two independent thoughts.
    if you say so. i don't agree, but i also don't care, as i think it's ok to own guns, within reason.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •