View Poll Results: Choose which option fits your view the best:

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I live in a country with UHC and I would never want privatized-only medicine

    12 24.49%
  • I live in a country with UHC and I do want privatized-only medicine

    2 4.08%
  • I live in a country with privatized-only medicine and I want UHC

    24 48.98%
  • I live in a country with privatized-only medicine and I would never want UHC

    8 16.33%
  • I live in a country with privatized-only medicine and I want a public option only

    3 6.12%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 107

Thread: UHC vs Privatized Care

  1. #91
    Professor
    bowerbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    australia
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,430

    Re: UHC vs Privatized Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    This is true. However, i must note: A single payer system will be far too reliant on taxpayers to provide the funding needs for research and developing. Therefore, a competitive balance between both public and private health care initiatives, where the most high risk individuals (aka the elderly, or those afflicted from chronic disease) are kept off of private risk pools, so low risk individuals can actually pay a price for premiums that accurately reflect potential liabilities.
    I disagree about the research and funding because we have some kick arse research happening here. To look at just a couple - try the HPV vaccine, At present they are working on a Malaria vaccine - something few others will touch because there is no money in it for private enterprise since most people suffering from Malaria live in third world countries
    Greenhouse gases: Any gas that, by an accident of chemistry, happens to absorb radiation of a type that the Earth, by an accident of history, would like to lose.
    The internet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhoea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind- boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.


  2. #92
    Cammunist Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    986

    Re: UHC vs Privatized Care

    Quote Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
    I disagree about the research and funding because we have some kick arse research happening here. To look at just a couple - try the HPV vaccine, At present they are working on a Malaria vaccine - something few others will touch because there is no money in it for private enterprise since most people suffering from Malaria live in third world countries
    I'm sure that the Oz government kicks in a fair bit of money through the CSIRO. Will try and find some figures
    .

  3. #93
    Professor
    bowerbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    australia
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,430

    Re: UHC vs Privatized Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    I'm sure that the Oz government kicks in a fair bit of money through the CSIRO. Will try and find some figures
    .
    It is not just CSIRO though - there is a LOT of medical research going on in this country - every major hospital has a research centre. Crikey! Even we have a "research nurse" and we are a smallish outback rural hospital
    Greenhouse gases: Any gas that, by an accident of chemistry, happens to absorb radiation of a type that the Earth, by an accident of history, would like to lose.
    The internet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhoea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind- boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.


  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: UHC vs Privatized Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    This is true. However, i must note: A single payer system will be far too reliant on taxpayers to provide the funding needs for research and developing. Therefore, a competitive balance between both public and private health care initiatives, where the most high risk individuals (aka the elderly, or those afflicted from chronic disease) are kept off of private risk pools, so low risk individuals can actually pay a price for premiums that accurately reflect potential liabilities.
    That seems like the problem we have now. Scooting the sick off to never never land and private insurance enjoys profit on the healthy.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UHC vs Privatized Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    This is true. However, i must note: A single payer system will be far too reliant on taxpayers to provide the funding needs for research and developing. Therefore, a competitive balance between both public and private health care initiatives, where the most high risk individuals (aka the elderly, or those afflicted from chronic disease) are kept off of private risk pools, so low risk individuals can actually pay a price for premiums that accurately reflect potential liabilities.
    If you look, I believe you will find the tax payer already carries that burden. Much of research is done at teaching hospitals and research schools largely financed by the government. The private stuff is no where near as large as some think. I looked this up once for folks, and it was very time consuming, so I would prefer others look for it as I am busy at the moment.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #96
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: UHC vs Privatized Care

    The idea that good research cannot be funded by the government is preposterous. I don't see any private companies in the US building a large hadron collider, do you?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #97
    Professor
    bowerbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    australia
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,430

    Re: UHC vs Privatized Care

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    The idea that good research cannot be funded by the government is preposterous. I don't see any private companies in the US building a large hadron collider, do you?
    Most research is actually done in universities and the pharmaceutical industry buys the basic research and takes it from there. They do less basic research than they would have you believe.
    Greenhouse gases: Any gas that, by an accident of chemistry, happens to absorb radiation of a type that the Earth, by an accident of history, would like to lose.
    The internet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhoea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind- boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.


  8. #98
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: UHC vs Privatized Care

    Quote Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
    I disagree about the research and funding because we have some kick arse research happening here. To look at just a couple - try the HPV vaccine, At present they are working on a Malaria vaccine - something few others will touch because there is no money in it for private enterprise since most people suffering from Malaria live in third world countries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If you look, I believe you will find the tax payer already carries that burden. Much of research is done at teaching hospitals and research schools largely financed by the government. The private stuff is no where near as large as some think. I looked this up once for folks, and it was very time consuming, so I would prefer others look for it as I am busy at the moment.
    Industry is picking up about 57% of the tab for medical investigation, with the National Institutes of Health kicking in another 28%, reported researchers in a special issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, previewed at a press briefing here.

    Overall industry spending on drug, biotechnology and medical device research increased by 102%, from $26.8 billion in 1994 to $54.1 billion in 2003.
    Source

    Also, the U.S. is the global leader in biomedical research, attributing about 80% of the total global R&D expenditures for this sector.

    This study presents a US perspective. However, previous analyses indicate that about 70% to 80% of total global biomedical research and development is sponsored by the US public sector, US-based foundations, and US-headquartered corporations


    source
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #99
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: UHC vs Privatized Care

    There weren't nearly as many votes as I would have liked (though luckily the conservative spam bots haven't ruined this poll yet also), but I think this poll still overtly shows the divisiveness of the current system, and the unitedness of those under UHC.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UHC vs Privatized Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Source

    Also, the U.S. is the global leader in biomedical research, attributing about 80% of the total global R&D expenditures for this sector.





    source
    Government funding for medical research amounts to approximately 36% in the U.S.

    Funding of science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Cancer Research Funding

    Cancer Research Funding - National Cancer Institute

    Why Is Long-Term Government Funding for Biomedical Research So Critical?

    Why Is Long-Term Government Funding for Biomedical Research So Critical? • American Gastroenterological Association (AGA)

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •