View Poll Results: Would you approve of the individual mandate if it were passed as an amendment?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 7.32%
  • No

    37 90.24%
  • Possibly/Other

    1 2.44%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 103

Thread: To those against Obamacare -

  1. #1
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    To those against Obamacare -

    Assuming you are against the 'individual mandate' clause, would you support it if it were instead passed as an Amendment to the constitution?

    My issue with most liberal-based legislation is that it continues to change the interpretation of the words in the constitution to allow for such legislation. The more we change the meaning of clauses, the less important those clauses become (and eventually, anything can be done under the clauses which render them useless). We once thought it necessary to amend the constitution to abolish alcohol. Now look what we get away with!

    I'm a constitutionalist. Which does not imply that I don't want to amend it or even that I don't want a bigger government necessarily. But if you don't have 2/3's approval in Congress and 75% of the states ratifying an increase of powers, than such an increase is not appropriate.

    I'm personally on the fence about an individual mandate clause, depending on what it says exactly. But I'm absolutely against such a law without a constitutional amendment.

  2. #2
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: To those against Obamacare -

    I don't particularly like the idea of the government being given the authorization or legal power to mandate specific items for purchase, nor them being given the authorization or legal power to penalize us via legal proceedings if we fail to comply. It opens the door to a lot of possibilies that benefit the authority and penalize the electorate and I don't like it. Changing the constitution to allow such power wouldn't make it any more logical.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #3
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: To those against Obamacare -

    I kinda fall on the fence on Obamacare in that I think it was better than doing nothing, but that it was far from ideal. Since I am not really "against" Obamacare however I won't vote in your poll and mess up your results. However....

    I tend to oppose amending the constitution for minor things or passing political fads. I think health care reform can be done without amending the constitution and would oppose such an amendment.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #4
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: To those against Obamacare -

    I definintely don't like Obamacare. It wouldn't bother me a bit if it got completely thrown out so we could start over. I am all for healthcare assistance but I think it should be done through the existing Medicare and Medicaid system.

  5. #5
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: To those against Obamacare -

    The biggest problem in healthcare is layers upon layers of bureaucracy on the federal level, that being said the worst thing possible would be to set in in stone by amendment. The best possible thing to do would be to strip out years of ridiculous overregulation and remand much of the coverage and health standards back to the states where they belong.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #6
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: To those against Obamacare -

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I kinda fall on the fence on Obamacare in that I think it was better than doing nothing, but that it was far from ideal.

    Sometimes, doing nothing is better than a particular proposed action. I think that ObamaCare is a perfect example. It's one thing to do nothing whatsoever to solve a problem; it's something else entirely to do implement a “solution” that will only make the problem much worse than it otherwise would be. The Obama administration has been all about such “solutions”.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  7. #7
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: To those against Obamacare -

    Do we need to consider an amendment for what we've been doing for decades? That is requiring hospitals and other institutions to accept people that can’t and won’t pay and provide them care for ‘emergency’ health issues.
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 11-30-11 at 07:47 PM. Reason: clarify

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,352

    Re: To those against Obamacare -

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    Assuming you are against the 'individual mandate' clause, would you support it if it were instead passed as an Amendment to the constitution?

    My issue with most liberal-based legislation is that it continues to change the interpretation of the words in the constitution to allow for such legislation. The more we change the meaning of clauses, the less important those clauses become (and eventually, anything can be done under the clauses which render them useless). We once thought it necessary to amend the constitution to abolish alcohol. Now look what we get away with!

    I'm a constitutionalist. Which does not imply that I don't want to amend it or even that I don't want a bigger government necessarily. But if you don't have 2/3's approval in Congress and 75% of the states ratifying an increase of powers, than such an increase is not appropriate.

    I'm personally on the fence about an individual mandate clause, depending on what it says exactly. But I'm absolutely against such a law without a constitutional amendment.
    I would have no problem with an attempt at an amendment, since I doubt that it would pass anytime soon. That, of course assuming that the present bill was repealed in the meantime.

  9. #9
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: To those against Obamacare -

    Here's a better question: would you be in favor of Obamacare if there were no individual mandate at all? That's the issue that seems to garner the most visceral reaction.

    But hey, I was in favor of a public option, so what do I know.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #10
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: To those against Obamacare -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Sometimes, doing nothing is better than a particular proposed action. I think that ObamaCare is a perfect example. It's one thing to do nothing whatsoever to solve a problem; it's something else entirely to do implement a “solution” that will only make the problem much worse than it otherwise would be. The Obama administration has been all about such “solutions”.
    There is a discussion there, but this is the wrong place to have it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •