View Poll Results: Would you set up your own independent state, if you have the chance?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 35.48%
  • No

    6 19.35%
  • Why bother?

    8 25.81%
  • It's impossible

    3 9.68%
  • It's possible

    4 12.90%
  • I like things like they are

    1 3.23%
  • I don't care

    3 9.68%
  • I don't know

    2 6.45%
  • They won't let me

    5 16.13%
  • I already have

    6 19.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Set up a state?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Set up a state?

    Quote Originally Posted by coolwalker View Post
    You would need permission from whatever state you wanted to have a chunk of and I doubt any state would be willing to give up land.
    How about if you buy the land fair and square?
    After all, isn't self-reliability and self-governance part of the American tradition (considering that most of the US has German ancestry, I can see why. ).

  2. #12
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Set up a state?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Would you set up your own independent state, if you have the chance politically, territorially and financially?
    If I had the political influence, land, and financial ability to set up my own state, I wouldn't need to set up my own state.
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Set up a state?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    At the end of the 18c there were approximately 300 sovereign states in Germany.
    Since then we have seen large consolidation of power worldwide.

    Would you set up your own independent state, if you have the chance politically, territorially and financially?
    Interesting...many nations world-wide were at this stage....in the dark ages.
    Is this what the Liberations and conservatives want ?

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Set up a state?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    How about if you buy the land fair and square?
    After all, isn't self-reliability and self-governance part of the American tradition (considering that most of the US has German ancestry, I can see why. ).
    I think this not to be true, unless you really stretch things.To say that America is diverse is an understatement.

  5. #15
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Set up a state?

    As a Libertarian, I'm philosophically opposed to Nation-States, as a concept. However; I would be quite interested in establishing a decentralized Anarchosyndicalist federation.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  6. #16
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Set up a state?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    At the end of the 18c there were approximately 300 sovereign states in Germany.
    Since then we have seen large consolidation of power worldwide.

    Would you set up your own independent state, if you have the chance politically, territorially and financially?
    No. I like in this world with other humans. It's important that we find ways to get along with each other. Especially considering that there's 7 billion of us on this planet. There's too little space for so many individuals to have a nation unto themselves.

    I know it's not easy, but dealing with the realities that we all have to work together in some way or form is much preferable to the fantasy that we can each have our own way in regards to our relationships with other people.

    So if given the chance, no, I would not want to set up my own state. I would, however, be more than willing to work within a constitutional convention to decide how I and the others in my country will choose to be governed.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Set up a state?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    At the end of the 18c there were approximately 300 sovereign states in Germany.
    Since then we have seen large consolidation of power worldwide.

    Would you set up your own independent state, if you have the chance politically, territorially and financially?
    I'm not sure that it would be viable for a single person to do so.

    However, it would seem perfectly reasonable for a subset of the population to extricate themselves from their current social contract and to establish a new social contract among themselves, instituting a new government over the territory in which they live.

  8. #18
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Set up a state?

    I wish I had the power to throw away a few states from the USA.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Set up a state?

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    I wish I had the power to throw away a few states from the USA.
    as do I.

    ..........

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Set up a state?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    I think this not to be true, unless you really stretch things.To say that America is diverse is an understatement.
    So, what happened with freedom, the freedom of consciousness in the first place? Isn't America a free country anymore? The freedom to live a life as you (and your friends, of course) consider right, not some bureaucrat 2000 miles away?
    And please, don't tell me that choosing between Pepsi and Coke is freedom. It's not, it's a "false dilemma".

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    No. I like in this world with other humans. It's important that we find ways to get along with each other. Especially considering that there's 7 billion of us on this planet. There's too little space for so many individuals to have a nation unto themselves.
    Right, let's establish a global government and end the argument, huh?
    I'd rather have the 300 German states ot the Italian city-states.

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I know it's not easy, but dealing with the realities that we all have to work together in some way or form is much preferable to the fantasy that we can each have our own way in regards to our relationships with other people.
    Living together doesn't mean you have the right to impose me your views, nor do I have the right to impose mine on you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •