View Poll Results: Am I being politically correct in the example given?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is PC

    20 46.51%
  • No, that is not PC

    14 32.56%
  • Maybe, there is not enough information

    8 18.60%
  • I have no idea

    1 2.33%
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 286

Thread: Politically Correct?

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    The reaction is what makes the initial action of any consequence. If it weren't for people bitching and whining about being offended, the action wouldn't be important in and of itself.
    But why does people "bitching" about a term they deem offensive matter so much? People have whined about things I say, but it has little to no impact on my life and their whining is of zero importance to me. It seems to me that those who think people being offended is a problem are those who chose to make it a problem because people are offended by things I say, I just take their offense to mean that we aren't compatible as friends, nothing more.

  2. #82
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,409

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Why should i be expected to treat every individual how "they want to be treated"? And how is that even possible?
    It's not possible. This is why there needs to be some level of rational societal standard, otherwise it's just chaos, which serves neither side well. There are some people at one end of the spectrum that need to toughen up and not get their undies in a wad over anything and everything. By the same token, there are people on the other end of the spectrum that need to lighten up and quit being such douchebags to other people.

  3. #83
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    But why does people "bitching" about a term they deem offensive matter so much? People have whined about things I say, but it has little to no impact on my life and their whining is of zero importance to me. It seems to me that those who think people being offended is a problem are those who chose to make it a problem because people are offended by things I say, I just take their offense to mean that we aren't compatible as friends, nothing more.
    It doesn't matter to me unless such stupidity is being forced upon me. Otherwise, mocking such weaklings is entertainment enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It's not possible. This is why there needs to be some level of rational societal standard, otherwise it's just chaos, which serves neither side well. There are some people at one end of the spectrum that need to toughen up and not get their undies in a wad over anything and everything. By the same token, there are people on the other end of the spectrum that need to lighten up and quit being such douchebags to other people.
    If refusing to bow down to other people's ridiculous demands makes me a douche bag, then so be it. It's not as if any of them give a **** about what I want.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  4. #84
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    The reaction is what makes the initial action of any consequence. If it weren't for people bitching and whining about being offended, the action wouldn't be important in and of itself.



    Forcing others to comply with certain language requirements is an example.

    Another pathetic example of pc gone mad is the fact that Christmas break can no longer be called Christmas break. It's now "winter break." When will this foolishness end?
    being forced to call christmas break "winter break" is plain stupid, i agree. this is not the type of pc i am referring to, though. how does calling a break "christmas break" harm anyone? it doesn't. but calling a kid retarded instead of learning disabled or whatever CAN hurt. there's the difference.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #85
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    being forced to call christmas break "winter break" is plain stupid, i agree. this is not the type of pc i am referring to, though. how does calling a break "christmas break" harm anyone? it doesn't. but calling a kid retarded instead of learning disabled or whatever CAN hurt. there's the difference.
    I wouldn't call a learning disabled child retarded. I refuse to be cruel to kids. But stupid adults on the other hand-
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #86
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I never said that you should "take into account every person on the planet". I never said that "there is a right to be offended". I never said anything about "people who spend their time being offended". People who spend their time responding to arguments that have never been made might want to take a look in the mirror and discover the reason why.
    The core of most political correctness is coming up with terms which are so bland and lifeless that nobody can conceivably take offense. I don't play that game. I don't try to offend the person I'm talking to, but if they, or someone listening, get offended, that's their fault for being over-sensitive.

  7. #87
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The core of most political correctness is coming up with terms which are so bland and lifeless that nobody can conceivably take offense. I don't play that game. I don't try to offend the person I'm talking to, but if they, or someone listening, get offended, that's their fault for being over-sensitive.
    Why does it have to be someone's fault? Why isn't just two people with two different takes on a word clashing?

  8. #88
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Or just...an accurate descriptor of someone who is American.
    Then just use the word "American". That's a nationality, nothing about skin color belongs with it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #89
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Why does it have to be someone's fault? Why isn't just two people with two different takes on a word clashing?
    Because one person is being offended. It's not two people using different words, it's one person getting pissed they're not both using their choice of words.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #90
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Then just use the word "American". That's a nationality, nothing about skin color belongs with it.
    People can say what they want.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •