View Poll Results: Am I being politically correct in the example given?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is PC

    20 46.51%
  • No, that is not PC

    14 32.56%
  • Maybe, there is not enough information

    8 18.60%
  • I have no idea

    1 2.33%
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 286

Thread: Politically Correct?

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    A simple 'No.' would suffice, but I have to have at least ten characters in my response.

    "Not necessarily" would probably be more accurate, which is exactly what qualifies it as being PC... the grouping together in an attempt to be fair all the while ignoring the intended purpose and being overly broad.
    It can be PC, but it's can also be just a way of accurate stating an ethnic category. Consequently, your initial statement was inaccurate. That was my only point.

  2. #52
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,586
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much the definition of PC. Modifying behaviour so as not to give unnecessary and unintended offence.
    To me, PC is about trying to control language. Trying not to randomly offend people is courtesy, not political correctness. By your definition, not belching in some ones face would be PC, and I don't think it is, I think it is just common courtesy.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  3. #53
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,586
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    "Oriental" has traditionally referred to Chinese, Japanese, and Korean ethnicities. "Asian," as it is used today, covers a much broader group of people. So I'd say it's not simply a matter of political correctness, but a shift in terminology due to the fact that we have more folks in this country of Asian origin who aren't Orientals than we did when the term "Oriental" was more in vogue.
    When the conversation happened, I looked it up to be sure I was right(I do this alot). Technically, Asian is the correct term for people from Asia or of Asian descent and not Oriental, which is considered generally derogatory. However, this is very weak I think is the best way to describe it. Most people when using the term Oriental are not using it to offend, and many Asian people do not know the difference.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  4. #54
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,586
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're being very PC, because I bet you wouldn't normally make a reference to, "oriental", food vice, "Asian", food.
    Food is an object, hence Oriental is technically correct.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  5. #55
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,586
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    personally, i don't see why anyone thinks being "PC" is wrong. if there's a chance that a person would think you were being rude, why not avoid that? for me, it's common courtesy, good manners. which some people seem to think can be overlooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Because it's idiotic to tippy-toe around people's silly sensibilities. People should have more important things to get excited about and if they don't, there's something wrong with them.

    Besides that political correctness is nothing but thought engineering, that sometimes results in trampling on our liberties.
    Apdst, to me it depends. It's the difference between making a big deal about it, and just passively doing something. If I was trying to tell people "oh mu god, don't use Oriental, it's offensive", that would be PC. Doing it myself, that is just me trying to be polite. Part of what I was thinking when I made this thread was how we overuse the term PC and make it into a big negative, when a person just trying to not offend others is not really to my mind PC, it is just showing common courtesy. I am not tippy-toeing around any one's sensibilities. Realistically, the other person's reaction and thoughts are not important, it's doing what I, myself feel is right.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  6. #56
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,586
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    polite people respect others and their sensibilities.
    Yes and no. I might add a "within reason" to the end of that. Many years ago I had a conversation with a friend of mine and he was talking about bringing up his daughters(1 and 3 years old at the time) and some of the complications he would run through his head. For example, he felt the golden rule was improperly worded. It should not be "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", since there is no guarantee that the other person wants to be treated the same way you do, and in fact they probably didn't in all aspects. The rule more properly should be "do unto others as they would have you do unto them". The problem though was to not just teach his daughters his version of the rule, but to teach them it in such a way they did not end up as sycophants or similar. There has to be a line drawn where there are reasonable expectations for how people should treat you, and unreasonable.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  7. #57
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,586
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I agree, but people who are overly sensitive need to grow up, too.

    My point is, political correctness has, in more than one instance, been used for thought control.
    And this is a good point, and it is where I kinda draw the line between PC and courtesy. Courtesy is how I think I should treat others. PC is trying to control how people treat others, if that makes sense. In my example, it is the former, not the latter.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  8. #58
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,091

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I know it's not politically correct and I've mentioned in other threads about political correctness that I say it without complaining about other people's reactions to it and PC in general. Social retards, as I said in my post, are the people "who relentlessly complain about political correctness". If you say a word, you should be willing to accept the consequences of it and not run around whining and bitching about how unfair it is to you that people don't like it when you say "black" instead of "African-American".
    Wow, that's a lot of spin to justify your use of a non-PC term while complaining about a lack of "common courtesy" in others. What's the PC term for that? Consistency challenged?

  9. #59
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,780

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of spin to justify your use of a non-PC term while complaining about a lack of "common courtesy" in others. What's the PC term for that? Consistency challenged?
    It's the hypocrisy of what "tolerance" has evolved to be.

  10. #60
    °Selah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It's pretty childish and egotistical to treat other people however you feel like treating them without considering how they prefer to be treated which seems to be the MO of most people who complain about political correctness.
    Why should i be expected to treat every individual how "they want to be treated"? And how is that even possible?
    ďIn politics, stupidity is not a handicap.Ē -Napoleon

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •